Recurrent uke dream

NatalieS

Reaction score
I tend to have bad dreams in general. I have a recurrent uke dream where people ask me to play uke, and when I pick it up, the strings make no sound no matter how hard I strum them. I then get a panicky feeling and people act disappointed and leave.

Last night the dream went one step further. I was trying to play my Kamaka and, again, no sound was coming from the strings. I turned it over and there were two huge cracks in the side, separating the uke almost into two pieces. Talk about a nightmare!

I wonder why I have this same dream, every month or so...

That dream will never come true dont worry. The ukulele is forever.

Although there is really no empirical evidence to support Freudian dream analysis, some Psychotherapsts believe in it. Someone might say that your dream is a manifestation of your insecurity regarding your ability to play well. Essentially, the fact that no Sind comes out could represent your perceived inability to generate pleasing sounds from the instrument. The instrument itself may represent something like your voice to the world. The fact that it makes no sound may represent your feeling that people don't listen to you or value your opinion. Then again, as Freud often said, "Sometmes a cigar is just a cigar". Best wishes to work through this.

Although there is really no empirical evidence to support Freudian dream analysis, some Psychotherapsts believe in it. Someone might say that your dream is a manifestation of your insecurity regarding your ability to play well. Essentially, the fact that no Sind comes out could represent your perceived inability to generate pleasing sounds from the instrument. The instrument itself may represent something like your voice to the world. The fact that it makes no sound may represent your feeling that people don't listen to you or value your opinion. Then again, as Freud often said, "Sometmes a cigar is just a cigar". Best wishes to work through this.

Wow that's deep, and it makes it sound like I'm really insecure! I didn't read that much into it, haha.

Aloha Natalie,
In your case, I think Freud was wrong....he he We all like you playing, and I think you're happy with your playing too! For me, I don't read into things that deep as it can get complicated...MM Stan

I had the same dream yet again last night. I was trying to play my Kamaka and the strings almost felt like rubber. No matter how hard I strummed there was no sound. When I looked inside the uke, the inside was covered with a layer of sap/oil. It was the weirdest nightmare, but I woke up to discover my beloved uke is still safe, sound, and making music. Whew...

I think on some level that dreams mean something, but may not mean anything to do with the ukulele but other areas of your life.. I don't want to try and analyze it, either way I am glad that your beloved uke is OK. I have never heard you play, because you took your site down in one of the first posts that I remember... sigh..
I hope that all that is situated now. Please let us know when you go public with your music again. I would love to hear you play.

@Mendel: I am impressed. Personally I would have just said it was only a dream :)

My recurring dreams usually don't involve ukuleles. They do, however, involve 23-year-old twins in bikinis both carrying bottles of pinot grigio, a yak, a hot tub, a Tibetan monk, two ducks, several feel of rope, and a PC running MS DOS.

And sometimes a Macbook, but it never works.

Wonder what my dreams mean?

I think that is a common theme among dreams, but not specifically about ukuleles.
Such as: Being in a battle and the gun won't shoot, needing to shout to someone but can't make any sound, trying to get away but your legs or car won't work, need to call for help but can't get your phone to work etc.

Do a search for "dream gun won't shoot" or anything similar to the above suggestions and you'll see this sort of dream is common with alot of variations depending upon what the dreamer is into.

Okay I looked up dreams where you can't scream, because that seemed to be along the same lines. The common answer was that if you can't make any noise, it's interpreted that you feel alone in dealing with a problem in real life. That, or, you're trying to reach out for help but feel unheard. Yikes!

(Although I am getting ready to move by myself in a month and I am pretty daunted by it.)

Don't worry, two nights ago I had a dream that Colin and I formed a uke band entitled Les Enfants Terribles (the terrible children). A) I don't speak French. B) Why on earth would you name a uke band that?

natalie that is pretty daunting and scary... If I remember you aren't moving far, but still moving is very unsettling. My husband is in the navy and we have moved more than most. I hope this is all. I suppose as long as your lovely uke keeps singing for you, you will make it through.
Best of luck with your move, pizza and beer seems to go a long way with help moving.

My recurring dreams usually don't involve ukuleles. They do, however, involve 23-year-old twins in bikinis both carrying bottles of pinot grigio, a yak, a hot tub, a Tibetan monk, two ducks, several feel of rope, and a PC running MS DOS.

And sometimes a Macbook, but it never works.

Wonder what my dreams mean?

lol... If means that you need a long vacation in the tropics.

I've had dreams where I need to do something and can't. This morning, I dreamt that I couldn't find a shirt I needed to wear to an important event. A few days ago, I dreamed that I couldn't get to my apartment. My very unscientific approach to analyzing these dreams (I was a social psychology major in college) is that I think of them as generalized anxiety dreams that represent something else in my life I want to do but can't. I guess dreams about not being heard may be a little different, but if you think of dreams like that a little more broadly, then your dreams may be about ot being able to play your ukulele or sing. Just a thought.

Does the hot tub have a name?:biglaugh:

One of the most useful things someone ever said to me about interpreting dreams was "the symbols will have meanings particular to the person who's having the dream."

If I were working with you on your dreams (as I do for many of my clients/students/workshop attendees) I'd ask you, while you were in a state of complete relaxation/theta brainwave consciousness so your subconscious/intuition could come through:

What is the most useful interpretation of this dream right now for Natalie's personal growth and fulfillment?

The answers are always fascinating, and often not at all what the "logical" or "average daily waking consciousness" might assume.

Good luck on your move!

This thread is getting a little deep, so how about...

...you probably just need to change strings.

John

Lol please don't look into your dreams too hard. They really don't mean anything. They're just random thoughts manifested in a visual medium. Like Mike said, everyone has a similar dream that relates to them in which they are not able to fulfill something. I often have dreams of getting in a fist fight and being unable to hit with any force at all. Most dreams are negative, so it's best not to try and attempt to interpret them.

Top Bottom