PDA

View Full Version : what makes a pinapple a pinapple?????

eor
02-05-2011, 04:23 AM
I am planning a box uke (self built box), and as i read about related topics i watched videos of folk with pinapple ukes. they sounded good and folks liked them. in fact several folk in the forums say thier pinapples are on the top of the favorite uke list.

i couldnt help notice that a pinapple is closer to a box shape than a regular uke shape is.

from a luthiers perspective ( build tecniques, sound quality/volume ect) what makes a pinapple different, especially as it applies to a humble box uke first timer.

thx

Allen
02-05-2011, 10:19 AM
From a construction stand point, the pineapple is an easier shape to bend on a hot pipe than your more standard form. Bracing can be quite similar, and the rest of the process is the same. The shape is very easy to keep once the sides are glued to neck / or block and tail block. Whereas with the more conventional shape the waist will tend to want to straighten out thus needing some sort of mould / form to hold the shape whilst building.

There is more air volume in the box for the same depth of sides. I think that the concert scale length on the soprano pineapple box is a great combination that supports the greater air mass.

eor
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
From a construction stand point, the pineapple is an easier shape to .......The shape is very easy to keep once the sides are glued to neck / or block and tail block. Whereas with the more conventional shape the waist will tend to want to straighten out thus needing some sort of mould / form to hold the shape whilst building.

maybe a pinapple would be a good first regular uke build once i get this box uke figured out...

tx eor