Gotoh tuners on a KoAloha Concert

rsmith0399

Reaction score
I have a two year old KoAloha Concert. I would like to put Gotoh (UK12) machine tuners on it to make it easier to tune. I have purchased the tuners, but I am wondering if I should make the change to the KoAloha.

Would making this kind of change hurt the value of the ukulele?

Thanks!
Ron

I don't know about harming the value (we're not talking about a vintage instrument, after all). I suppose if they are properly installed then they might make the uke more attractive to someone who prefers geared tuners. For myself, I would be less inclined to buy it - far less inclined, actually.

John

Of course, it's your uke and you may do to it what you wish. And if you plan to keep it forever, value doesn't factor in. But if you are thinking of re-sell, I can only tell you that I would pass on an owner altered instrument. And I would also pass on geared tuners. But that's just my opinion.

You might consider asking the factory if they would make the alterations.

Of course, it's your uke and you may do to it what you wish. And if you plan to keep it forever, value doesn't factor in. But if you are thinking of re-sell, I can only tell you that I would pass on an owner altered instrument. And I would also pass on geared tuners. But that's just my opinion.

You might consider asking the factory if they would make the alterations.

I would have to agree with pdxuke.

I have a two year old KoAloha Concert. I would like to put Gotoh (UK12) machine tuners on it to make it easier to tune. I have purchased the tuners, but I am wondering if I should make the change to the KoAloha.

Just out of interest, how long have you had the KoAloha? If you have had it for two years and are now deciding to make the change, then I say go for it. It's your uke and if you prefer geared tuners then go for it.

If on the other hand you haven't owned the ukulele long (although you said it is two years old - so I guess that would meant you bought it second hand), then I would say try to live with the factory installed tuners. When I bought my KoAloha, it was the first time I had encountered friction tunners and it took a fair bit of getting used to. Now however I love them and would never buy another ukulele that doesn't have friction tuners installed.

It is after all your Uke as others have pointed out. What don't you like about the tuners that are on it? The tuners on mine work great and honestly it stays in tune very well.

I agree with lots of posters. It's your instrument, but give yourself some time to work with the friction tuners. They can be a bit tricky to work with since it's a 1:1 gear ratio, but it's mostly a matter of a bit of practice at the little pinch (as opposed to a twist) to get things where you want them. In a matter of a short amount of time, you may wonder what the fuss was all about.

just like strings, tuners are a matter of preference, if you like the uke and are planning on keeping it, go for it, just realize it will probably hurt the resale value, but maybe not.

To me, the KoAloha concerts are perfectly balanced with their friction tuners. After a short period of getting used to them, I now love them. I would not buy a KoAloha concert that had been changed to geared tuners. If my memory serves me correct, I believe that someone had one for sale on the Marketplace a while back with geared tuners that he had MGM change out for him.

I bought my KoAloha concert from Mike Atkins back in 2006, and Mike always replaced the KoAloha stock tuners with some nicer friction tuners. I've always been very happy with 'em.

However, those Gotoh planetary tuners are heavy. I guarantee the first thing that will happen is you'll notice how out of balance the instrument will be with those on. Playing it will feel awkward.

Installed GotohUK12s on my Kumalae Gold Award. Agonised over the decision for quite a while, but I wanted it to stay in tune and I wanted it to be as playable as my modern Ukuleles.

Hi not sure if this is a distraction on this post but i have a koaloha tenor with the stock tuners and i dont like the way my string winder hits a part of the crown when winding on the G and A strings. Anybody have this problem or is there another string winder that works better?

Hi not sure if this is a distraction on this post but i have a koaloha tenor with the stock tuners and i dont like the way my string winder hits a part of the crown when winding on the G and A strings. Anybody have this problem or is there another string winder that works better?
This question is worth posting separately.

I can't speak for everyone, and I certainly can't compare concerts across the entire time that KoAloha has been building them, but I disagree with Ukulele Jim. I have a KoAloha concert (mango) that is only a few years old that I purchased used. The previous owner replaced the frictions with Gotoh UPTs and I don't find the balance at all awkward.

Again, my hands are not your hands (nor Jim's hands for that matter) but it is one of my favorite instruments to play.

I can't speak for everyone, and I certainly can't compare concerts across the entire time that KoAloha has been building them, but I disagree with Ukulele Jim. I have a KoAloha concert (mango) that is only a few years old that I purchased used. The previous owner replaced the frictions with Gotoh UPTs and I don't find the balance at all awkward.

Again, my hands are not your hands (nor Jim's hands for that matter) but it is one of my favorite instruments to play.
UJ posted this 11 years ago. Maybe he has changed his mind since then. Looks like he was guessing based on numbers rather than experience.

I have a 2011 Ko'olau KC concert that came with gotoh friction tuners. I played it with the friction gotohs for 8 years or so. About 3 years ago I saw a set of gotoh planetary UPT's on eBay for a pretty good price and bought and installed them. No regrets totally worth it for me.

Attachments

• Resized_20220619_110501.jpeg
    Resized_20220619_110501.jpeg
    767.3 KB · Views: 5
Yes. Bart Simpson's ears get tweaked every time around with the winder on A and G strings.

I sent my Koaloha tenor back mostly because of poor intonation, but this design flaw (at least that's what I'd call it) was an issue too.

Jim

Yes. Bart Simpson's ears get tweaked every time around with the winder on A and G strings.

I sent my Koaloha tenor back mostly because of poor intonation, but this design flaw (at least that's what I'd call it) was an issue too.

Jim
All the more reason to put Gotoh UPTs on!
1. Won't hit the headstock since the buttons face backwards
2. Won't need a string winder since the Gotoh's are 4-to-1

:)

Top Bottom