PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Guitar Strings

rayan
12-01-2007, 09:47 AM
I personally don't use anything else but Elixir Lights. To me the sound that you get from them can't be beat. Too bad they are so expensive :(. What strings do you use? I know some musicians in Hawaii use GHS White Bronze Mediums.

Kateri
12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't think my guitar can handle those elixers. I like the feel and the sound of them but I woudln't wanna spend $15 just to have them break. I'm content using d'adarrio lights (however you spell that).

NukeDOC
12-02-2007, 07:08 PM
my steel string is a cheap ovation knockoff, so i use ghs 010 light electric strings. get em for $2 a pack over here. im kinda cheap. hehe. my classicals are still going strong on their original strings so i dont have much of an opinion on what strings to get for them when i need to change them out. but it seems that the d'addario line is pretty well accepted.

ive tried the elixir lights. theyre great strings. but i ended up throwing them away after two weeks and sticking to the ghs 010s. they were just too stiff. it hurt to play the guitar (go ahead and call me a panzy). do they make an extra extra light elixir set? one without a wound g string?

tori8984
12-07-2007, 02:53 PM
I have a washburn guitar and I am a beginner. Would you recomend that I change out the factory strings for a better set? Perhaps it does'nt matter at this stage of the game.:

Duke
12-09-2007, 10:18 AM
i have tryed dean markley stings.
well, i have "regular" 10 light on my western guitar now. like them.
i bought also some "blue steel"; a version from dean markley which are shock-frosted; i have'nt belived theyre better, but... wow. i have them now on my eguitar and they sound very brilliant on the high tones and also good on the lows and they're very handy for me.
and what can i say...normally some string took some weeks to get rosty, but this version... seems to take much more time to get "old". they still are new after a good time now. costs 6 euro here (should be about 8 dollar?)
definitely a tryout.

edit:
@tori: yes. a change of the strings of low budget guitars (and ukes) is a mustdo for me. take some good middlecost strings for a tryout. you will see...

titoboy5
12-11-2007, 12:16 PM
i use martins sp lights or folk but im trying out the eric clapton strings right now. 4 my classical i use salvarez red and blue depends which one i can find on dis rock

tori8984
12-22-2007, 03:37 AM
What do you do with your old strings? There is a guy who has started to collect and distribute old guitar strings to musicians all over the world who do not have access to, or money to buy new strings. Check out the Second Strings Project for more information. There may be other organizations that do similar work, so keep that in mind the next time you change strings.

davoomac
02-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I don't go through many sets of guitar strings, but I just got the Ernie Ball phosphor bronze 'slinky' strings. My sister used to play in bands and she told me that the ernie ball's are all she uses and that elixir strings were good but not for the price.

https://store.ernieball.com/img/product_images/574/979d85dd70afc1f5c60aaecaa59a4a03.jpg

The strings might be a little to noisy for my tastes though... Theres alot of string 'talk' when you move up and down the frets. I might just be weak, but my fingers hurt if I play too long on them. My fingers might just be spoiled by playin the ukulele strings. The earnie balls do sound great though!

Misguided Musician
02-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Ernie Ball strings are pretty good. I think D'addario phosphour bronze is pretty good also. Elixir's are really good because of the how long they last,the feel of the string, and because there's no "talk", but yeah the price is way too high for my taste. I haven't really tried Ernie Balls but if they're hurting your fingers I suggest D'addario or Dean Markley. Those are about the only strings I've tried out.

<'Tony'>
02-18-2008, 12:30 PM
rotosounds all the way any size of string they make is a good string

davoomac
02-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Has anyone tried the Finger-ease guitar string lube? If so, does it help?

Keonikapila
02-19-2008, 04:01 PM

I've been using Finger-Ease for close to 3 years and I love the stuff.

The thing I like the most about it is that it conditions your callouses. Before I started using it, my callouses used to get pretty rough and flaky...to the point that they actually started shaving my strings when I played. Now days, my callouses are smooth and even.

It also does a pretty good job at lubricating the strings...which might take a little getting used to, they get pretty slick.

YMMV, but I've been using this on all my ukes and my guitar and I've never had a problem...but there could be some concern about the spray affecting the finish, so you may want to test it on an inconspicuous place before going crazy with it...but again, I've never had a problem.

UkuCouS
03-06-2008, 01:45 AM
I like Savarez and the D'addario EXP44

AdamTheHobo
03-07-2008, 03:04 PM
well i have to change the strings on my guitar cuse they are just cheap crap ones but i absolutly love Elixir strings mostly light or mediam

russ_buss
03-20-2008, 09:16 AM
i get mine from webstrings.com because i'm cheap. at about $3.50 per set, they sound fine to me. been buying from them for years for both acoustic and electric. haven't had any problems yet.

they used to have free shipping on all orders. now you have to order $50 worth of stuff to get free shipping. that sucks but oh well, still worth it.

E-Lo Roberts
03-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Davo, yeah, I've been using it for many, many years. Get mine from www.musiciansfriend.com (http://www.musiciansfriend.com) For acoustic guitar playing there is nothing better. I don't really use it on my uke playing though. Fingerease is very cool. It lubes up your fingers and strings without that sticky, greasey feeling you get after eating a bucket of KFC then start playing your guitar. hahaha.. It's feels very slick, won't stick, and is not greasey. Perfect for guitar playing. It also makes your strings last longer and as Keno said, it will smooth out your callouses. I also, have never had a problem with it discoloring the finish on the guitar.

Favorite acoustic string: C.F. Martin Acoustic Martin 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Wound Custom Light, .11 - .52, M-535

Favorite electric string: Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Electric Guitar Strings (10-46)

studentaccount1
03-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Electric: D'addarrio 10's (EB Slinky's ae ok too)
Acoustic: D'addario Lights (or Martin Lights)
Jazz: Thomastik Infield Semi-flatwound
Classical: D'Addario Pro Arté Normal Tension (same as my ukulele)

seth
03-23-2008, 01:52 PM
D'addario for me. Savarez too actually.

brokenwing
04-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Curt Mangan phosphor bronze on ebay. A great set of un-coateds for a reasonable price.

UkeyBuntu
07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
on my classical ive had the same stocked strings thats been there for 7 years now and have been wonderful to me hah

on my acoustic i use dean markley strings. and on my electric i use ernies.

Pippin
07-25-2009, 12:24 AM
I have a Martin guitar with Martin Marquis (.010) on it. I have an Ibanez PF with Martin Marquis on it, too. I have a Washburn Rover with D'Addario phospher-bronze (.010) on it.

I have always used Martin Marquis and D'Addario oval-wound strings or PB when I could get them. I have owned lots of acoustic and electric guitars over the years and I have always played "tens" on the acoustics and "nines" on the electrics.

Playing heavier strings on an acoustic guitar over time eventually makes it much more likely that you will need a neck reset at some point. By playing "tens" (.010 on the top "E" string), the stress on your guitar's neck is much lower and you are much less likely to need a reset at some point. I have NEVER needed a neck reset on any guitar I have owned.

ukerazy
07-25-2009, 02:16 AM
I too only use Elixir Lights, I don't mind too much paying out for quality strings. Although since i started playing the Uke my guitar has become quite lonely lol.

smithpaul60
07-25-2009, 04:05 AM
I have tried just about every major type of string on my guitars

on my electrics I like Elxir and depending on how I feel either medium or lights. Right now i have one with meds and one with lights. Sometime i just feel in a "heavier" mood.

On my acoustics.... The one I play all the time I have martin Claptons. The ones i don't play as often I put on elxir light acoustics because they have the nanoweb coat and the strings last longer.

Uncle-Taco
07-25-2009, 05:47 AM
Medium gauge D'addario phosphor bronze, usually. I hate Elixirs.

DeG
07-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Elixir is all I use on my guitars... Love 'em !

Bratset
07-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I have a Washburn Rover with D'Addario phospher-bronze (.010) on it.

Same as I use! love them

AnnaUK
07-26-2009, 02:37 AM
I used Rotosound 9s and 10s on my electrics.

I'm currently on Martin Bronze 12s for my acoustics. They sound pretty great.

(I like them so much I decided to try Martins on my Flea, even though they seem to get a slating, but I like the sound, so I've kept them on.)

Crawfish
07-27-2009, 05:03 AM
For acoustic, I prefer medium gauge (.013) strings. For years and years I used Martin bronze - either the regular or Marquis versions. But this year I switched over to DR Rares. They are a bit lower tension, but mainly the tone is a touch warmer and they're louder.

For electric, I used to use GHS Boomers (.010) but now I've switched to DR All Blues which I really like. They seem to last longer and not corrode so much as the Boomers, and they are easier to bend. I'm going to move up to .011s on one of my electrics soon just to try them out.

On acoustic 12, I use .010s tuned down a half-step.

On my little Alvarez acoustic 3/4 scale, I use .012s but I may move up to .013s. It came strung with Elixir .010s and they were dreadful. I hate coated strings!

On bass (which I play infrequently) I have .045-.105 Boomers.

Re using .010s on acoustic: they sound way too light and tinny for my taste. If the concern is an eventual neck reset, it may happen even with using .010s. It's almost a fact of life with an older acoustic guitar. I'd personally get better volume and tone here and now than worry about long-term issues. I've owned more acoustics than I can remember and only one needs a reset - and that one needed it when I got it.

Just my .02.

-Kevin

RevWill
07-27-2009, 05:32 AM
On my Taylor dreadnought I really love Elixir Nanoweb mediums. They last forever and the heavier medium gauge really helps the strings to drive that big top.

ed531
07-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I use Cleartone all the way, I use them on all my acoustic guitars. Assuming you're talking about acoustic guitar strings.

experimentjon
08-08-2009, 12:40 PM
If Elixirs were cheaper, I'd use them on everything, but they aren't, and whenever I use them, I'm constantly afraid that they'll break and I'll have to spend like $4-5 plus a trip to the guitar store to buy a single (and will probably end up coming home with a few other toys too...which is why I like to avoid trips.) But anyway, here's what I use:

Acoustic: Elixir Lights, polyweb, nanoweb, I don't really care, but I think the nanowebs look cooler. Nothing over 53-12 though, so all light strings, b/c I have wimpy fingers. When the guitar isn't expensive enough to warrant Elixirs, I go with D'addario phosphor bronze.

Classical: D'Addarios regular tension. No idea what the exact name of the strings are, but they're pretty decent.

Electric: Ernie Ball Slinkys all the way. Either the yellow pack (10s) or the blue pack (9s). I love those strings. Relatively inexpensive, and they sound good.

LindsayOfSaturn
08-09-2009, 10:14 AM
I like the D'addario EJ Light Phosphor Bronze for my acoustic, nice, simple, clean sound for a good price. I bought some ernie ball blues acoustic strings, anxious to try those out.

telebob
08-11-2009, 03:11 PM
I like to use GHS Tremelo Boomers (9.5's) on my electric guitars. Tremelo, because they're made to stretch for twang bars, but I just do lots of fingerbends as I play Tele. The 9.5's are sweet because they're not as slinky as 9's and not as thick as 10's. Just the right amount of string width for bending and they stay in tune really good. I will sometimes uses Elixir PolyWeb Lights (10's) on my electric guitars. Previously, I used SIT (Stay In Tune) 9.5's.

For acoustic guitar strings, I swear by Elixir Extra Lights (10's) and nothing else.

krabbers
08-17-2009, 05:35 AM
i use ernie ball earthwood 12's, i can realy hit em hard , the only trouble with getting used to heavy strings is that when i try and play an electric with say 9's i bend all my chords out of tune due to the pressure i am used to putting on the fretboard

GrumpyCoyote
08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Acoustic Steel:
Martin Marquis

Nylon:
Aquilla

Electric:
Never found a good electric string, I hate them all. So I make do with whatever. They all suck about the same.

FrankBungle
09-07-2009, 09:36 PM
dean markley blue steel 0.10/0.46 on electric, elixir 0.12 on acoustic.

mrplatypus70
09-08-2009, 06:43 AM
For steel string acoustics I use Martin Marquis phosphor bronze, I like the way the Elixar acoustic stings last so long but when compared to the martins they just don't have the tone. For my classical guitar I use the D'Addario Pro-Art (they make a set for ukulele that is very nice too; it is just two E strings one B and one G). For electric guitar I never saw a big difference in sound from one string to the next, so I ended up going back to Ernie Ball slinkies, 10's only 9's are just too squishy, if you bend a string you need to have something to push against and you get way better tone and sustain if you have the action a little higher and use heavier strings.:music:

etkre
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Acoustic: Elixir mediums

Electric: D'addario Jazz Light Gauge

Electric bass: D'addario XL Soft Gauge Long Scale

And if you think Elixir acoustic strings are expensive, try stringing elixirs on a bass ($40 a set) only to have them break within a week, and I never break strings!

An awesome money saving tip: Boil your old bass strings for a couple minutes and they'll come out sounding (almost) new again. A savings of $20.

kluson
11-22-2009, 04:26 AM
I like to use either Snake Oil 10-46 on the Les Pauls or sometimes Pyramid ( The Pyramids must be the green packaged ones from the American distributor, round cores like Snake oil, both pure nickel wound on a round core.
Same for Strats and Teles

Acoustics get Martin Phosphor Bronze 12 - 52 the resonator get's John Pearse
13-56.
Classical uses Ramirez - hard

cheers
Dave

grammy
11-22-2009, 11:13 AM
on a classical i use d'addario pro arte, normal gage but i also sometimes switch to black diamond folk nylon

UkeNukem
11-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I've used finger Ease for like 30 years and found it did help the longevity but mainly THE SQUEAKING (shudder). I've used many types of strings but now I use the Elixir Nanowebs on everything. The coatin minimizes squeaking and they last. I don't play each guitar that often so I get a long time between changes. That brings the price down to normal string prices. Also, it saves me allot of time!

Raygf
11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
D'Addario Pro Arte EJ46C Hard Tension on my Nylon
Elixir light gauge on my steel strings (Price is worth it to me)
Elixir light gauge on my solid body electrics
Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing JS 111 on my archtops

Regards,
Ray

nohandles
11-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Depending on the guitar- I only play acoustics, I like DR medium/heavies and Martin SP's The DR's have a real nice tone and are bright and lively. The SP's sound similar and are good when you're out in the weather hot,cold and damp.

UkuZombie
11-23-2009, 07:41 PM
i use gibson brite wire guage 8 strings on my fender yjm strato

ReavesR
11-29-2009, 04:00 PM
On my acoustic I've grown quite fond of the Martin Silk and Steel strings. I'm giving these martins a few weeks before I buy/try some Elixirs. Before this I had some D'addario Phosphor Bronze and they were alright. Right now the silk and steel are nice, easy on the fingers, easy to play, and sound warm.

On my electric I had Super Slinky's and I don't know if it was just that I was using 10s or what, but when I switched to D'Addario 11s I thought they sounded much better, seemed to be a crisp/clean sound.

Link
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Phosphor Bronze D'Addario ftw! Good combo of quality and value. Light gauge.

MartinLil
12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
The only strings good enough for my Martin D-16GT are Martin MSP 4200 Phosphor Bronze Mediums. These are by far the greatest strings, and I've tried all the top brands and more. I favor Martin nylon strings for my flamenco, as well.

haole
12-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I hate changing strings so I just splurge on Elixirs for my acoustics and leave them on there for months and months. $15 a set seems expensive, but I really do get at least three times the life out of the Elixirs as I do with the usual strings.

Not as picky about strings for my electrics. I have a friend at D'Aquisto so I can get their stainless strings really cheap. Hoping to track down some Elixirs for my Rickenbacker 12-string, though, because changing strings on it is an absolute nightmare and I'd like to do it as infrequently as possible. :wallbash:

Sic_Rob
01-14-2010, 04:17 AM
I personally don't use anything else but Elixir Lights. To me the sound that you get from them can't be beat. Too bad they are so expensive :(. What strings do you use? I know some musicians in Hawaii use GHS White Bronze Mediums.

Can you please recomend a place to buy these for my Uku on line? I can not find them except for Guitar.

bazmaz
01-14-2010, 06:12 AM
without ANY shadow of a doubt - you should all try Thomastik Infeld strings - pricey but completely changed my guitar - they are great great quality and just sing. Seriously superb.

See http://www.stringmail.co.uk/thomastik.htm

Ukeffect
01-14-2010, 06:38 AM
You know its been about 20 years since I touched a guitar, but I used to use Martin Silk'n'Silvers...I don't know if they even make them anymore, but I loved them on my Gibson, now on my girlfriends Alvarez I put on D'addarios...went wtih the nylons because the steel ones tore up her dainty fingers!! ;)

paraclete
01-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Can you please recomend a place to buy these for my Uku on line? I can not find them except for Guitar.

Uh, I think those are guitar strings he's talking about. You wouldn't want to put steel acoustics on your uke.

Sic_Rob
01-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Uh, I think those are guitar strings he's talking about. You wouldn't want to put steel acoustics on your uke.

Thanks. I had a feelin i was trying to put a square peg in a round whole.

Amnicon
01-28-2010, 12:28 PM
After a new all solid mahogany acoustic last year, I experimented with lots of strings, and fell in love with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze. I found they had the brightness of the Martin strings, but still brought out the fullness of the whole range. They sound a bit like D'Addario EXP's but more rich, and about 1/3 the price. These were some of the cheapest strings I tried, but certainly the right ones for my guitar.

paraclete
02-11-2010, 07:11 AM
finally have a sound recording up on Youtube (no live vid, though... just a slide show) for anyone interested in hearing what Thomastik rope core classical strings sound like. I start out on classical.... I'm playing the chords.... Jimi's playing lead at the beginning on uke... it's also a good chance to compare a tenor uke with Aquila strings to a Ramirez classical with ropecores.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3oZ4POr7Y

heymelbs
02-13-2010, 03:39 PM
I like these. (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Elixir-Nanoweb-Phosphor-Bronze-Acoustic-Light-Medium-Strings?sku=101572)

psesinkclee
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm a fan of Cleartones for acoustics :)

paraclete
03-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Just switched out the strings on my classical... I was playing Thomastik ropecores, which I really like. They aren't such great strings for strictly classical playing, however. I put Savarez redcards... plastic wound G and B.

So far, I really like these strings.... the G is a lot brighter than a plain nylon string tends to be. They honestly sound like a subdued version of ropecores... clear and well-balanced. Of course, it depends on what guitar you use too.... I'm playing a Ramirez 4E, and it seems to do well, from what I've read, with higher tension strings. Not all classicals do well with high tension...

paraclete
03-16-2010, 09:15 AM
So i just bought my first guitar. it is a classical, which i know...difference between my classical and a typical steel string accoustic the strings?
Would anyone help regarding this :

First off, a classical and acoustic steel string are standardly tuned the same... from lowest string to highest (tonewise) EADGBE.

However, a classical guitar uses nylon strings, which are much lower tension than steel. You should never put steel strings on a classical because it will damage the tuner barrels and/or bridge, buckle the face, etc. The lower three strings are usually silver or nickel wound over nylon. The higher three are usually plain nylon, although there are wound variations that you can get. Generally, you don't use a pick for classical guitar either.

Skitzic
03-17-2010, 04:47 AM
I use D'addario on all of my acoustic. It's been so long since I changed the electric I couldn't even tell you...probably D'addario though. Elixer strings are way too expensive for me.

cornfedgroove
03-17-2010, 07:44 AM
elixir light or medium
i also like the d'addario exp

martin strings are the worst...they last about 2 weeks.

allardv
04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
My experience with the EXP's is that they sound old already when they're brand new. The Elixirs are way too expensive here in Holland, I would have to pay around 20-25 euro's for a set and I get sick of the sound after a couple of weeks (normally I would change the strings but at €25 a set..) The Martin Clapton's Choice .12's are really good strings in my opinion, they sound very bright.. The bad is they don't last that long. I usually use those Martins and d'Addario's PB .12, sometimes I will order some other sets but those are the two brands I always return to.
On my electric are the d'Addario EXL110 I think, just the .12's. I should be playing it more often because I have some Ernie Balls laying in a drawer I still have to test.

harpdog
04-30-2010, 04:40 AM
Steel string : D'Addario EJ16 Phosphor/Bronze Light
Nylon string: D'Addario EJ46 Pro-Arte Hard Tension
Electric : D'Addario EXL110 Regular Light 10-46

Sheesh I didn't realize I was a brand slut.

jordan bello
05-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Acoustic Steel String: D'Addario EJ16

Pippin
05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
I used to use D'Addario oval-wound phospher-bronze strings a long time ago. I loved them. Since they seemed to vanish, I have stuck with Martin Marquis.

Dane
05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I like elixer nanoweb on my acoustic, going to replace my electrics soon, not sure what I will use.,

luvdat
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Martins, Studios or Marquis. Elixirs? The regulars are really coated...no thanks. So good they came up with a less coated version, LOL. D'Addarios...a bit rattley...intially sounding crisp.

johnc240
05-18-2010, 03:52 PM
DR's! Have used them for years on electrics. Now I use them on my Martin. Long lasting!

GVlog
05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Elixir polys are my first choice for acoustic steel-string guitars. Second choice are the nanos. The coating let me make slides with almost no string squeak.

I'll use Martin strings if Elixirs aren't available.

Was dissatisfied withe GHS's Laurence Juber Signature strings. Those are some of the squeakiest strings I've used.

alexrock23
06-14-2010, 01:05 AM
r slinky 0.10 - I used to use D'adario but had bad experience with them and changed. The cause of this was D'adario bought steel from another manufacture and that changed the quality of the strings i used to use at the time forever.

miles.milburn
06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
I play a different style but i really like the d'addario stings fro acoustic. I also use ernie ball but i use the Power Slinky strings.

wolf69
12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
For me:
Thomastic Infield
John Pierce

I like the wood sound of mi acoustic guitar, Elixir is kind of metalic sound, but that's me

Papi
12-25-2010, 06:48 AM
John Pearse - Phosphor Bronze & Silk wound are a bit more mellow and easier on the neck tension and fingers !

luvdat
01-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Moved from D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Lights to D'Addario 80/20 Bronze Lights to D'Addario XL Nickle Wounds.

I use EJ22 jazz medium gauge on my acoustics now and here I'll stay.

PedalFreak
01-26-2011, 10:07 AM
D'Addario on my Acoustic Guitars

Gibson Vintage Reissue, GHS Nickel Rockers or Burnished Steel & D'Addario Strings just depending on which guitar it is.

D'Addario on my Mandolin, and I'm still experimenting with my Ukes :D

baronfisher
03-16-2011, 04:17 AM
Play a different style, but I like a lot of D'Addario bites for acoustics. I also use Ernie ball but using power Slinky strings.

zipykido
03-16-2011, 05:30 PM
I like elixirs for their durability but I'll throw d'addarios on them if I don't feel like springing for set of elixirs.

marckobrown
03-22-2011, 05:08 AM
These chains are horrible. The best of them was the Tin package. They made my guitar acoustics have bad string buzz. I'm going to give this a pass.I like it.

AetherBlue
03-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Martin SP lights or D'addario's. I don't like the brightness of Elixirs. But I guess the woods of the guitar might also be a factor.

LoMa
03-25-2011, 10:51 AM
By far, my favorite strings are Martin SP phospher bronze lights and mediums.
I like them new, I like them broken in, I like them slightly decaying too...
Even the unwound trebles have flashing on them which affects the tone in a good way for me.
They also last a long time for me, but I don;t; seem to have corrosive hands.

Unforunately I beleive they are being discontinued I believe. I think Martin is replacing with their Lifespan strings with the Cleartone coating. I don;t like them much.

For a coated string, I prefer Cleartones. They seem to provide more bottom than other coated strings.

slimt
04-05-2011, 05:22 AM
I use D'addario lights on 14 frets neck Acoustics .. and Elixers on 12 fret necks.. Both are Nice Strings to use..

Pippin
04-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I just picked up D'Addario Phospher-Bronze today and put them on the Martin D-15 after I adjusted the neck relief angle and the saddle. Now the git is low and fast and the new strings sound wonderful. Might just be a new favorite in place of the Martin Marquis. I have used the Martins for twenty-five years. No, I don't change much. :)

luvdat
04-07-2011, 12:35 AM
I just picked up D'Addario Phospher-Bronze today and put them on the Martin D-15 after I adjusted the neck relief angle and the saddle. Now the git is low and fast and the new strings sound wonderful. Might just be a new favorite in place of the Martin Marquis. I have used the Martins for twenty-five years. No, I don't change much. :)

Pippin, I switched out of Martin Strings just recently and was a die hard 80/20 SP user. No more. Can't comment on the Marquis's, but frankly the SP's were just "stiffer" and less musical for me I realized and with the D'Addario PB Lights I could simply get more variety within a warm yet certainly articulate enough context. What doesn't get stated enough IMO about the SP's is that the treble strings have been "improved" but suddenly it was like they just sounded wrong to me. The other thing about the SP's: Martin themselves list the PB SP's as "brighter" than the 80/20's. Makes any sense? No. In short, I'm out of there like over night. I do think the D'Addario PB Lights are a classic themselves for a reason and least in my own case consider my SP usage kind of unexamined.

With that said, will also give D'Addario 80/20's Lights a try.

luvdat
04-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Put on the D'Addario 80/20's Lights on a dread and like them even more than the PB Lights.

wolf69
04-09-2011, 12:44 PM
You should trie the Thomastik Infield, particulary the AC111, they are hand made in Viena, very nice strings

luvdat
04-21-2011, 12:05 AM
For nylon, I really love LaBella 2001 Series Classical Light Tensions.

Crooneyae
06-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Yes GHS .I do prefer to use this string .It is easy to play for me and i love to play this.

cyrilruiz
06-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Music plays vital role for get relax and refresh. My favourite guitar strings are:

1) Ernie Ball.
2) Danelectro.
3) Gibson P90.
4) Seymour Duncan.
5) Dean Markley.

Piikea
06-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I used to exclusively use GHS boomers on all my guitars when I lived in Texas, but living in Hawaii it's almost impossible to get traditionally packaged strings that aren't tarnished from the store. Now that cryo packaging is pretty well done by all of the makers, I still stick with D'Addario which was the only sealed strings at the time. To me they just last longer, are perfect right out of the package and even in Hawaii are consistently and competitively priced.