Favorite Guitar Strings

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
I personally don't use anything else but Elixir Lights. To me the sound that you get from them can't be beat. Too bad they are so expensive :(. What strings do you use? I know some musicians in Hawaii use GHS White Bronze Mediums.

I don't think my guitar can handle those elixers. I like the feel and the sound of them but I woudln't wanna spend $15 just to have them break. I'm content using d'adarrio lights (however you spell that).

my steel string is a cheap ovation knockoff, so i use ghs 010 light electric strings. get em for $2 a pack over here. im kinda cheap. hehe. my classicals are still going strong on their original strings so i dont have much of an opinion on what strings to get for them when i need to change them out. but it seems that the d'addario line is pretty well accepted.

ive tried the elixir lights. theyre great strings. but i ended up throwing them away after two weeks and sticking to the ghs 010s. they were just too stiff. it hurt to play the guitar (go ahead and call me a panzy). do they make an extra extra light elixir set? one without a wound g string?

Attachments

• DSGpickguard.jpg
    DSGpickguard.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
I'm a novice

I have a washburn guitar and I am a beginner. Would you recomend that I change out the factory strings for a better set? Perhaps it does'nt matter at this stage of the game.:

i have tryed dean markley stings.
well, i have "regular" 10 light on my western guitar now. like them.
i bought also some "blue steel"; a version from dean markley which are shock-frosted; i have'nt belived theyre better, but... wow. i have them now on my eguitar and they sound very brilliant on the high tones and also good on the lows and they're very handy for me.
and what can i say...normally some string took some weeks to get rosty, but this version... seems to take much more time to get "old". they still are new after a good time now. costs 6 euro here (should be about 8 dollar?)
definitely a tryout.

edit:
@tori: yes. a change of the strings of low budget guitars (and ukes) is a mustdo for me. take some good middlecost strings for a tryout. you will see...

Last edited:
i use martins sp lights or folk but im trying out the eric clapton strings right now. 4 my classical i use salvarez red and blue depends which one i can find on dis rock

Last edited:
Old strings

What do you do with your old strings? There is a guy who has started to collect and distribute old guitar strings to musicians all over the world who do not have access to, or money to buy new strings. Check out the Second Strings Project for more information. There may be other organizations that do similar work, so keep that in mind the next time you change strings.

I don't go through many sets of guitar strings, but I just got the Ernie Ball phosphor bronze 'slinky' strings. My sister used to play in bands and she told me that the ernie ball's are all she uses and that elixir strings were good but not for the price.

979d85dd70afc1f5c60aaecaa59a4a03.jpg

The strings might be a little to noisy for my tastes though... Theres alot of string 'talk' when you move up and down the frets. I might just be weak, but my fingers hurt if I play too long on them. My fingers might just be spoiled by playin the ukulele strings. The earnie balls do sound great though!

Last edited:
Ernie Ball strings are pretty good. I think D'addario phosphour bronze is pretty good also. Elixir's are really good because of the how long they last,the feel of the string, and because there's no "talk", but yeah the price is way too high for my taste. I haven't really tried Ernie Balls but if they're hurting your fingers I suggest D'addario or Dean Markley. Those are about the only strings I've tried out.

rotosounds all the way any size of string they make is a good string

Has anyone tried the Finger-ease guitar string lube? If so, does it help?

I've been using Finger-Ease for close to 3 years and I love the stuff.

The thing I like the most about it is that it conditions your callouses. Before I started using it, my callouses used to get pretty rough and flaky...to the point that they actually started shaving my strings when I played. Now days, my callouses are smooth and even.

It also does a pretty good job at lubricating the strings...which might take a little getting used to, they get pretty slick.

YMMV, but I've been using this on all my ukes and my guitar and I've never had a problem...but there could be some concern about the spray affecting the finish, so you may want to test it on an inconspicuous place before going crazy with it...but again, I've never had a problem.

well i have to change the strings on my guitar cuse they are just cheap crap ones but i absolutly love Elixir strings mostly light or mediam

i get mine from webstrings.com because i'm cheap. at about $3.50 per set, they sound fine to me. been buying from them for years for both acoustic and electric. haven't had any problems yet.

they used to have free shipping on all orders. now you have to order $50 worth of stuff to get free shipping. that sucks but oh well, still worth it.

Has anyone tried the Finger-ease guitar string lube? If so, does it help?
Davo, yeah, I've been using it for many, many years. Get mine from www.musiciansfriend.com For acoustic guitar playing there is nothing better. I don't really use it on my uke playing though. Fingerease is very cool. It lubes up your fingers and strings without that sticky, greasey feeling you get after eating a bucket of KFC then start playing your guitar. hahaha.. It's feels very slick, won't stick, and is not greasey. Perfect for guitar playing. It also makes your strings last longer and as Keno said, it will smooth out your callouses. I also, have never had a problem with it discoloring the finish on the guitar.

Favorite acoustic string: C.F. Martin Acoustic Martin 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Wound Custom Light, .11 - .52, M-535

Favorite electric string: Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky Electric Guitar Strings (10-46)

Last edited:
Electric: D'addarrio 10's (EB Slinky's ae ok too)
Acoustic: D'addario Lights (or Martin Lights)
Jazz: Thomastik Infield Semi-flatwound
Classical: D'Addario Pro Arté Normal Tension (same as my ukulele)

D'addario for me. Savarez too actually.

Curt Mangan phosphor bronze on ebay. A great set of un-coateds for a reasonable price.

on my classical ive had the same stocked strings thats been there for 7 years now and have been wonderful to me hah

on my acoustic i use dean markley strings. and on my electric i use ernies.

Top Bottom