MiSi ribbon advice: Can I cut it shorter?

UncleElvis

Reaction score
Ok, so I purchased a MiSi Trio pickup from Mainland with the intent of possibly putting it into my Kamaka.

Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and didn't look at the saddle on my Kamaka. If I had, I would have seen that it's REALLY really thin.

So, because I had threatened Mim and Sally and the rest that I would do it, I decided to put it into my Ohana Sopranino... oh, and to string it Low G.

No, I'm not right in the head. *grin*

ANNNYWAY...

It seems to work REALLY well and, while it was a bit of a pain in the ass to install, it wasn't difficult.

The ONLY problem I have with it is that the transducer wire (the woven bit) is REALLY long, in relation to the instrument and rattles against the side.

I was wondering whether pulling it through a little more and cutting it would be a solution and what, if any, the repercussions of this would be.

Do I have to solder the end?

Any thoughts or solutions?

Don't cut it!!! You have to wrap up the extra & coil it out of the way. One question, did you drill holes in both ends of your bridge & thread a bit of the end back into that second hole? That's something that Chuck of Moore Bettah recently mentioned.

+1 on the do not cut it! Chuck did post some great pics recently of exactly how it should look during installation.

You really need to wind the excess wire into 4 or 5 one inch coils and secure the coils with four small zip ties. Before tightening the jack nut, look through the soundhole and rotate the pickup to make sure the wire isn't touching the body anywhere, especially the sound board.

Attachments

• misi4.jpg
    misi4.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
  • misi 2.jpg
    misi 2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 23
  • misi3.JPG
    misi3.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Top Bottom