Just for Fun: Swingin' Jazz Ukulele? (looking for books)

Lola

Reaction score
I found a $25 Borders gift card while cleaning out an old drawer. It's still got the full value on it but it seems Borders isn't doing so hot financially, so I decided I'd better spend it. And why not on uke books? :eek:

Among the books that caught my eye is Just For Fun: Swingin' Jazz Ukulele. Has anybody had any experience with it or other books in the series? There aren't any reviews on Amazon.

I'm also looking at Jim Beloff's Fretboard Roadmaps, which seems to be a popular recommendation, but that's one I'm certain I can get at the tiny independent music store in my uncle's small town & I like to give them my business when I can.

I have the Swingin Jazz Ukulele book. My only gripe with it is that it doesn't come with a CD but I was able to find all the songs on Rhapsody and put together my own CD. If you really like this kind of jazz then it's a great book, but if you don't yet have The Daily Ukulele book - get that one first. It includes some of the same songs and is far more versatile.

I've been doing a bit of jamming at a local jazz workshop and I might suggest looking at any of the "Real Book" series if you want to play Jazz stuff. They're what everybody plays out of. Kind of a mixed bag of stuff (standards to Weather Report) with just chords and melody lines and you'll need to keep a good chord book handy for lots of things (though certain daunting looking chords tend to get used a lot and you can pick up on those pretty quick), but it's been a great workout for me to pick up chords and figure out how to fit into an ensemble with horns.
I mean, it may be a bit more advanced maybe than you're looking at, but I offer it anyway. It's certainly helped me advance as a player and opened a ton of chord options for me that I wouldn't have come across in most of the beginner/intermediate uke book options.

Thanks both for your input. I think I'm going to get Swingin' Jazz Ukulele anyway, since I haven't found a better option for my gift card. I do have a specific interest in early to mid-century jazz-style pop (as opposed to true improvisational jazz, if that makes any sense) and I'm familiar with all the songs listed, so it sounds like a good fit for me right now. I'll definitely be inquiring about Daily Ukulele and the Real Books the next time I'm up at the store, though.

Top Bottom