PDA

View Full Version : Is this a bad idea? Any thoughts, warnings, or recommendations?

Total Ukphoria
02-05-2011, 03:23 PM
I am thinking about putting high tension strings on my Ohana Sopranino. My line of thought was that since it's tuned up to D instead of the normal C tuning (as recommended by Ohana) then it should be able to handle the extra tension. I'm looking at Hilo standard strings- high tension. I want to do this because it really barks in the C tuning- but just needs more tension.

Any thoughts, warnings, or recommendations?

OldePhart
02-05-2011, 05:54 PM
The basic rule is that whatever tuning and string set you use, you want to shoot for approximately the same tension on the strings - it's primarily string tension that controls intonation up the fretboard to the 12th and beyond - if you radically change the tension from what the uke was designed for your intonation will suffer up there.

John

Lanark
02-06-2011, 02:49 AM
The higher tension strings should fall within the range of what the sopranino can handle. It's been a while since I changed mine but I'm pretty sure I used the second half of a set of Worth's to good effect. (though it may have been some Fremonts...) I prefer a tighter string for how I play too. I wouldn't sweat it.