Is this a bad idea? Any thoughts, warnings, or recommendations?

Total Ukphoria

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting high tension strings on my Ohana Sopranino. My line of thought was that since it's tuned up to D instead of the normal C tuning (as recommended by Ohana) then it should be able to handle the extra tension. I'm looking at Hilo standard strings- high tension. I want to do this because it really barks in the C tuning- but just needs more tension.

Any thoughts, warnings, or recommendations?

The basic rule is that whatever tuning and string set you use, you want to shoot for approximately the same tension on the strings - it's primarily string tension that controls intonation up the fretboard to the 12th and beyond - if you radically change the tension from what the uke was designed for your intonation will suffer up there.

John

The higher tension strings should fall within the range of what the sopranino can handle. It's been a while since I changed mine but I'm pretty sure I used the second half of a set of Worth's to good effect. (though it may have been some Fremonts...) I prefer a tighter string for how I play too. I wouldn't sweat it.

Top Bottom