Help selecting the right Uke

predinchuk

Reaction score
I currently have a super concert and it sounds great.
My wife is learning to play and we want to play together.
We both enjoy the super concert size and feel. Should I get another size so it sounds better or will two super concerts be fine.

I was thinking to giver her mine and get myself a 6 string super concert.

Any thoughts would be great.

You can mix any sizes - there are no rules. in fact, mixing ukes with differing voices will in my view give a nice effect.

That said, if you are both happy with a super concert - why rock the boat?

Or a regular concert for the wife. If I am not mistaken, the super concert is tenor scale. A concert scale uke might be good for your wife is she has smaller hands than you.

If you both like the Super Concert size, but want a little more variety, you could tune one to low G, or you could try a different tone wood. There is also the Ohana tenor neck soprano, which would give that same fretboard scale, but a smaller soundbox.
On the 6 string idea, it depends on your playing style. Adding the extra strings really adds to the fullness of the sound. It is especially good for strumming, but gets more complicated if you are playing melody lines (since the double course strings are separated by single strings). You might look at the new Ohana 5 string tenor, which doubles the g string in a high/ low combination.

It is great that you guys like playing together!
–Lori

Top Bottom