Chord theory?

takesuoutswitch

Reaction score
The I ii iii IV V vi and vii chords... Which one sound good as maj7 dom7 maj9th etc... I know they all have like five different ways they can sound good. What are they? Thanks!

I diatonic harmony (i.e. no accidentals) the I and IV chord would be major sevenths, the V chord would be a dominant seventh, the ii, iii and vi chords would be minor sevenths and the vii chord would be a minor seventh flat 5 (a.k.a half diminished). This is what you would obtain by building seventh chords on each degree of a major scale. Any other chords would have be created by adding notes outside of the key signature. In the key of C this would be Cmaj7, Dmin7, Emin7, Fmaj7, G7, Amin7 and Bmin7b5. I hope this answers your question.

- Steve

Wow, that is like the best theory answer I've read on the internets. It's like you actually remember this stuff! I just had theory 101 flashbacks! It wasn't pretty! And now I understand why the OP made the second thread. I couldn't remember this stuff at all, and yet I know it is right because I can hear my favorite theory professor saying it. I'm now more certain than ever that the OP has come a long way in learning lots of stuff, but there's no substitute for a good theory teacher. When I was in high school we didn't have theory taught at all, which was frustrating, but in college I had the world's best theory professor. And it's difficult to lead us from the vocal department into the world of theory. We go kicking and screaming.

OP, if you let people know your location they might be able to suggest some really good courses for you to take.

haha. Every time I meet someone who is a music major I get jealous. I'm doing Biology and Chemistry instead. haha. But yeah, I just try and learn on my own. You guys are particularly helpful! I live in south texas.

Wow, that is like the best theory answer I've read on the internets. It's like you actually remember this stuff! I just had theory 101 flashbacks! It wasn't pretty! And now I understand why the OP made the second thread. I couldn't remember this stuff at all, and yet I know it is right because I can hear my favorite theory professor saying it. I'm now more certain than ever that the OP has come a long way in learning lots of stuff, but there's no substitute for a good theory teacher. When I was in high school we didn't have theory taught at all, which was frustrating, but in college I had the world's best theory professor. And it's difficult to lead us from the vocal department into the world of theory. We go kicking and screaming.

OP, if you let people know your location they might be able to suggest some really good courses for you to take.

+1. HA HA, I'm right with you Plainsong. It's been 35 years since my coursework, and I still get the sweats thinking about theory classes! (Vocal music too.) And yes, OP, you'll benefit from a theory class. Check a community college.

The MOST important thing about how "good" a chord sounds is its context. Wonderful chords played in the wrong place sound wrong. In the "good old days", the following chords lead to the following places:

I -ii, IV, V, vi
ii - V, sometimes I (but pretty much only when the bassline moves from scale degree 1 to 3 or vice versa)
iii - Didn't get used all that much, best handled by professionals
IV - ii, V, I (plagal "amen" cadence)
V - I, IV, vi (deceptive, interrupted or "oh dear, something's wrong" cadence)
vi - ii, IV, V
vii - tricky territory, quite a lot like a V.

Some more options now exist, but it's surprising how much music still follows these rules, thus explaining the ridiculous lack of interest in pop music chord progressions. If you don't know this, it puts it all in perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w&feature=related It's a I-V-vi-IV, or a "hey, woops, something's wrong, oh, we're in church" progression.

After context, the most important thing is probably voicing, which just means what order the notes come in, and how high or low. This is where the ukulele and re-entrant come into their own, because there is a natural tendency for the ukulele to play fairly "closed" voicings; that is, chords which are crunched together in a tight space. Some complex chords sound great this way.

Beyond that, articulation: how you play it. Strumming a chord might sound rough, but when you arpeggiate it, play all the notes separately, it sounds great. For a ukulele example of this try this Cmaj7 voicing: 4-0-0-3. Terrible strummed, but lovely as an arpeggio.

It's complicated. But that's why we're still finding use for these 12 notes a few centuries after we settled on them.

Last edited:
I remember when our professor during a review on vii chords and leading tones and all that, was discussing chromatic upper neighboring tones. That's a lot to write, so over the notation on the board he just abbreviated with the first letter of each word. The class full of freshmen and sophomores got a case of the giggles. He looked at that thing for a full 15 seconds before saying "Oh my." :) But he was the kind of teacher where someone would establish a key on the piano as we walked into class, and leave it hanging on a heavy 5th or 7th, and see how long it takes before he can't stand it anymore and resolve it. :)

I don't even remember how chromatic upper neighboring tones work... other than to never abbreviate it.

I remember when our professor during a review on vii chords and leading tones and all that, was discussing chromatic upper neighboring tones. That's a lot to write, so over the notation on the board he just abbreviated with the first letter of each word. The class full of freshmen and sophomores got a case of the giggles. He looked at that thing for a full 15 seconds before saying "Oh my." :) But he was the kind of teacher where someone would establish a key on the piano as we walked into class, and leave it hanging on a heavy 5th or 7th, and see how long it takes before he can't stand it anymore and resolve it. :)

I don't even remember how chromatic upper neighboring tones work... other than to never abbreviate it.

My mom has worked in public education all her working life. About 3 years ago, a newsletter came out, and finally left out the "L". I'd been waiting about 30 years for that.

Top Bottom