somebody said Denver was warming up for the fest...LOL Not!!

MGM

Reaction score
Here's my van this morning as i depart Denver....I have never driven in snow

Slip and slide was the order of the day
snowcar.jpg

Well i learned this morning how to slip and slide in snow driving to the airport.....Festival was great and the UU guys rocked as they said in another thread....

now if only my flight home is uneventful :)

Aloha Mike,
He he ...I hope you brought more than your t shirt, shorts, and rubber slippers brah....I hope you have a great time there and take some pic's for us...Mahalo, Stan

Oh, ho. That's got to be a cruel introduction to Denver for an island boy! I grew up in southwestern Colorado (we got a lot more snow than Denver, usually). I miss my mountains but I don't miss the winters - if I did the past week here would have cured me of it. Imagine a metroplex of 6.8 million people, most of whom don't know how to drive on snow, let alone ice, all slip-sliding together on highways where there are no snow plows and no one with a lick of sense about how to intelligently sand frozen roads - yeah, guess who stayed home all last week!

John

Actually had a great time there and the festival was great Workshops went well and there are a lot of Happy new owners of k brand ukes....Just left Aldrine and Aaron at LAX they are going on a flight to kauai and am going to Oahu.....Say I atr around at a few local eateries and i must say Denver has very beautiful People,,,(okay girls) lol also why did i smell papaklolo in the hotels halls and streets all the time???? Aldrine enlightened me they LOTS od legal Marijuana lol....

Actually had a great time there and the festival was great Workshops went well and there are a lot of Happy new owners of k brand ukes....Just left Aldrine and Aaron at LAX they are going on a flight to kauai and am going to Oahu.....Say I atr around at a few local eateries and i must say Denver has very beautiful People,,,(okay girls) lol also why did i smell papaklolo in the hotels halls and streets all the time???? Aldrine enlightened me they LOTS od legal Marijuana lol....let me see liqour store, nail place, place that sells pot...opph i'm getting glaucoma...7-11 ....another legal pot place,,,on now i get it

Glad you had a good time. Damned glaucoma...
Safe trip home, amigo.

This is something that confuses me. Anders asked me about it, but since I'm not from a snowy part of the US, I didn't know. Do places like Denver who would reasonably expect some snow, use winter tires? Here, you can either use all-terrain or winter tires with metal studs in them. A good pair of winter tires really help the old traction control. Are these still not used, and if so, why? I mean I am from the US, but after living here for so long, I'm genuinely curious.

This is something that confuses me. Anders asked me about it, but since I'm not from a snowy part of the US, I didn't know. Do places like Denver who would reasonably expect some snow, use winter tires? Here, you can either use all-terrain or winter tires with metal studs in them. A good pair of winter tires really help the old traction control. Are these still not used, and if so, why? I mean I am from the US, but after living here for so long, I'm genuinely curious.

We get a fair amount of snow in Michigan. The tire stores sell snow tires but I don't know anyone that uses them. Thanks to traction control and anti-locking brake systems driving in snow is much easier and safer today than it was in the past.

My normally 5 1/2 hr drive home over the mountains from Denver took about 7 1/2 today because of all the snow. It was totally worth it though! The Denver Uke Fest was AWESOME!

Mike: so glad you were there. Yep, even though I'm a mainlander, I also noticed a bit of wafting that I hadn't noticed in awhile. Great place, though, Denver. The land of the REALLY long hugs. Maybe it's the medical MJ, or maybe it's because everyone's so freakin' cold. I'm not sure. But it's a total body lock! Thanks for being there. My new K tenor is now acclimating to Washington state. It's like Christmas at my house. The first uke I've felt compelled to name: Kunia (in honor of my daughter who's been stationed there for 4 years and is responsible for trips to Oahu and the madness of ukulele!). Great to meet you and thanks for adding to my uke stable :) mahalo. -m

;)
My normally 5 1/2 hr drive home over the mountains from Denver took about 7 1/2 today because of all the snow. It was totally worth it though! The Denver Uke Fest was AWESOME!

Glad you made it home safe, Chris. It was great meeting you - we really need to plan on doing the "I'm with the band" thing again next year!

I grew up in the mountains (well, right at the foothills) in Colorado and we always ran studded tires in the winter. Some states don't even allow studs (most of the Northeastern states, I think) because if you spin 'em on dry pavement it tears up asphalt pretty quick (also ruins the studs, so it's really a dumb thing to do).

Back in those days there we had summer tires, then snow tires which had wider tread designed not to clog with packed snow - and then optionally studs. I would think in heavy snow country you'd still want the winter tires - traction control and anti-skid are great but they can't help much if the treads are packed with snow making your tires look like racing slicks! Maybe today's radials are better at shedding snow.

I ran studded tires on all four wheels of my two-wheel (rear wheel drive) car. People thought I was nuts but I had far more traction and breaking control then they did. I never will forget the time some guy tried to follow me through a left turn from a divided street on solidly packed snow. I whipped right through the turn in my little Datsun fastback and looked in the rear view mirror just in time to see him sliding into the curb of the island with the wheels cut full to the left. It tore the right suspension right out of his car. I just kept going. :)

John

I grew up in the mountains (well, right at the foothills) in Colorado and we always ran studded tires in the winter. Some states don't even allow studs (most of the Northeastern states, I think) because if you spin 'em on dry pavement it tears up asphalt pretty quick (also ruins the studs, so it's really a dumb thing to do).

Back in those days there we had summer tires, then snow tires which had wider tread designed not to clog with packed snow - and then optionally studs. I would think in heavy snow country you'd still want the winter tires - traction control and anti-skid are great but they can't help much if the treads are packed with snow making your tires look like racing slicks! Maybe today's radials are better at shedding snow.

I ran studded tires on all four wheels of my two-wheel (rear wheel drive) car. People thought I was nuts but I had far more traction and breaking control then they did. I never will forget the time some guy tried to follow me through a left turn from a divided street on solidly packed snow. I whipped right through the turn in my little Datsun fastback and looked in the rear view mirror just in time to see him sliding into the curb of the island with the wheels cut full to the left. It tore the right suspension right out of his car. I just kept going. :)

John

First off... I'm glad everyone got home/where they needed to go safely.

Secondly... I feel your pain. Driving in snow is absolutely terrible. No matter how safe you drive, you have to worry about the other idiots.

As for snow tires. Best $400 I've ever spent on my crown vic. I can tell a huge difference in handling from last year. The new one's are capable of being studded but the roads around here don't stay covered for long enough to justify putting them in.

I'd like to say a big "Thank You" to MGM for letting me park my ukes and bag behind his table several times throughout the day. They really need a "Uke Check Room" at these things!

Top Bottom