Gaaack! UAS and UIRS

OldePhart

Reaction score
I've just discovered I'm not only afflicted with UAS, I also seem to have a case of Ukulele Inexplicable Retention Syndrome.

I was planning on selling my Kala acacia pocket uke because, frankly, I'm not good enough to do much with it. I've seen the videos of guys going nuts on one but about all I can do is muddle through some first-position open chords and even that is not really comfortable.

So, yesterday I shot a video mostly to demonstrate via video with the Peterson strobo-clip that the setup I'd done on it had the intonation perfect across the first fret. In the video I mentioned that the action at the bridge-end was decent - not perfect, but decent enough that I hadn't bothered with lowering the bridge saddle. I also went on to describe the tweflth fret intonation and explain how it was about typical for a ukulele without a compensated bridge.

So, I uploaded the video late last night and it was too late to put together the still pictures and I hadn't really decided what to ask for the uke so I figured I'd finish the process today.

Well, today after church I got to thinking about it and said to myself, "self - there is enough extra height on that bridge that you could reshape the top of the saddle for a little better intonation and make the eventual buyer really happy." So, an hour or so later I put the uke back together and tuned it up and discovered that, while I still can only play first position open chords - and it's still not comfortable to hold - it really does sound pretty cool especially now that both nut and bridge action and intonation have been improved. And, you get this really cool doppler sound when you're strumming because the sound hole is so small and the bulk of your hand passes over itl And...

Up shot of this all? The three hours I spent shooting and uploading video yesterday were wasted - this baby ain't goin' nowhere unless I find myself in need of money. :biglaugh:

John

I understand completely. You just made it happy and now it loves you!

I have been sure I could sell an old circa 1928 Harmony and even saw a beater not as nice as mine go for $165 recently (same all solid 'hog, arched back etc.) and every time I take it out of the case and mess with it something happens. I don't even like old brass bar frets and it is still here. Maybe try # 5. I often think to myself that I don't want all these sopranos lying around but they keep multiplying.. and they are all a kick!

Last edited:
Top Bottom