Got my ukes back

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well, I just picked up my ukes from the luthier. Fret dressing for the the Pono and I had a MiSi installed in the Koaloha. It was a nice day outside so I took some pics. That was a tough four days with no ukes in the house.
DSCN0279.jpg

How bad were the frets on the Pono before the dressing? Big difference afterwards?

Enjoy the Misi in the Concert! :)

The Pono is only a couple of months old. There were a couple of sharp fret ends that were bugging me when I played over the end of the fretboard. My luthier is absolutely a scientist at it. It is great now as he leveled and dressed all the frets. The MiSi pickup is the most natural, uncolored acoustic instrument pickup I have ever heard. The best money I have ever spent on amplification.

Aloha UL,
Nice couple of ukes you have...it must have been a dry spell for a couple of days without your ukes!!!!..eh!! Thanks for sharing.. MM Stan..

You're a stronger man than I. Two days with no uke. They are beauties! Congratulations on getting them back.
DAP

Glad to hear they're back and you're able to play them...I couldn't cope without my daily Uke'in

The Pono is only a couple of months old. There were a couple of sharp fret ends that were bugging me when I played over the end of the fretboard. My luthier is absolutely a scientist at it. It is great now as he leveled and dressed all the frets. The MiSi pickup is the most natural, uncolored acoustic instrument pickup I have ever heard. The best money I have ever spent on amplification.

I regret not trying a Misi then. In retrospect, charging it before having to use it wouldn't have been too bad. On the other hand, I do like a little bit of color like how the Beats by Dre do color the music a bit, unlike traditional studio earphones that have flat response.

Enjoy those ukes!

Well, I just picked up my ukes from the luthier. Fret dressing for the the Pono and I had a MiSi installed in the Koaloha. It was a nice day outside so I took some pics. That was a tough four days with no ukes in the house.
View attachment 20168

I love the MiSi in my Mainland but I'm a little leary of putting one in my KoAloha - it seems like any UST has to affect acoustic volume and sustain a little bit, because you've inserted a compressible element between the saddle and bridge. Did you notice any loss of acoustic volume or sustain at all?

John

I didn't notice any difference in volume or tone. I suspect this is because of how good my luthier really is. It is a traditional style saddle "all the way through" the bridge. My guy has milled the proper depth of a slot and left the ends of the saddle still making contact with the bridge as opposed to the entire saddle just sitting on the pickup element. I am sure it is trickier to install this way, but my luthier friend is just that good. I was a little hesitant to have it installed in the Koaloha but it in the, it was the best decision I have made in a while.

I regret not trying a Misi then. In retrospect, charging it before having to use it wouldn't have been too bad. On the other hand, I do like a little bit of color like how the Beats by Dre do color the music a bit, unlike traditional studio earphones that have flat response.

Enjoy those ukes!

As a headphone nut, I don't know many cans that have a flat response. They all color the sound in some way. I like a dark headphone too, especially for portable use, which is why I ditched the Beyer t50ps and went with the TMA-1s. The flattest cans I have are the Beyer dt250s, which are handy, but even my main setup revolves around the dark dt990. None of the studio headphones I've ever had have been flat, but they're eq'd anyway in a studio setting.

My point being, are you sure you'd want a uke pickup as dark as the Beats? From what I've heard there mostly mid-bass boosted. The midbass hump works so well on a portable.

Does anyone know if you can get a factory installed pickup on a Koaloha concert? I see it offered by MGM on tenor and superconcert, but not the concert. Is it just harder to do?

Last edited:
Top Bottom