Hello, not been on here for a wee while and looking for the usual 'New Uke' advice.

Leodhas

Reaction score
Hello, as alluded to in the post title i've not been on here for about a year and i'm back for some of the predictable new uke advice. I have a makala dolphin (great wee thing for the money) and a Kala KAT tenor (once again, great thing for the money, I've even performed with this using both condenser and dynamic mics with no problem) however i want to treat myself for my upcoming birthday and would like a new concert or tenor uke that's one step up from the KAT, any suggestions?

On the concert or tenor thing, I'm a 6ft 2" fella and have spam hands, meaning I have large palms and stubby fingers (I was simply born with these, they are navvy hands and there's nothing that can be done) therefore can struggle on the smaller ukes. I notice this with the dolphin, that I can't get too carried away on it because my hands are too big for intricate playing, therefore I'm worried I may get the same problem with the smaller concerts. However I really do want a concert! My hands aren't that bad, I should imagine a lot of fellas out there have the same problem!

Now, you may say 'simply go to the shop and try out the ukes' . However, I live in Edinburgh and there is not a large selection of ukes (to my knowledge) anywhere in Scotland, especially the kind of brands I would be looking towards. I bought both my Kala Kat and the dolphin blind, simply going off advice.

Basically I'm looking for a large concert or tenor uke that's one step up from the KAT but still isn't going to brake the bank.

Cheers for any help offered,

Louie.

PS Any suggestions on new tenor (G tuning) strings would go down a storm.

Can't help you with a Scottish dealer (sadly) but Mainland Concert or Tenor is, to me, the obvious step up in quality. About £200 - £250 in price. They are sublime - all solid and look wonderful. Many on this forum agree.

If you really need more space on the neck, the Fluke ukulele is another great choice -

The neck on my Pono Tenor is pretty stout I think, it may be just what you are looking for. You can get one from MGM on ebay. They are super Ukuleles!

Koa Pili Koko

You can buy a Koa Pili Koko Concert or Tenor. Great solid ukes, with a cheap price for a solid uke, sale on ebay. I receice my tenor today at morning here in Brazil (I have 3 koalohas) and this koa pili koko makes a great sound too!

I remember someone posting that Oscar Schmidt makes some ukes with a wide neck...they might be good to check out.

Have you considered a "Super Concert?" There's a few nice ones out there including an amazing Mainland Pineapple with a tenor neck. I like the Mainland trim better on this shape uke than I do on their hourglass shapes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnNZU3OIvE

Or Ohana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMgbRqu0fWY

Haven't heard of these folks, but gorgeous ukes from solid wood at a great price. I'd research them.
Super concerts hard to find execpt in higher-end ukes. Nalu has several.

http://www.nalu-ukulele.com/products.html

Have you considered a baritone tuned to GCEA? Strings now easily available without having to seek out classical guitar strings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom