My new uke room is finished. Where do you play?

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
I have been in the process of renovating a house that I bought since January of 2010 and finally finished the most important room in the house, my Uke den. This weekend I hung my uke wall hangers and finished the circular table. I had a beautiful piece of 8/4 mahogany in my shop left over from a past job that I re-sawed to make the wall hangers and table top. I also had enough left over to carve a quarter board for my house, a common practice here on Cape Cod. The name refers to both the re-birth of the house and my life after a messy divorce 4 years ago.

I bought a number of String Swing ukulele hangers from Elderly and replaced the red oak bases that came on them with some birds eye maple. I have made all of the furniture in the room, with the exception of my wicker uke chair, which was a gift from my sister.

The room is a haven where I can go to and play and leave all the stresses of daily life behind, which right now in my life are many.

Where do you play ukulele in your house? Do you have a favorite spot or room? I would love to see your photos.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 209
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 203
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 212
More photos

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 91
More Photos

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 50
I aspire to one day have something like that.... I also aspire to one day be in a beautiful single family home with with my wife and kid. We are in a townhome right now that I owned before my wife and I even met. Space is at a premium, so no uke room or any other type of man-cave for me right now. :-(

I play in my office, to the side of my desk if where my Ukes live and my friend made me a lovely wall hanging with pockets for keeping tuner, uke leash, spare strings etc in, which hangs on my door so that's my little Ukulele corner..I've just ordered a desktop music stand which will come in very handy!

Same here mendel. One day :)

By the way, what humidity do you need to keep the house at if you leave out solid wood instruments out like that?

What a lovely room. You did a great job. The furniture/wall shelfs/uke hangers are all really nice and beautiful. You are multi talented. You put a lot of work into your room. What a beautiful collection of instruments you have. I was wondering about the humidity issues too.

I live alone so all my rooms are rooms of my own. I have tried moving into a spare bedroom for my office and for my music but I just don't like being stuck in my extra bedroom. I have a rather large formal dining room that opens up into my living room so I have a corner in the dining room with a computer armoire and in my little corner is where I keep my music and I play in that area too. It works for me.

Thanks for sharing your room. You should be very proud of it.

This is a truly stunning room! I LOVE your uke stands and music stand, just gorgeous!!

I do not have a uke room, although we have a big 'front' room with a nice fireplace couch and dinning table. Also houses, ukes, violins, double bass, various craft projects etc.. I have a craft room that doubles as a guest room I wouldn't dare leave my ukes and stuff in there, because my Mother in law spends a lot of time here and I wouldn't be able to get to my ukes then.. So for now, we play in the main area of the house.

Yes, what a fabulous room to retreat to. Congrats!

Looks a great spot dkcrown, congratulations!!! Since the "kids" moved out, I have taken one of their bedrooms as a music room, although I have to vacate it when they come back to stay for a bit. I only have the one uke, but it shares the room with numerous bagpipes, whistles, crumhorn, gemshorn, various drums etc.

Nice room and excellent craftsmanship on your part. You are truly gifted.

I have 3 kids - I had a guitar room when we were married but it became child #2's bedroom.

I guess I will have to wait until my kids are grown before I have a guitar/uke room. The funny thing is I am in no hurry for that day to come. I dread the day they move out.

Last edited:
Nice work on the room. I usually play the uke in front of my computer. Sometimes i play in the living room.

Man oh man...what a room!!!! Can we all come to visit??????

Me, I play in my office at home or in the livingroom.

I mostly play in front of the computer. jamming and improvising on music. but sometimes I play in bed. and sometimes in the bathroom, not while doing "buisness" but the acoustics are awesome in the bathroom.

I also brought my uke to school once and played in the staircase wich was very nice. my uke never sounded so loud xD

Play mine mainly in my bedroom, or in the lounge if my housemates aren't in.

Same here mendel. One day :)

By the way, what humidity do you need to keep the house at if you leave out solid wood instruments out like that?

I have just put my ukes out on their hangers for a brief stay. They will continue to live in their cases with their own Oasis humidifiers until late spring when the humidity level here in the Northeast reaches acceptable levels. I had looked into humidifying the entire roon, but decided against it. In the meantime, I am looking forward to getting home from work today and seeing all of my "babies" when I walk into my house.

It's not nearly as cool as yours (your space looks amazing, and I love that you built all that yourself!) but this is where I play my uke. I work from home and I turned my home office into my little Hawaiian getaway. I have my ukes on the hangers built by ToucanMango (plumeria, pineapple, honu and whale hook) and then I have a koa wood paddle, ukulele clock, ukulele ceramic (which reads "the older the ukulele the sweeter the music"), ipu, uli uli, hula bear, and a framed picture of the coastline on the Na Pali coast of Kauai. On occasion, I put on ocean sounds on my iPod stereo to try to convince myself I'm in Hawaii while I play...never works. ;)

Right now I'm using a metal music stand but my spouse is building me a wood one for Valentine's Day. It is supposed to be Hawaiian themed with carvings of honu and hibiscus on it.

attachment.php

Nice work on the room.
We play in the man-shedUkes Practice Room.jpg

Looks great! I'm totally in love with your music stand!

Right now I just play wherever I can find some quiet. Sometimes the living room couch, sometimes the bedroom, sometimes the basement. The room that will be my girl cave is currently occupied by an out of luck friend...but some day it will be a glorious girl cave with purple walls and instruments everywhere...at that time I may have to beg you to make a music stand for me. :)

Aloha Dk,
Thanks for sharing....I am so jealous..I can see it's your own entertainment space...wow..nice job buddy!!! Me I have my bedroom because I am disabled and need my ukes close to my bed...Happy strummings...
MM Stan..

Top Bottom