Lanikai

kumboi

Reaction score
I want to buy a Lanikai ukulele: Curly Koa Tenor "Electric" (CK-TEQ). anyone have experience about this brand ...?:cool:

Last edited:
Can't speak for the model you want,but I have owned a
Lanikai 8 string Tenor for a while and it's superb! For a
low priced ukulele everything that you would look for in
a decent 'set up' was already present.
Action and intonation spot on,nice finish,no sharp frets
or high/low frets.Came with Aquilas already on,which are
my strings of choice anyway.I know three other Lanikai
owners,all equally happy.

I own two Lanikai's and have played several others. I really like them especially my O8-E 8 string, I also have an LU21-C that is my usual drag along anywhere uke, it's well built and plays nicely though a little muted when compared to my solid and/or solid top ukes. I think they are a good buy for the price.

Lanikai ukes are quite good for the money. Don't think you can really go wrong, just make sure that the uke is set up properly.

I just purchased the LU -21 Soprano yesterday and can't seem to put it down :) For the price point its really good. It came with AQuila strings which are quite nice.

I've got a Lanikai HU212 soprano. 35 pound beater uke but I just love how it plays

I will also say that unless you are gonna play mostly plugged in, when you get much over $150, I would be looking for at least a solid top (not a koa laminate). I think their solid spruce top series are superb values in the under $150 space, and even the solid top STEQ (with electronics) usually sells just under $180.

Last edited:
If you're going to buy a Lanikai and no one local sets them up, consider calling Mim. Her set ups are top notch and she is wonderful to deal with. I've bought a few ukes from her and she is always awesome.

I once owned an entry level Lani when starting out - it was a great uke, but mine (and I read many) do benefit from a good setup. I would buy from a dealer who will do that for you as opposed to going for the cheapest deal.

My O8E had the best setup I've seen on a factory instrument - my LU-21C had a very high nut so poor intonation. The lesson? Regardless of brand, at this price point you're looking at pretty variable setups - definitely buy from somebody who will set it up properly.

John

thank you with all your comments. i have received my Lanikai: Curly Koa Tenor "Electric" (CK-TEQ) today. Great sound! i love it so much!PC230578.jpg

Top Bottom