Lengthen the cookie time out

Howlin Hobbit

Reaction score
There are times when you just gotta step away from your computer. Sometimes for a minute or two, sometimes for as much as a half hour.

If, like me, you've just returned from 5 days away and are trying to catch up with the bazillion (and four) new posts since you left this can be a disaster. Because when you return to your computer you've been logged off of UU. And when you log off it marks all the threads as read. :(

It would be cool if you could tweak the settings on the cookie timeout a bit. Or, if there is such a thing, change the setting about "mark all threads read on logout" to "no thanks."

Longer cookie time is always good.

cookie-monster3.jpg

How long do you have to be away for it to mark threads as read? I think my longest time away was about a day and a half, but it has recognised where I was up to after that. So I guess it's somewhere between a day and a half and five days?

Boy, time must run all different south of the equator. I think it has logged me off with less than an hour of no activity.

Boy, time must run all different south of the equator. I think it has logged me off with less than an hour of no activity.

Really? Wow! I've never had that problem. I hardly ever actually log out, so I think I disappear as an active user after a while, but when I check for new posts, it always remembers where I was up to, and shows me everything that was posted after the last time I checked. I use Firefox - don't know if that makes any difference?

...when I check for new posts, it always remembers where I was up to, and shows me everything that was posted after the last time I checked.

OK. How does one "check for new posts?" When I log back in after being logged out as an "active user" all of the little icons show no new posts.

EDIT: OK. Belay that. I see how one checks for new posts. I'll give it a try next time I get logged out.

I use Firefox - don't know if that makes any difference?

Me too. Firefox 3.something, under Ubuntu Linux 8.somethingelse (Hardy Heron).

Last edited:
OK. How does one "check for new posts?" When I log back in after being logged out as an "active user" all of the little icons show no new posts.

EDIT: OK. Belay that. I see how one checks for new posts. I'll give it a try next time I get logged out.

Sounds like we've been checking the forum different ways. When I open it up, the first thing I do is click on "new posts" up the top. And that's what seems to always remember where I'm up to :)

I've never tried it the other way, by looking at the icons, so I may have the same problem as you that way.

Top Bottom