PDA

View Full Version : The abranet sanding system

Sven
02-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Like all my posts, take this not as a truth. Take it as a report of an experience made by someone building in the apartment, with humungous sources of dust a bit to close to his wife's stuff. I found this neat system from Mirka called the Abranet. It is, you guessed it, an abrasive net with which to sand wood. The sanding block is full of holes, and connected to a hose that goes to the shopvac. Which in my case is an old vacuum cleaner with a dust separator. So far I've found meshes in 80, 120 and 240 grits. They last very long since they don't get gunked up with dust.

A pic can be seen here, along with some piccolos that are ready for fretting.

http://argapa.blogspot.com/2011/02/dust-evacuation-when-sanding-by-hand.html

All the best / Sven

sweets
02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I've been lusting after these for some time.. It appears as though the hardest piece to get in the U.S. is the hose (Woodcraft and Amazon sell the blocks).

sweets
02-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Also, I've been wondering whether the "interface pads" allow you to get into the waist area adequately using the smaller block.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-07-2011, 12:01 PM
I've used Abranet for my orbital sanders for years. I also have the hand sanders. It has it's place but it's not for every application. I like it because the grit is very sharp and it stays sharp and it doesn't load like many sandpapers do. For this reason it also doesn't pill as much. Note that some sanding hook and loop pads (like my Porter-Cable) does not like Abranet; the hooks are too small and wear out quickly. Luckily, replacements are readily available. I do not use the dust collection system, I'm already tethered to too many tools, but I can see it as an advantage to some. It's a Mirka product. 'Nuf said.