Finally ordered new Uke!

Genie88

Reaction score
So I finally went and ordered a Mainland Mahogany concert uke (it was somewhat above my budget, but yay for birthdays ^_^) and am super excited!

It should arrive sometime later this week, my question is...are there any particular care/maintenance that I should be concerned about for this little uke?

Aloha Genie88,
Congratulations on your new Mainland..I hope you got a case too!!! a nice micro fiber cloth and polish.. Happy Birthday too..Have Fun and Enjoy!! Happy Strummings...MM Stan

I got fed up with Kala spruce lacewood, so I gifted it my father in-law, so that with some new strings, he can learn a bit about uke. My husband said he wouldn't want it, but father in-law said heck yeah he did. :)

So that left me pretty much without my favorite scale length. I got more for my birthday than I thought I would, so I treated myself to a Mainland matte mahogany. I wasn't expecting much. Maybe because of the price or maybe that it's from a big faceless nameless factory, and maybe because I have a soprano that defines the breed, and a superconcert that defines the breed. And I'd gotten an Eleuke for Christmas and was very pleased already. How can the Mainland compete?

Whoa was I wrong! I bonded with that little guy immediately! Best.Birthday.Evar! - and I'm counting the totally-a-surprise-car I got when I was a teenager.

So I finally went and ordered a Mainland Mahogany concert uke (it was somewhat above my budget, but yay for birthdays ^_^) and am super excited!

It should arrive sometime later this week, my question is...are there any particular care/maintenance that I should be concerned about for this little uke?

Take the care you would with any all wooden instrument; a hard case is a good idea, a case humidifier.

Enjoy your new instrument!

Thom

+1 on the case and humidifier. A good waxing of the body once in a blue moon if you're so inclined - I'm partial to Renaissance wax because it does a great job and doesn't build up. It also leaves gloss, gloss and matte, matte.

John

so I treated myself to a Mainland matte mahogany. I wasn't expecting much. Maybe because of the price or maybe that it's from a big faceless nameless factory, and maybe because I have a soprano that defines the breed, and a superconcert that defines the breed. And I'd gotten an Eleuke for Christmas and was very pleased already. How can the Mainland compete?

Whoa was I wrong! I bonded with that little guy immediately! Best.Birthday.Evar! - and I'm counting the totally-a-surprise-car I got when I was a teenager.

Yeah, I was in exactly the same boat when I ordered my mango tenor. I was like, "eh, I need a tenor with a pickup, it's going to be for amplified performance with a loud band anyway and I don't play tenor that often, it probably won't live up to the hype but it will be good enough." It gets as much play time as my KoAloha concert. :)

I think part of that assembly and setup process Mike does up in Indiana is rub crack into the fetboard or something. That's the only explanation I can come up with because I don't even like the rope binding! LOL

John

With my Mainland, I'm letting the chips fall as they may. I'm tired of keeping my favorite ukes in hard-to-get-at-cases all winter, from October to May pretty much. I wanted one that I would really enjoy playing, and I wanted to leave it out. That should have meant a laminate, but since I do try to keep the living room humidified (it just doesn't work so well, but the uke is closer to the humidifier - not too close though) though. So far, so good. We'll see. I know if it goes bad, it's my own dang fault. :)

That explains the rehab I've been confronted to get. ;)

Yeah, I was in exactly the same boat when I ordered my mango tenor. I was like, "eh, I need a tenor with a pickup, it's going to be for amplified performance with a loud band anyway and I don't play tenor that often, it probably won't live up to the hype but it will be good enough." It gets as much play time as my KoAloha concert. :)

I think part of that assembly and setup process Mike does up in Indiana is rub crack into the fetboard or something. That's the only explanation I can come up with because I don't even like the rope binding! LOL

John

With my Mainland, I'm letting the chips fall as they may. I'm tired of keeping my favorite ukes in hard-to-get-at-cases all winter, from October to May pretty much. I wanted one that I would really enjoy playing, and I wanted to leave it out. That should have meant a laminate, but since I do try to keep the living room humidified (it just doesn't work so well, but the uke is closer to the humidifier - not too close though) though. So far, so good. We'll see. I know if it goes bad, it's my own dang fault. :)

I just did pretty much the opposite. I decided the "ultra light hard case" I'd robbed from my Lanikai to keep the Mainland in was not good enough for it and got an Oahu case from MGM for my Mainland. Yeah, a $100 case for a $300 uke - go figure. :biglaugh:

I don't know what the big deal about cases is. I keep 'em on my workbench in my office unless I'm working on a project so it doesn't take 30 seconds to flip open a case and grab a uke. I guess maybe you have to be used to living with clutter... :)

John

John

Congratulations. You will love it! I love both of my Mainlands. I play them as much as my 2 vintage Martins (which I LOVE LOVE LOVE!). I can't add any more to the care comments. if you haven't already, get a case and a case humidifier like an Oasis brand (which Mike at Mainland sells). Polish it with a micro-fiber cloth now and then. Change the strings when they need it. That's about it. Maybe put some fretboard oil on the fingerboard once a year or so. Try not to drop it. That's all I can think of!

Congrats on your new Mainland!!! Don't forget to post some pictures when you can!!

The main things for your uke are get a good humidifier and a hard case to store the uke in (if you don't get one with the uke).
The MOST IMPORTANT thing is....play it a lot!!!!!!

Have fun!!

Yeah, a $100 case for a $300 uke - go figure. :biglaugh:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a Fremont Rectangular case for my Kala, and a Kala basket weave case for my Cordoba. An $80 case for my $350 uke, and a $90 case for my $140 uke. And home-made humidifiers in both cases. (3 with the Kala, 2 with the Cordoba)

Both great cases, both great ukes.

Still plotting.. er, planning the next Uke acquisition...

-Kurt

Thanks so much for the advice and enthusiasm guys! Now I'm super excited :D. The uke shipped out today and I'm crossing my finger's I'll get it before the weekend...

I live in OR where it's pretty humid most of the time (weather here is like Seattle...) so would I still need a humidifier? And yeah, I didn't get a case from Mainland, but I will def go pick up a decent case :)

Congratulations on the new ukulele! Please post photos if you can.

I live in OR where it's pretty humid most of the time (weather here is like Seattle...) so would I still need a humidifier? And yeah, I didn't get a case from Mainland, but I will def go pick up a decent case :)

The important humidity issue is how humid it is in your living space. In the winter, even in places with relatively warm and wet winters like Oregon or my city, San Francisco, having the heat on has a drying effect. Sometimes in my apartment, if the heat is on, the humidity will drop to below 20 percent, even if it's raining outside. You want to keep a solid wood ukulele at about 40 percent humidity.

I use an Oasis humidifier that clips onto the storage area of my case, and I also keep a hygrometer (humidity meter) in my case.
attachment.php
attachment.php

You can get them here, among other places.

http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-OH-6-Case-Humidifier/dp/B0010XSZ3A/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_img_c
http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-OH-2-Digital-Hygrometer-clip/dp/B0018A21QC/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_text_c

Great! Play it in good health. Let us know how it goes...

Top Bottom