PDA

View Full Version : Bugsgear help needed

aremick
02-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Anyone have a schematic for a bugsgear, or maybe just willing to open theirs up and post a pic?

I just got one from e-bay, and its a mess inside (But, it was only $24)

Alternatively, anyone have any idea on what kind of amp I could replace the one currently in it with?

GrumpyOldMan
02-09-2011, 03:29 AM
My Daughter is building an Electric Uke at college so we had our Eleuke in bits the other day. They look a bit on the rough side inside don't they, lol?

I have ordered a preamp off ebay, from Hong Kong as I couldn't find anything similar anywhere else. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150544759898&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT As it has not yet arrived I can't comment on it, I'm expecting to need to do some mods but only to fit it into the body. It is an Artec make and I think they have a reasonable reputation. I do not think it would fit the Eleuke without mods for the same reason I think I will need to make mods to fit my Daughters uke, the PCB will need to be turned through 90 degrees or at the very least the jack sockets removed from the PCB and maybe put on leads.

Hope this helps,
Ian.

aremick
02-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Mine has no ribbon cables, only discrete wiring!

I looked at the Artecs, may go in that direction, but really would like to maintain the headphone capability...

aremick
02-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Had one of those "duh" moments when I woke up this morning. The pots solder directly to the bd, don't they. so all I need to figure out is how to wire up the main output jack. Only 3 wires, shouldn't be too hard...

GrumpyOldMan
02-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Post a picture of what you actually have. It's hard to offer help without knowing what there is to work with.
Do you have the MP3 PCB? (that's the bit which in my pic is being held by the Hi Tech offcut of wood, lol).
Ian.

aremick
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey Ian - I pretty much tested the thing and convinced myself the motherbd was bad, so I took it out and wired the pickup directly to the jack. It works for now. I have a Vox Headphone amp and a pignose main amp, and between them I can get either sound of headphones.

I'm going to try to get a replacement for the main board...

GrumpyOldMan
02-11-2011, 04:58 AM
There's not much on the board so wouldn't be too difficult to rebuild.
If you find a replacement post some info. I'd be keen to know what you do.

By the way, I think Eleuke themselves are registered on Ukulele Underground. They're definitely on facebook. Drop them a line and see what they have to say.

Ian.

aremick
02-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Eleuke support is sending me a new preamp, with the mp3 input (and battery holder, and pickup). All for the outrageous price of $23.

They said I would have to sand the holes to widen them a bit as the pots are slightly further apart.

I need to figure out how to put a second jack hole in the bottom, too

Will let you know how things go...

Alan
--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.greatscotlanhikes.com (http://www.greatscotlandhikes.com)

aremick
03-05-2011, 03:29 AM
Update: Got the preamp in the mail yesterday. Had to widen the holes in the front a bit to put i9t in - they are just a little closer together than the original.

Totally screwed up the bottom though, when the dremel router I was using to make room for the headphone/mp3 jack sub board hit one of the 1/4" jack mounting screws, breaking that whole piece off. Soooo pissed. Glued it back on. Put it back together. The whole thing works now. Not quite as nice to look at, but it was a beater in the first place. Sounds pretty good though.

I need to make a thin brass plate for the headphone/mp3 jacks. The finish flaked off where i drilled the second hole. I'll use it to cover the damage near the 1/4" jack too, so in the end it won't look too bad.

I really like the finish on this one - too bad they don't make them any more, I might just consider buying a new one like it.

Not too bad for the ~$75 I have in it. (OK, not counting the new Worths I put on it!)

GrumpyOldMan
03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Glad it's all sorted. $23 from Eleuke is a real bargain and much less than the cost of the bits and pieces I bought for my daughters project. I think I paid $15 just for the pickup not including the international shipping. Wish I'd contacted them myself now. In fact I'm quite tempted to still do it.

Ian.