Feeling discouraged today.

GKK

Reaction score
Today, I printed out Uncle Rod's "Boot Camp" ukulele lessons and after trying the first page of chords I felt that I was never going to learn them.

The only chords I know really well are C G G7 Am A F and Bb. Some of the Chords on the first page I just physically can't get my fingers into the positions and doing it without looking seems impossible.

It felt like I was back in school. I have a hard time learning from books but, I can do almost anything hands on. I'm staying positive because I'm going to learn this Uke sooner or later!

I think I'm going to skip the Boot Camp for now and do what I was doing before, learning chords and strumming patterns from downloaded songs and You Tube video's.

Thanks, for listening.:)

I know how you feel about learning new chords. After practice, some of the difficult (D, for example) chords starts to feel a lot more natural.

Today, I printed out Uncle Rod's "Boot Camp" ukulele lessons and after trying the first page of chords I felt that I was never going to learn them.

The only chords I know really well are C G G7 Am A F and Bb. Some of the Chords on the first page I just physically can't get my fingers into the positions and doing it without looking seems impossible.

It felt like I was back in school. I have a hard time learning from books but, I can do almost anything hands on. I'm staying positive because I'm going to learn this Uke sooner or later!

I think I'm going to skip the Boot Camp for now and do what I was doing before, learning chords and strumming patterns from downloaded songs and You Tube video's.

Thanks, for listening.:)

Hang in there, friend! And you might try another way for a while. When I started I went to doctoruke.com and just found simple songs I liked, printed out the charts, and the chord diagrams are right there. I learned new songs and chords at the same time, and I enjoyed myself.

Keep at it. Sometimes you need to try many different good methods until one way speaks to you.

Just tonight, as I was playing, basically badly, I was reminded at how far I have come and how hard the chords used to be and I couldn't imagine ever playing them without looking. I am still a beginner but sometimes we don't notice progress until we reflect back on it over time. Also there are different learning styles. For me I do a lot of playing music and having fun and a little of the actual lessons. It sounds like a good idea to take a break from Uncle Rods bootcamp and just have some fun with it. Hang in there.

Play stuff you enjoy playing. Then, the "new" and "difficult" chords come at you one at a time, spaced apart. You go to learn a new song and it's got a Bb - hey, no big deal, it's just one new chord to learn, right! Two years later you discover that you know more chords then you thought you did!

Also, start looking into the "closed" movable chords. Those can be moved all over so you learn a whole bunch of chords for the 'price" of one.

Thanks, Everyone!

I checked out the doctoruke.com site and I really liked it a lot! Also, I've only been playing for three week's now but, looking back I've come a long way because I can Strum a lot better and even figured out how to "Chuck"!

I used to play the Trumpet in High School marching band but, it sure seemed a lot easier.

Aloha GKK,
Hang in there partner, practice make perfect. Repetition IS the BEST TEACHER, the more you do it, the easier it becomes.
The main thing is to have fun................BO..............

So, you got a great start! Some people avoid Bb likes it a disease! And w/the other 6 you list there, you are equipped to play a TON of songs! Check out the "C-G-Am-F thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?33947-Master-List-of-C-G-Am-F-songs!

I bet you'll find some songs there that you like & know well enough that the rhythm & strumming will come pretty naturally to you. AND, in the meantime, get more confident in your playing.

Enjoy!

Aloha GKK,
Try my method man.... instead trying to cram your head learning the whole chart which you may not use, at least the beginning....try a different song with different chords each time and build your chord
library by repetition....it's a whole lot easier...good Luck....Happy Strummings...MM Stan

GKK,
Keep at it, don't give up. I'm new to this too, and I think I really suck at it most of the time. One day, I finally learn a song, and the next day, I don't know the first note of it.
I try to go back and forth between strumming a song, then finger picking notes on another song. That keeps it interesting. If I get tired of fighting something, I take a break.
I hate the b flat and e chords too... I don't even like the way e major sounds...

I find that sometimes when I am forced to take a break from the ukulele by being out of town or something (which is about the ONLY way I take a break from it), when I pick it up again, I have an easier time doing something that was giving me fits before. So it's good to take a break now and then, at least from "learning". Pick it up and just mute the strings and strum it, trying different patterns. Or finger chords without strumming. I do both of those things a lot, especially if I'm watching TV or something. Sometimes, the less you think about what you're doing, the more naturally it comes to you, and one day, you'll discover that you can do things you didn't know you could. Then again.. sometimes you won't be able to do things that you know darned well you SHOULD be able to do! Everyone has off-days sometimes. Don't give up!

I think we all have days when we're really "on" and other days that we're just not with it at all. If you're not into it after 15 minutes or so, chalk your session up to "callus maintenance" and then go do something else. There's always tomorrow. :)

Also keep in mind that learning to play uke should be a long,slow, enjoyable journey. It's not a sprint to the finish line.
Maybe just try the easy chords on the top line of each page. Use a metronome set to a SLOW beat(40 bpm is you have to) and do 4 strums each chord (ex. C am F G7) Them 3 strums on the same chords. Then 2 and finally1.
I do each set of chords twice (4 strums on all 4 chords repeat. Then 3 strums on all 4 chords repeat etc...)
If the two and one strum per chord is not sounding good that's ok. Just do this every day for a week and see what happens.

Also keep in mind that learning to play uke should be a long,slow, enjoyable journey. It's not a sprint to the finish line.
Maybe just try the easy chords on the top line of each page. Use a metronome set to a SLOW beat(40 bpm is you have to) and do 4 strums each chord (ex. C am F G7) Them 3 strums on the same chords. Then 2 and finally1.
I do each set of chords twice (4 strums on all 4 chords repeat. Then 3 strums on all 4 chords repeat etc...)
If the two and one strum per chord is not sounding good that's ok. Just do this every day for a week and see what happens.

This is an excellent idea. I'm gonna start doing it - tomorrow.
"callus maintenance", I love it!

Hey - I began playing the uke three weeks ago too - and I had the same problems...
So I switched my "learning method" to a wild mixture :
- first I start by trying out strumming patterns with muted strings so I get a "feel" for the uke and focus my concentration
- Then I play All chords I already know using a metronome to improve my "cord-changing-speed"
- Then I continue learning a song that I can already play but not yet sing to it
- Then I continue learning the next song on the uke
- After having "fighted my way" trough this I play the songs I already know, jam around and just have fun....

This way there's always a "reward" at the end that keeps me trying the hard ones ;-)

Maybe this helps....
BL

Top Bottom