Low G - not just for tenors!

elisdad

Reaction score
After the Charlotte uke jam last Saturday, I had Mim string up a low G on my Luna Tattoo concert (and she lowered the action a bit because she rocks). I really enjoy the new sound. I know it really only gives you three notes lower than the C string, but provides a much more full sound on the uke. It also seems (according to my kiddos) that the Luna is now louder than my fluke. I haven't been playing long, and recall the low G seeming "weird" to me just starting out, but I dig it.

Aloha elisdad,
I agree with you on the low G. I like the bottom end it provides while strumming and singing.................BO..............

I agree...

I just strung my Sopranino (from Mim, coincidentally!) low G after installing a pickup in it.
Wound Low G and Worth Browns... the tension is nice and taut and, while the action is a little high (I'm thinking about routing it down a smidge), it still feels really nice to play.

I strung my Martin S-O with an unwound low G, but I busted the nut from the slot to the upper edge of the neck. It's playable, but has not enhanced my low G experience! I need to get that fixed and give it some more play time. I think there's some potential there...

I have had a low G on my Ohana soprano for some time now. I like to pick out the melody on songs and it really helps having those extra notes. I also like being able to lay down a minimal base line with it. I've gone back several times, but always seem to return to the low G.

I bought the first book of James Hills Ukulele in the classroom to teach my kiddos a bit of music (and uke). He highly recommends low G for teaching music. I am not sure if I'll switch their ukes yet, but it does make more sense to hear the notes in a linear versus re-entrant progression. That first book has been good for me to learn to sight read basic music as well. I have gone back and played some of the bass lines that have low G, A, B notes. Good stuff!

I agree, the low-g also works well with a concert. I keep my pineapple concert strung with low-g (strings purchased from Mim), and I can't imagine playing it differently. I keep a tenor strung in high-g but the low-g ukes are my go-to ukes. For me it helps break some of the stigma that some people have with ukes not sounding very full or toy-like but rather a serious musical instrument.

I did Low G on my tenor... although I know it is the classic Tenor scenario, I LOVE IT!!!

It does take a bit to get your brain used to the new sound, but whoa buddy, I LOVE IT! (Did I mention I love it?)

I was playing it last night with a Brandon Flowers song and it just "worked" so well! It is a rock song with a strong bass side of the guitar line. I have a wound G & C which adds an little more low-end. I think it is my preference when it comes to Tenors because when I tried just the one wound Low G, that string really stood out and it seemed off-balance. It may be the combination of tone woods though. It is my Eleuke Prototype Acoustic Cedar/Rosewood. Cedar/Rosewood is loud with such a strong lower end, the 2 wound combination seemed to suit it well. The other nice thing is, if you play it standing up with a strap (the MiSi provides the button) the resonance shakes your whole core. I can't explain it, but it is wonderful. It is like you soul feels the bass! I think it is my new favorite uke because of it (shhhh... don't tell my concert)!

Low g on all my ukes, for the overtones and extra notes.

I have had a low G on my Ohana soprano for some time now. I like to pick out the melody on songs and it really helps having those extra notes. I also like being able to lay down a minimal base line with it. I've gone back several times, but always seem to return to the low G.

Low G on a soprano? That sounds interesting! I might have to try that. May I ask what kind of strings you use? Can't imagine they would have a low G soprano set of strings out there. Maybe mix and match?
My previous experiences with a low G was that it overpowered all the other strings, but after this thread I am ready to give it another run.

Aquila do a low G set for soprano.
However the cheapest way is to buy a classical guitar string wound D shorten it and tune it to G on your soprano.
Worth do a low G flu/carbon but I prefer wound D from a guitar.
Nice to find so many people using low G tuning.:cool:

Low G on a soprano? That sounds interesting! I might have to try that. May I ask what kind of strings you use? Can't imagine they would have a low G soprano set of strings out there. Maybe mix and match?
My previous experiences with a low G was that it overpowered all the other strings, but after this thread I am ready to give it another run.

I generally use a set of Low G Aquilas. I think the first time, I just bought the low G though. The Aquila low G is wound. Here is what they sound like on the soprano with lots of plucking of the G for bass.

Last edited:
I find I like both high & low g. It gives me a reason for buying more ukuleles.
I tried low g on a soprano a few years ago and was a little disappointed.
I keep a tenor or two in low and a few in high. The high gives that classic ukulele sound.
I also like the high when playing some old timey stuff, gives a banjo sound.
Playing jazz, 30 & 40 standards and some blues the low g just shines.

Sounds good SweetWater. I'm sold.
Now can I find some Low G strings to go pick up by the time I get off work is the question!

Try the Fremont Blackline low Gs. Excellent tone and a non-wound G string. I have them on a couple concerts and they are great.

Bruddah Iz played with a low-G on his soprano.

I put low-G (Worth Clears) on one of my sopranos, my concert, and one of my tenors. Those 5 extra low notes can make such a difference.

I received an e-mail from Aquila saying they are working on a non-wound low-G string (doing density testing). No date on when it will be available.

Just an experiment. Low G on a sopranino? I've tried it and I like it.

I did Low G on my tenor... although I know it is the classic Tenor scenario, I LOVE IT!!!

It does take a bit to get your brain used to the new sound, but whoa buddy, I LOVE IT! (Did I mention I love it?)

I was playing it last night with a Brandon Flowers song and it just "worked" so well! It is a rock song with a strong bass side of the guitar line. I have a wound G & C which adds an little more low-end. I think it is my preference when it comes to Tenors because when I tried just the one wound Low G, that string really stood out and it seemed off-balance. It may be the combination of tone woods though. It is my Eleuke Prototype Acoustic Cedar/Rosewood. Cedar/Rosewood is loud with such a strong lower end, the 2 wound combination seemed to suit it well. The other nice thing is, if you play it standing up with a strap (the MiSi provides the button) the resonance shakes your whole core. I can't explain it, but it is wonderful. It is like you soul feels the bass! I think it is my new favorite uke because of it (shhhh... don't tell my concert)!

mim what string set did you use for the wound g and c.

I currently have a worth brown BT LG but the low g is rather floppy

Ohta-San :bowdown:

Regards,
Ray

Top Bottom