Some Kalas dropping from the 2011 lineup

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Well a few things are changing at Kala with a lot of exciting new models coming in Spring and Summer but a couple are going
The only wood option for the Thin body will be spruce/mahogany. Adios Lacewood and Spalted maple.
Pocket uke only the solid spruce covered in spalted maple no mo mahogany or acacia
Archtop only available in burst

There are still some pockets left but the thinbod ymaple/lacewood tenors well" Elvis has left the building".
Resonators in concert and tenor should be late summer with the Ukadelics to arrive March/April

That kind of makes sense from a profitability standpoint. I was kind of amazed at the dizzying array of different lines they were offering. However, even in my short experience with the uke, they seem to have offered several lines for only a short time.

So does that mean that my Kala spalted maple spruce tops (tenor and Bari) will become collectibles? :) I really love the sound of both of them and have not played anything I liked better. Lozark

lozark I think that only applies to the travel versions of the spalted maple instruments

Oh those are staying on. It's just in the Thinline/Travel ukes. The flame-spalted maple/spruce line will remain except it looks like the bari has been dropped. The acacia line will now feature a bari and there is a limited edition 6 string acacia tenor out, very limited.
So does that mean that my Kala spalted maple spruce tops (tenor and Bari) will become collectibles? :) I really love the sound of both of them and have not played anything I liked better. Lozark

I better rephrase this-
the lacewood and spalted maple are only going from the travel uke. Still a spalted maple and lacewood line.
Pocket uke is dropping mahogany and acacia but still a mahogany and acacia line.
Well a few things are changing at Kala with a lot of exciting new models coming in Spring and Summer but a couple are going
The only wood option for the Thin body will be spruce/mahogany. Adios Lacewood and Spalted maple.
Pocket uke only the solid spruce covered in spalted maple no mo mahogany or acacia
Archtop only available in burst

There are still some pockets left but the thinbod ymaple/lacewood tenors well" Elvis has left the building".
Resonators in concert and tenor should be late summer with the Ukadelics to arrive March/April

Any more information on the resonators? I have been waiting forever for a vaguely affordable tenor sized resonator uke and would be wildly excited if this turned out to be on the cards :)

Oh those are staying on. It's just in the Thinline/Travel ukes. The flame-spalted maple/spruce line will remain except it looks like the bari has been dropped. The acacia line will now feature a bari and there is a limited edition 6 string acacia tenor out, very limited.
so is the FMB Baritone going? This is the best uke I own, with gorgeous wood. i hope i misunderstood, and its not going, cos people should have a chance to have this brilliant uke.

Top Bottom