Not sure which is better for me. . .

mandrew

Reaction score
I am going to buy a first uke, and am looking at a soprano or concert. I have medium to small hands for a man. I am not sure which will serve me better. I understand that they are both tuned the same, but is the concert easier to fret, or about equal? Also, I don't want to buy something, then wish I had more notes available later. Also, the tenor is described as tuned the same as the soprano, but is it an octave lower? I plan to start learning to strm, but really want to learn to finger pick later. What are your thoughts?

I think they are both very small and hardly different for doing chords (I have both). It seems likely that whichever one you start with, you will acquire at least one of each of the soprano, concert, and tenor as time goes on. :)

Also, the tenor is described as tuned the same as the soprano, but is it an octave lower?

Nope...same octave. When fingerpicking I find that I play up the fretboard quite a bit so I personally like tenors...more room on the high frets. I also have smaller hands and find that it's usually not a problem with a tenor (there are a few exceptions...for instance, Jake's "Piano Forte" does some big stretches which would definitely be easier on a soprano or concert). Best advice is to go to a store that carries all three sizes and try them out. See which size feels best to you.

Aloha Mandrew,
No one can tell which you prefer, it's your own personal perference....You have to go in a music store and try them out for sound, playability, and comfortability.. What I may like may not be what you like...
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele...Have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings...MM Stan..

Buy both, you know you want to!

Buy both, you know you want to!

LOL.....Yes buy both...eventually you will!!!!

Try to go to a store that has both sizes and try each one out. I would say to go for the concert, but when you play them you will know which one to buy! But be warned....you will eventually have both!!! (UAS)

I would start with a concert or a tenor. I have medium sized hands for a man, although I wear a size large glove because my fingers are fat (I guess lol). My concert is easier to finger pick than my soprano, and my tenor is the easiest of all to finger pick. That said, there are some chords that are easier to play on a soprano, because it is so small.

Unless you have an immense amount of talent, it will be some time before you run out of notes on even a soprano.

Most people can learn to play anything from a soprano to a baritone. Its just a matter of practice. In the end, the kind you have will probably depend more on the kind of music you want to play. If you get the 1920's-1940's (The First Golden Age of Uke) you simply will have to have a koa or mahogany soprano. If you get the jazz bug, probably only a tenor will do... and on and on it goes. In other words, don't worry too much about that first uke. Just go to a music store or regional uke meeting and plunk on one to see which you like best. You will know a lot more about what YOU want in a few months.

Last edited:
The BEST way is to go to a store that has both sizes and play each one, then you will know what size is most comfortable to you! If that can not be done, I would say to get a Concert because the Soprano might be too small for you.

Just my :2cents:

I am going to buy a first uke, and am looking at a soprano or concert.

I'm going throught the same thing looking to buy my first uke. The best advice I've heard is just to buy one and start playing. I'm going to get an MGM Dolphin and start playing. Then after I've been playing for a while I'll have a better idea of what I want from a uke. I haven't even bought my first uke and I'm already planning my second!!

I thank you all for the good advice. The problem is that I have no good music stores in my very rural area in Southern Illinois. One store said they had one uke, and didn't know what kind it was. I will just get something decent online and dig in!

Top Bottom