Banjolele enthusiasts

Ron

Reaction score
Spotted a Keech. 1940's?
From my investigations they seem fairly common internationally but not at all common here in NZ
Usually around $US170?
This one could well go for less.
Worth it?

Alvin Keech started making banjoleles in the late teens and finished up, I believe, in the early 30's, so it's older than 40's. He made several different models, and if you can, you should post a photo.

Over the last six months, I've tracked Keech banjoleles on eBay and six have moved. They're not common, and they go for a LOT more in the UK than they do elsewhere in the world.

In the UK, the six-tensioner model with the floating head assembly (basically the junior model) has gone for $411 US for a fully restored and refinished model, $231 US for one in excellent original condition, $106 US in VG condition with quite a bit of wear, and $416 US for one in mint condition. A different model went for $159 US - a longscale listed in very good condition.

The same six-tensioner model in what I would call VG+/excellent condition - sold in the US for $90 in December. In the US, they just don't have the name association or cache that they have in the UK.

So is it worth $170? Depends on the model, the condition and what you want to do with it. If you plan to play George Formby style, the Keech banjolele (which he didn't play but it is ironically associated with him) is not an easy instrument to play in that way as the action tends to be somewhat high, though it can be adjusted. Otherwise, its a fine instrument for other playing styles.

Thanks John. Anything you DON"T know about banjo ukes? ;-)
Looking at this I don't think it has a floating head assembly. But that's all I can find out. That's the prob with onlibne auctions by people who don't know what they're selling.
I won't George Formbying! Most likely just something like San Fran Bay Blues.
I might take a punt on it and see.
If I don't like it I'll list in the UK!

:D There's WAY too much I don't know - how's that for an OCD answer?

Here's one of the six-tensioner model, it just posted today: http://cgi.ebay.com/LOVELY-BANJO-UK...ruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item27b8a4984e As you can see, the head 'appears' to float within that outer ring.

If what you're looking at doesn't have this kind of construction, it's probably one of the larger models.

:D Yes - Give it a try and if you don't like it, someone from the UK will no doubt pay more for it than you did!!

Well this looks like that junior model. As I say - very hard to get info from someone who doesn't know what they're selling.
Seller says it's in good nick so I'll stick bid on and see if anyone else has spotted it.
Thanks for your help.trademe banjo.jpg

All wasted chatter - it went a fair bit higher than I could afford (well, am willing to pay, anyway). Over $NZ250.00.
BUT - My buddies Slingerlad Maybelle. is the next project. Sitting at his place with nasty steel strings and in need of tlc.
I'll send some picks.

That, I'd like to see! Slingerlands are better instruments than Keeches and they routinely sell for less. I've had two - just handed the model 24 off to a friend to see if she likes it and wants to buy it - and I have to say for the price I paid and what I put into both, the sound and playability are outstanding.

Here 'tis.
Nasty old steel strings on it at present.
What would you put on it stringwise?
There are two numbers stamped on it next to Slingerland. Two sort od dots. first is unreadable Maybe a 0 or a 2 or a 8 = second is almost certainly 4.
Belonged to my friends grandfather in law from Tennessee.

Attachments

• SDC10312.jpg
    SDC10312.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 11
  • SDC10311.jpg
    SDC10311.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
  • SDC10315.jpg
    SDC10315.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 8
  • SDC10314.jpg
    SDC10314.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 8
  • SDC10313.jpg
    SDC10313.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 8
Ron - thanks for the heads up note!

What you see on the dowel is the model number. This is a Model 24 MayBell, which is their standard 8" pot model (it was built with or without a flush resonator), and from the type of embossed brand on the headstock and the brand on the dowel, you can date this to mid to late 20's.

It looks quite good, everything's intact. I'd try Aquila soprano nylguts on this, which is what I use on mine. I've used their banjo-uke set, but I don't think they sound as good. You may also want to try Aquila real gut strings (a great sound) or La Bella Senoritas, which not many get excited about, but they sound really good on banjo ukes. You probably know this already, but to set the bridge in the proper spot, measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. Then, once strung enough so the the tension keeps the bridge against the head, place the bridge the same distance from the 12th fret as the nut is. Once you tune up, you should get a strong harmonic at the 12th fret. You can adjust so that you're at the right distance, and then, mark where the bridge's feet are with a pencil so that you can always get it back into the right spot easily.

One last note - these almost always sound better tuned up to D tuning or even Eb.

That's it! Any chance your friend will let you have it/buy it?

John

Thanks for all that.
I just happen to have a set of Aquila looking for a uke.
Plenty of access to that uke. Terry is other other half of the Ukes of Hazard so it will be part of the family. He's just not as geeky about ukes as I am so was happy for it to sit on the shelf looking good and had done no rsearch to find out about it.
Not for sale though. Family heirloom and all that.
I'll let you know how we go.

Top Bottom