Lanikai S-TEQ or Lanikai CK-TEQ

mwm

Reaction score
I'm considering buying either a Lanikai S-TEQ or CK-TEQ. Has anyone done a side by side test of these two ukes? Which sounds better? The S-TEQ has a solid top versus a laminated koa top on the CK-TEQ but the S-TEQ is significantly cheaper. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The spruce topped one sounds better to me. Not as pretty to look at, though.

I don't think I have played the CK-TEQ, but I did a lot of A-B testing of both the Lankai and Kala spruce top tenors to other ukes when I was deciding on my Lanikai ST (Essentially the STEQ without the cutaway and electronics). I must say that every laminate toped one I tested did not have the tone or volume of the solid spruce tops. A thin layer of koa on top is pretty, but it does little for the sound. Therefore, I would have to agree with harpdog - get the solid top. Take the $100 or so you save and buy a nice case and humidifier.

Last edited:
The Spruce Tops are fabulous! Loud, bright yet a full sound, a lot of projection and I think they still look good. I actually prefer the look of them for a cutaway. Classic. If you want a sound sample, let me know. I will be in my shop today doing a video for a friend and would be happy to take it down for you and strum a little something since i will be up to my eyeballs in vids anyway! I do not have the Koa, but I am not a big laminate fan if you can have solid :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Thanks Mim for the offer on the sounds sample. I've heard a couple samples on youtube. It sounds like the S-TEQ is the way to go.

Thanks again!

My Lanikai laminate is my "beater" uke . . . goes everywhere, and if it doesn't come back I won't spend weeks in a fetal position over it. It definitely doesn't have the beautiful, full sound of the solid tops. BUT, if you're into a sort of traditional sound (like what most people think of when you first say "ukulele") these little models deliver. I love it for strumming, chunking, and making people understand uke fun. BUT, if you can only get one, I'm a huge fan of solid tops.

I ordered the S-TEQ today. Thanks again everyone for your good feedback!

mwm,
I just got a Lanikai S-TEQ yesterday and I am very pleased. Any opinions now that you've had it awhile?

Ed

Lanikai NK-T
Lanikai S-TEQ

Top Bottom