Picks

just got my uke and want to know are picks frowned upon or is it alright to use them??

Uke players are pretty laid back about how or what you want to play. I started w/wanting to use a pick & bought a few really thin Dunlops & some rubber "Wedgie" picks. Then after awhile I got used to using my index finger for most strumming & dropped the picks. Do what works for you & doesn't keep you from enjoying the uke!

Mahalo

You may come across a few uke players who look down on you for using a pick. If you ever come across anyone like that, tell them to mind their own business.

The real issues are that a pick will make it sound different and it will restrict your playing. If you want to sound like the majority of players and aspire to be a James Hill or a Jake, you need to use your fingers. Fingers are much more versatile than a pick and you have four of them to use. I use the thumb and the first three.

Recently, I had to use a pick in order to be able to play with others (broken finger nails). I often play guitar with a pick and I didn't find it difficult, but it did restrict my playing a lot.

As has been said, it depends on what sound you want.
One number that I do is my own spoof version of 'Put the Light on' and this sounds best with a hard, heavy metal timbre, especially plugged into the overdrive slot, so I use a very thin plastic guitar pick.
Something like 'Putting on the agony' benefits from some alternated thumb & fan-strokes so I don't use a pick for that one.

I've always played uke with fingers, but hate long nails so I get a really soft mellow tone... so I've just bought a set of Fred Kelly finger picks instead, my ukes are now much louder and clearer in tone, though I have found restrictions with them such as no finger tapping. Don't just expect to be able to use them, its like learning a new technique and will take a bit of time and patience.

Give them a thought though as another option.

All the above comments are bang on - it is up to you.

Fingers are more versatile, and certainly more traditional, but it's your uke

All I would say is, if using a pick, go easy with it - ukes dont have pick guards, and those nylon strings wont stand up to metal strumming in the same why as steel strings will.

Currently I'm using a fred kelly slick pick (thumb pick) and bare fingers. Although on some songs it's just the bare thumb and fingers. I've only been playing 6 months so i'm still finding my way around the uke.
Oh I almost forgot, there is one song that I use a flat pick (plectrum) on.

Top Bottom