Ohana SK-15 or Makala Dolphin

savagehenry

Reaction score
Which one would you choose and why.

Dolphin is less expensive, about half but may sound a tad better because it has less bracing in it, less finish and less thickness on the top. The sk-15 looks nicer. The paint chips off on the dolphins. The sk-15 likely will come set up without anyone having to do anything and the dolphin setup would probably be good enough but you could tweak it to make it better. You can get a dolphin delivered from sam ash for 32 bucks. so there is not much risk, but you have to buy strings for the dolphin as it comes with cheap ones and the sk-15 comes with aquilas on it I expect.

oh the ohana looks a lot nicer than the dolphin too lol

The Ohana sk-15 has a really pretty finish, with woodgrain showing through the color and a nice glossy finish. Very nice! Much more sophisticated looking, and higher quality control standard at that price, so it depends on your style. Dolphin paint is easily chipped, so it can be frustrating if it comes with a chip on it new. Choose the one that appeals to you most.
I have the Dolphins because they are less expensive (and needed a few to use at demos), but I was very tempted by a green or blue sk-15 when I saw them.
–Lori

I played some of those Ohanas at my local music store. I just wish they sounded as good as they looked.

Bang for buck ( I own one, and have played both) its the Dolphin. The Ohana looks better, but its sound is not better by the equivalent hike in price.

I have tried both and prefer the Dolphin. I restrung my Ohana with nylon strings to produce a softer sound.
The Dolphin has my vote.

Last edited:
I had a dolphin for my first uke, and I loved it I sold it on to a friend when I had to move to Bangkok but i never regreted buying it. besides, the thing is tough, the paint may chip a tad but the body could probably survive a nuke. I'm considering getting another one as my camping uke. oh and before someone mentioned it, get it restrung with Aquila strings, the default string that they come with are good enough, but Aquila's really make it shine. oh, mine was Black btw.

Top Bottom