Unfinished ukuleles?

ukeboypat

Reaction score
I love to paint and would love to paint a unfinished ukulele unfortunatly I not much of a carpenter and would end up botching a project like this lol

anyway i dont have anymoney to buy anything at the moment just wanted to put the idea out there

Last edited:
I love to paint and would love to paint a unfinished ukulele unfortunatly I not much of a carpenter and would end up botching a project like this lol

anyway i dont have anymoney to buy anything at the moment just wanted to put the idea out there
I agree with Sofana's comments regarding DIY kits. At least one, possibly both, those kits include the must-have trifecta of (1) well written instructions, (2) plier-type clamps and pressure bands, and (3) either already-placed or clearly indicated placement of the bridge. You can do it, and when you're finished, the result will be highly satisfying. You can find kits online at prices as low as US $29.00 but as always, you'll get what you pay for.
I do not recommend that you paint yours as garishly as I did (see my avatar).
You should repurpose the kit strings to hang pictures or for some other non-musical purpose and instead install name-brand strings labeled as fluorocarbon or Nylgut and buy a 2nd set to have on hand.
Last of all, and weeks after the strings have stopped stretching, you'll need to do a bit of setup consisting of sanding/ filing to get the string action just right. There is lots of good guidance here in UU on that subject. I recently accomplished the necessary nut deepening & adjustment with a US $5.00 set of needle files which you can find at any home improvement store. They're much pricier online or at craft stores but for the purpose of setting up one single DIY uke, I'm not sure why you'd spend more.
Cheers!

I agree with Sofana's comments regarding DIY kits. At least one, possibly both, those kits include the must-have trifecta of (1) well written instructions, (2) plier-type clamps and pressure bands, and (3) either already-placed or clearly indicated placement of the bridge. You can do it, and when you're finished, the result will be highly satisfying. You can find kits online at prices as low as US $29.00 but as always, you'll get what you pay for.
I do not recommend that you paint yours as garishly as I did (see my avatar).
You should repurpose the kit strings to hang pictures or for some other non-musical purpose and instead install name-brand strings labeled as fluorocarbon or Nylgut and buy a 2nd set to have on hand.
Last of all, and weeks after the strings have stopped stretching, you'll need to do a bit of setup consisting of sanding/ filing to get the string action just right. There is lots of good guidance here in UU on that subject. I recently accomplished the necessary nut deepening & adjustment with a US $5.00 set of needle files which you can find at any home improvement store. They're much pricier online or at craft stores but for the purpose of setting up one single DIY uke, I'm not sure why you'd spend more.
Cheers!
After 14 1/2 years since he posted this I wonder if he's found a uke to paint

Paul - Ugh! That's the 2nd time I've overlooked the posting date when responding to something. Never again!
Forgive me if i don't hold my breath haha these things happen.
I am curious how you found the post though, obviously it didn't show up in recent posts

Forgive me if i don't hold my breath haha these things happen.
I am curious how you found the post though, obviously it didn't show up in recent posts
Oddly enough, it did show in recent posts for some reason. Maybe it’s a glitch with my old laptop. I habitually click “new posts” which was the reason I didn’t notice the posting date. Also, in certain UU forums, I’m seeing the newest posts on the highest “page” number and in others, it’s the opposite.

Oddly enough, it did show in recent posts for some reason. Maybe it’s a glitch with my old laptop. I habitually click “new posts” which was the reason I didn’t notice the posting date. Also, in certain UU forums, I’m seeing the newest posts on the highest “page” number and in others, it’s the opposite.
I'm beginning to think it could be a site issue, in the last 2 days i've seen 3 or 4 ancient posts being commented on by people not realising how old the post was

People are always wanting to paint ukuleles. They are going to look for threads about painting ukuleles. There is nothing wrong with just adding a bona fide post to an existing thread, even if it was started in 2008.

Maybe checking the date can inform what is written in a new post, but the date is irrelevant for some of these cyclic ukulele owner activities. People are buying their first ever ukulele every day, they have all the fun of discovering the ukulele world.

You can adjust the sort settings to see the oldest or the newest first. Or maybe the sort parameter is all the posts before or all the posts after. This may be a reason why you keep seeing the oldest posts first. So it could be a site issue, but it is an issue that each member can control into their own feed.

If you want to paint a ukulele, continue with the thread and ignore the naysayers. There will be others who are too shy to post who have the same idea as you have.

Note that I am not an admin or moderator, I am an ordinary member like everyone else and this is just my opinion on this issue.
Bill1- Thanks for the validation. IMHO, if the thread addresses a noob question I may have, the posting date will never make a difference to me. And, for the record, I’ve never regretted painting my uke, but will go slightly less garish if I paint another one.

I'm beginning to think it could be a site issue, in the last 2 days i've seen 3 or 4 ancient posts being commented on by people not realising how old the post was
Me too, and I’ve embarrassed myself by replying to one or two and unwittingly reviving old threads. I wish the “new posts” buttons brought up threads that were automatically “jumped to new.”

Me too, and I’ve embarrassed myself by replying to one or two and unwittingly reviving old threads. I wish the “new posts” buttons brought up threads that were automatically “jumped to new.”
Patty, I did notice you did this the other day , but I saved you from further embarrassment by not naming and shaming you here, and then you turn up and 'fess up! oh well it was the thought that counted. haha

Oddest part is, as Ernie pointed out, the OP is still listed as "new member". . . Worse yet, now I've caused the stinking post to continue to show up in "new". Live & learn, I suppose.

I made a Christmas uke and a Halloween uke using cheap kits from Amazon. If display is more important than play, that's a good way to go. I'm not much of a painter, so I printed pictures on sticky vinyl and put them on the ukes. I tried painting a winter scene on a Fluke, but I didn't get too far.

Christmas  (3).jpg

Christmas  (6).jpg

01.jpg

03.jpg

Top Bottom