Tenor Strings on a Concert?

upskydowncloud

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

When I bought my first ukulele (a Lanikai LU-21C) the guy in the shop advised me to put tenor strings on it. I now have a more expensive curly koa Lanikai which came with what seem to be pretty crappy strings. I was wondering if anyone thought putting the same tenor strings on this one is worthwhile or should I go for a better brand of concert strings? I'm not particularly good so I'm sure it won't make too much of a difference to the sound for me but it's annoying how quickly they go out of tune.

Thanks in advance,

John

strings will always go out of tune realy quicky for about 1 week-a month (in really bad cases) they are just stretching

There are a few people that do this: the increased string tension creates a different sound. I think it’s more percussive. I don’t care for it, but you might. I had Aquila concerts on my Le Domino (who I refer to as Mr. Domino) and it gave him a real bark. I changed them to soprano and he sounds much more melodic. It’s just a preference.
My technique for string stretching is to tune the ukulele in D (so a full step up) before going to bed. It usually only takes a day. Sometimes it takes more, but not that often. I’ve had really great luck with strings stabilizing.

Hey thanks for the info guys, there's obviously an art to this sort of thing. I'll stick with my current strings and when I've got some money get some Aquila ones. I've got my old uke with the tenor strings on so can use that when I get want the different sound.

I also do "jazz tuning" to just stretch the strings a tiny bit. It's not overstretching because the strings should be capable of that tuning anyway.

Top Bottom