PDA

View Full Version : America's Got Talent?

thejumpingflea
02-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Hey UU gang, I need your help!

I am auditioning for the TV show, "America's Got Talent" in just over a week and I am desperate to get input on what I should play!

What do you think I should try?

austin1
02-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Livin on a Prayer? And IŽll totally vote for you.

Lexxy
02-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Thrrrrrriiiilllller!

freckleduker
02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
WOW! How have I not seen your videos before? You're Hello Frick'n Kitty amazing! I particularly LOVE your Thriller version (and the video is great). But the best is the Bodysurfing video. I vote for that on the America's Got Talent. BLOW EM' AWAY! That totally made my night. Best of luck - show the world that the ukulele is a serious show stopping instrument!

beergeek
02-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Bodysurfing...

HornedOne
02-09-2011, 12:13 AM
+2 on body surfing

raecarter
02-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Living on a prayer! That's the best thing I've ever seen on uke!

Tor
02-09-2011, 12:42 AM
IMO bodysurfing gets old very quickly. If you've heard/seen it twice it becomes pretty boring.

fitncrafty
02-09-2011, 01:04 AM
How about playing a medley of songs that you know the judges will recognize, but also just blow them away will different techniques...

SuzukHammer
02-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Whatever you do, you will do well.

philpot
02-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Livin on a prayer gets my vote. Everybody knows it, and its the best dang cover of it I've ever seen on any instrument. Good luck!! Hey, when you win, I can say I kind of sort of know that guy. In a less-than-personal, saw-his-posts-online kind of thing ;)

Tudorp
02-09-2011, 03:15 AM
As much as I am an advocate on "play what you love", in a case like this, you really need to be sure it is something current, or vintage brought into the current. It needs to be popular, and in the mainstream. (I dont know this), but I think the main target for Americas got talent is probably mid 20's to mid 50's populous, so make sure it is something fun that the populous would fall in love with..

I'll be watching, and hope ya make it on the show. Something like that could cause leaps in the Ukulele acceptance.

Good luck..

Mim
02-09-2011, 03:24 AM
Living on a Prayer definately! Love that one! And when you become famous I can say, "I had dinner with that guy once! I do believe he is scared of me!"

roxhum
02-09-2011, 03:41 AM
I love Livin' on A Prayer but for the audition I vote for Bodysurfing. I agree whatever you do you will do well. Good luck! I can't wait to watch you on TV.

Toucan Mango
02-09-2011, 04:04 AM
Livin' on a prayer is great, but I vote some intense Hawaii 5-0 :D

pwcgecko
02-09-2011, 04:15 AM
Awesome. I would vote for a medley as well to display diversity and complexity. Don't forget to sport your UU t-shirt! :)

sukie
02-09-2011, 07:54 AM
I don't care what you play. I just wish you the very absolute best time ever. Play with your heart. Oh! I so hope you make it.

BadLands Bart
02-09-2011, 07:59 AM
+3 on Bodysurfing, or Thriller or anything you play....you rock!!!!

thejumpingflea
02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't care what you play. I just wish you the very absolute best time ever. Play with your heart. Oh! I so hope you make it.

Thanks Sukie, I really hope so too.

I'm leaning towards some flamenco stuff for the audition. (Sort of a blend of some Bodysurfing ideas, Let's Dance, Malaguena, etc)

If I got on I would play Livin' on a Prayer next. What do you guys think?

sailboats
02-09-2011, 08:15 AM
It's a tough call. On one hand you do not want to use your best material in the auditioning round....on the other hand you want to make sure your audution is good enouigh(shouldnt be a problem for you though!) make make it into the next round.

I agree with ya. lead in with some flamenco stuff. Once you are in you can show off!(even more that is)

pulelehua
02-09-2011, 08:16 AM
I was thinking Let's Dance. Nothing kitsch. Not sure about Livin' on a Prayer. I think something that jumps up and smacks you in the face, and LOAP starts pretty slowly. But the second half is just fantastic, which probably makes it worth it. As many others have said, Matt, you are a fantastic player, and I couldn't wish for a better advocate for our 4-stringed friend than you. Good luck!

kiddfixit
02-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Light your uke on fire. Nothing grabs attention like something on fire.

Lori
02-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Since it is only a week away, make sure you are really comfortable with what you play. I like the idea of a medley featuring a good range of songs and techniques. That should blow them away. That way you are sure to keep them interested, no matter what their personal taste might be. I might stay away from songs that have been over-exposed lately. If they have been listening to lots of auditions, it is nice to present something different. People seem to respond well to old hits that they haven't thought of in a long time, but with a new arrangement.

I know you'll be great.

–Lori

mm stan
02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Aloha Matt,
Go with your heart...you know what you play best....and your most popular one..Good Luck Man!! I'll vote for you!! MM Stan

70sSanO
02-09-2011, 10:37 AM
You play great and will do very well. Play what you can play in your sleep.

My only suggestion is to fit your best stuff into the time you are given. You don't want to burn up 20 seconds just on an intro.

John

molokinirum
02-09-2011, 12:11 PM
...I'm leaning towards some flamenco stuff for the audition. (Sort of a blend of some Bodysurfing ideas, Let's Dance, Malaguena, etc)

I like this selection, shows what you can do on the uke.

Best of luck Matt....we are all pulling for you!!!!

Ronnie Aloha
02-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I like the medley idea. You've got to have some of that flamenco strumming in there.

OldePhart
02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
IMO bodysurfing gets old very quickly. If you've heard/seen it twice it becomes pretty boring.

I reluctantly have to agree with this. The first couple of times I saw some of these amazing players doing body surfing I was like, "whoa, awesome." Now it's more like, "whoa, awesome...but is that the only song they know?" LOL

John

Coconut Willie
02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
I like the medley idea. You've got to have some of that flamenco strumming in there.

I agree!!! The medley mixed with some flamenco would be awesome!!

Good Luck Matt!!!! You can do it!!!!

Dougf
02-09-2011, 01:51 PM

The flamenco strumming really does have great a "wow" factor. They'll be impressed for sure.

Congratulations on the audition, Matt, and best of luck!

mmorris1333
02-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Living on a Prayer. That was unbelievable. Plus most of America (and the judges) haven't seen someone JAM on a uke before, so whatever you play will be downright mindblowing for them :)

best of luck!

Waterguy
02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I love watching this show with my family. It's one of the few that we can all agree on....comes from having four kids. Anyway

First audition - you are playing to the judges. Something like you did for the Bosko and Honey "join the safari" contest would be perfect I think. I'm pretty sure you have limited time and you need a bit of WOW factor but don't give them your best. My guess is that gets you on to the next round.

The judges expect you to give them bigger and better with each and every performance so keep that in mind with your song choices. The other thing to keep in mind is that you also need to please middle America. Give them a song everyone know's in a uke only arrangement that works and you may well blow the minds of millions of viewers ;)

Keep your show stopper, your absolute best for the last competitive episode...assuming you make it. But do not perform anything you have not polished down to something you could play asleep and sound amazing.

OK, I've put in my 2 cents. I have to say, since this show has first aired, I have been hoping that one of the people that can really make the instrument sing would step up and show what it is capable of. I cannot wait to see your audition because I know you will blow the judges away and open the eye's of lots of people.

70sSanO
02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I know you do a great job playing Going to California.

With Sharon Osbourne as one of the judges, what can be better than Zep on a uke?

John

sukie
02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I love watching this show with my family. It's one of the few that we can all agree on....comes from having four kids. Anyway

First audition - you are playing to the judges. Something like you did for the Bosko and Honey "join the safari" contest would be perfect I think. I'm pretty sure you have limited time and you need a bit of WOW factor but don't give them your best. My guess is that gets you on to the next round.

The judges expect you to give them bigger and better with each and every performance so keep that in mind with your song choices. The other thing to keep in mind is that you also need to please middle America. Give them a song everyone know's in a uke only arrangement that works and you may well blow the minds of millions of viewers ;)

Keep your show stopper, your absolute best for the last competitive episode...assuming you make it. But do not perform anything you have not polished down to something you could play asleep and sound amazing.

OK, I've put in my 2 cents. I have to say, since this show has first aired, I have been hoping that one of the people that can really make the instrument sing would step up and show what it is capable of. I cannot wait to see your audition because I know you will blow the judges away and open the eye's of lots of people.

I think this is excellent advice and really good observation. Aren't they still looking for someone who can fill a Vegas theater for shows? Matt can do that.

Ukuleleblues
02-09-2011, 04:13 PM
How about playing a medley of songs that you know the judges will recognize, but also just blow them away will different techniques...Just remember they are looking for your singing talent, not your uke playing skills. Play something that hightlights your vocal talents. Make the uke complement/support your vocal skils. good luck!!!!!

NatalieS
02-09-2011, 04:28 PM
I vote for diving right into the chorus of "Livin' on a Prayer". But whatever you choose will sound amazing!

bbycrts
02-09-2011, 07:07 PM

I'm leaning towards some flamenco stuff for the audition. (Sort of a blend of some Bodysurfing ideas, Let's Dance, Malaguena, etc)

Your flamenco stuff rocks, and you're especially fun to watch when you play it.

austin1
02-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Light your uke on fire. Nothing grabs attention like something on fire.

Yes. Seconded.

Hippie Dribble
02-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Can't offer any song choice advice Matt, just want to wish you truckloads of blessings and hope you get through mate. I agree with Stan: go with your instincts. You're amazing and an inspiration to all of us. :)

joeybug
02-10-2011, 02:35 AM
Can't offer any song choice advice Matt, just want to wish you truckloads of blessings and hope you get through mate. I agree with Stan: go with your instincts. You're amazing and an inspiration to all of us. :)

:agree: I'm blown away by the magnitude of your talent...Good Luck!

beergeek
02-10-2011, 03:13 AM

Sounds like a winner to me!

Blue Roses Falling is a favorite of mine too.....

rem50
02-10-2011, 03:28 AM
from what I have seen of that show your time is limited so what ever it is you have to jump on in pretty quick.