PDA

View Full Version : To scarf or not to scarf?

Ken W
02-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Just now starting my next build and I'm curious about various viewpoints on neck construction. Specifically, do you scarf-joint the peg head or build the neck from a solid block? I have always scarfed because it seems that less wood is wasted and I don't have to buy or glue up the larger block. What do you do and why?

thistle3585
02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I use both methods. I charge more for a single piece neck than I do for one with a scarf or wings. For spec instruments, I use whatever I have lying around and try not to waste wood just because it isn't the perfect piece. Custom instruments typically get the best pieces. I don't see scarfed necks as being inferior but having less intrinsic value.

Philstix
02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
The scarfed peghead is actually a lot stronger. As someone who repairs guitars I have never had to repair a scarfed peghead while one piece pegheads which have broken off are among the most common repairs I do. That said, the difference in tension on a guitar peghead and a ukulele peghead is so great that I don't believe it should really be a consideration in building a uke. I also make necks both ways.

Liam Ryan
02-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I scarf. It uses less timber, which leaves me more for the next one. Haven't tried one piece necks. Might try it. I'm led to believe scarf jointed necks are stronger although as I said, I haven't tried one piece.

ksquine
02-10-2011, 07:39 AM
I scarf. It uses less timber, which leaves me more for the next one. Haven't tried one piece necks. Might try it. I'm led to believe scarf jointed necks are stronger although as I said, I haven't tried one piece.

Ditto. I scarf and use wings for the headstock, cut off bits for the heel. Waste not, want not.