I've badmouthed UPS more than once...

OldePhart

Reaction score
...but I have to admit that I'm impressed, this time. The package is a little battered but it did get here on time, even after they'd sent me a "rescheduled due to inclement weather" e-mail. I'm not too worried about the battering - MGM packed it and he doesn't stint on the packing.

I kind of felt sorry for the guy doing the deliveries. I'd gone to the store to pick up my medication so when he came and knocked my daughter thought it was just me out on the porch stomping the snow and ice off my shoes. She finally answered the door. It's COLD out there - and we po' folks down here ain't used to it! She said he sprinted for the truck after she signed.

Now, if the temperatures would just equalize so I can open it!

John

Anticipa-a-tion... Hey, if I have to wait I can at least derive a little pleasure from making y'all wait, too!

John

A clue...

The case is still too cold - anybody wanna guess what's inside... :)

John

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 13
Schweeeeeet

I know,:drool: and the freakin' suspense is killing:wallbash: me!

Pictures and sound sample/in-depth review ASAP:music: por favor!

Oh yeah, congratulations :cheers:

Hmm. Kiwaya or Koaloha.

Ding, ding, ding. Give the man a Spam sandwich! :)

ksl-2.jpg

I'll do a thorough review, pics, and sound samples after I have a couple of weeks with her.

First impressions:

1) Great setup as usual from MGM.
2) Don't care for the black fluorocarbon strings on it - I will wait until they've stretched in a little tomorrow but if my opinion doesn't change by then I'll put my own recipe of Seaguar leaders on.
3) They aren't kidding when they call it "super thin laminated wood" - I had to get the magnifiers out to tell that the top was laminated, at all. It looks like one thin veneer over a single thicker substrate.
4) Workmanship looks good though I haven't put it under the microscope, yet.
5) Good tone and volume, which I think will be better after a string change. I don't have a soprano with a solid top to compare against so I won't make unfair comparisons. But, even with these strings, the volume and tone are better than I expected from it. I'm definitely happy on that count.
6) The compensated bridge helps tweflth fret intonation some - it's better than even my KoAloha before I carved on that bridge - but the bridge is just not thick enough to compensate perfectly. Of course, most acoustic guitars aren't compensated perfectly, either. Just getting close is an improvement.

John

Oh, and 7) "Made in Japan" - I half expected that Kiwaya would be farming their "eco" line out to Indonesia or China but not so, at least not yet.

John

Congratulations on the new ukulele, and thanks for posting your impressions (as long as you don't do an impression of Tiny Tim!).

Aloha John,
Congratulations on your new kiwaya....it looks awesome...you teaser....have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Oh man, I was ready to not like you anymore if you'd gotten that concert sceptre he had! ;)

Heh, heh. No worries on that score. Call me wierd but I just don't care for the look of the sceptre - not crazy about pinapples, either, and that really expensive jukebox thing does absolutely nothing for me. Guess I'm just a heavy traditionalist. LOL

John

Congratulations on the new ukulele, and thanks for posting your impressions (as long as you don't do an impression of Tiny Tim!).

Heh, not likely. First, I'm too short and...portly...to pull that off visually and secondly, I never could stand the guy. I remember seeing him on "Laugh In" back in the 60's and thinking that he made the Laugh In cast and their usual guests look pretty normal, in comparison...even the painted dancers!

John

Top Bottom