PDA

View Full Version : I am LIVID right now..

Tudorp
02-09-2011, 02:16 PM
I am mad enough to eat nails, but not sure if it is at my daughter, or at who knows who. My daughter just got home from basketball. She took her Les Paul to school this morning to show her music teacher. After her game, she got it, and had it by her locker. Left the locker room for a minute to tell her coach something. Came back and that quick her Les Paul was gone..

1st, your dont EVER let a Les Paul out of your sight.
2nd, well there aint no 2nd.. She was stupid to leave it even for a minute.

Im not sure if I am more disapointed in her for being that dumb (which she is not), or disapointed in whoever. We are in a small town, and it is a very friendly safe town. In fact, most kids don't even lock their bikes up at the bike rack around here.. It's as close to Mayberry as you can get... But, there are always sour grapes in the bowl where ever you are, and leaving something like that without eyes on it, is like dangling a crawdad in front of a large mouth bass.

I got to chill out, I had to vent, or choke someone.. Safer to vent..

telebob
02-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Ouch... that's a mighty sad story... I truly hope your daughter gets her Les Paul guitar back... hopefully someone will rat out the thief....

Be sure to check craigslist, ebay and other local selling sites to see if it becomes listed. In the meantime, report the loss to the police (ya got the serial number on file? and a pic?). I don't think your homeowner insurance policy will cover the loss... since the item was not at home.

Prayers, good vibes and best wishes for the guitar's recovery...

mm stan
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Aloha Tudorp,
If it's a small town, it has to come up to surface some time soon..did she remember who was in the locker room before and afterwards....sad thing tho, it was another girl.....
I can't remember when I was in school if there were ever girl guitar players in our school then...probally not...maybe just an opportunist...I'd give the pawn shops a call for a heads up..
heat up the area with stolen guitar posted notices around town.....make sure that person may never use or sell it there.........Good Luck Buddy, MM Stan

Tudorp
02-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Oh it's already heating up. That guitar has to be thrown in lake Michigan to not be dug up. Like ya said, this is a small town, and whoever has it can't show it to anyone in a 40 mile radious. All the small towns around here are very tight nit communities, and Casey being in all the sports programs is very well known around all these little towns, AND well loved by many, from all the schools and towns. And they all know her talent and her guitar. Word has spread in less than an hour that her Les Paul was stolen out of the locker room, and the whole area is on the case now. Whoever took it probabaly already got word, and poopin on themselves right now. My worries are if they get scared, that they might destroy it, just to keep it covered up. So, we'll see if it turns up. Words out on the streets as we speak..

Dougf
02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Bummer man, hope it turns up.

Reminded me of a story, maybe it will cheer you up a bit. Back in college, a friend had his Les Paul ripped off. Amazingly, the cops returned it a few days later. Turned out the thief called a pawn shop and asked he he wanted to buy a "Lay Paul" guitar, that's "Les" pronounced with a French accent, as in "Les Miserables". The pawn shop owner said, "sure bring it in". He showed up and was met by the cops.

That was back before craigslist, but if there are any pawn shops in town, you might want to give them a heads up, as well.

Tudorp
02-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Just got a call from a parent. I know who it was, but promised not to devulge it. The kid brought the guitar home and told her Mom it was her boyfriend's guitar, and he asked her to hold onto it and sell it for him.

Get this.. The Mom already knew of Casey's guitar theft before her daughter came home. She called me and told me her daughter brought it home with her, and described it "It has a "Les Paul" signiture on the thingy where the screw thingies are. Does that mean anything?" lol. Well YUH.. hahahh.. She was worried about the fall out from this in the small community, and was PISSED at her daughter, and promised to "handle it" if I kept her ID quiet, and called off the dogs. I promised it would be anonymous as soon as I get the guitar back. The guitar is on it's way home as we speak. I asked the parent to be sure to keep this girl as far from Casey as she ever could. This girl has always hated my daughter (jealosy thing) and has always given my daughter a hard time. I requested that the girl never speaks to Casey again, and stay away from her, and not to cause any issues in the future with her, and all will be forgotten, forgiven and unspoken.. So good did come out of this..

Wow.. Gotta love small communities.. And all in less than two hours..

telebob
02-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Wow! Amazing grace and rapid resolution.

Glad to hear things worked out.

70sSanO
02-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Sounds like it is going to work out well.

Good thing you live in a small town. I live in Southern California and it would have already been sold three times and my identity would have been stolen too.

John

Tudorp
02-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Wow! Amazing grace and rapid resolution.

Glad to hear things worked out.

yeah really. that wasn't even enough time to brew up an epic "Mad on". What a two hour emotional rollercoaster.. lol

BTW: The daughter was crying her eyes out, now jumping around in glee like it was Christmas morning again.. Bet she never lets it out of her sight again..

steelie211
02-09-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm so glad your daughter got her Les Paul back.

experimentjon
02-09-2011, 02:55 PM
That was fast! Glad the LP is coming home. :)

Tudorp
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Just got it. The Mom was very nice and very appologetic. Said she will definatley deal with her daughter, and told my daughter she is such an awesome person for being able to forgive and keep her daughter's name quiet about it. We told her we didn't want to ruin anyone in such a small community, but this was mostly so disapointing because we have always prided this small town for it's "mayberryish" life style, and that is somewhat tarnished now. If anything, if it keeps the girl from giving my daughter grief anymore, it was worth it. Her Mother is a good woman, I hope she grows up listening to her and turns out as well.

fitncrafty
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Wow.. Just catching up here.. Holy cow!! Glad that it is all resolved, but man.. all I can say is KARMA!

NatalieS
02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm glad the guitar is safe and sound at home. I hope that chick learned her lesson, and hope she's getting hell from her mom right now! I'm sure your daughter is very happy to have the Les Paul back. How sad that we can't trust many people nowadays.

pithaya9
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I love happy endings!

:smileybounce:

GreatGazukes
02-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Glad to hear all has been resolved. Kids go through some "intersting" learning curves, unfortunately this one was through your yard!

itsme
02-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Oh, man, that sucks, especially that it was stolen by someone she knows. Glad to hear she's got it back now. Kudos to the thief's mom for doing the right thing. If it were my daughter, she'd be grounded until she turns 18. I guess I wouldn't be as forgiving as you.

Years ago I worked at a major record company. Our Christmas bonus every year was a canned ham. Now, I don't eat red meat, but it was take the ham or get nothing. So I always took the ham and donated it to a homeless shelter. It just so happened that on "ham distribution day" there was a going away party for someone in one of the studios and I stopped by to pay my respects on the way out.

I sat the ham down on a table not 2' away, turned my back for less than 30 seconds to talk to someone, and when I turned around, my ham was gone! The thing was, I knew every single person in that room. Talk about putting a damper on your Christmas spirit. :mad:

But the word got out, and the next day several people called me to offer their hams to give to the shelter. You can't imagine how ecstatic the shelter people were when two of us showed up to deliver not one - but four! - hams. :)

ukunuke
02-09-2011, 04:47 PM
and this is why we're called "parents"!

Glad it was resolved quickly . A good lesson for your little girl, and undoubtedly for the perp!

Parents rock!

bueller
02-09-2011, 05:15 PM
This is an amazing story. I am so glad it worked out for the best!

Dane
02-09-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm glad your story turned out well, you had just gotten it for her for christmas hadn't you?

I don't think a thing like that tarnishes your towns good rep, if anything it shows how good your town is, you got it back

Also, kids do stupid things, and kids steal stuff. Heck I stole stuff, not proud of it. I didn't steal a Les Paul though haha. My biggest crime was that I stole a whoopie-cushion from a local market once, I then broke it within the hour, but tipped the counter guy my "snack money" the next week to make up for it =)

Chris Tarman
02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
As others have said, I'm glad it turned up and worked out well for everyone. I would NOT want to be that girl! It's a good thing it is a small town, or you might not have ever gotten it back. Reputation POLISHED, not tarnished!

mm stan
02-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Aloha Tudorp,
Glad to hear the good news and the mother who did the right thing. It may have well thought the two girls something and well as her parents..your immediate response would make Andy and Barney proud....he he
I believe the girl may had stolen it out of jealousy and not for the money....I hope she straightens out her life or her parents do, before this type of bad behavior progresses...yeah it was a hell of a two hour ride
for you!!! Glad it is resolved....MM Stan

SuzukHammer
02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Haven't we all stole something when we were young?

My niece still cringes because she stole money from grampa.

My wife's daughter stole from grampa. We talked about it. ONce I admitted I had made the same mistake when I was younger, the girl kinda felt better. Being human means we have certain bad parts innately in us.

I'm happy for you and your daughter and I hope the other girl gets to better understand why its not right. And gets to carry on with her life with a lesson learned and not an indictment over her head.

Leodhas
02-10-2011, 01:14 AM
It's good the guitar was returned but it's a tough one, because young folks don't do things like that (swipe guitars or any other thing of value) unless they are deeply unhappy or troubled (being on the bread line could be another cause but I get the feeling the kids maw is a decent woman who'd get food on the table). It's not like we're taking about a candy bar or a few coins from your maws purse( both lesser crimes I committed as a kid).

I think the worst thing the young lassies mother could do is berate her daughter as that simply doesn't work with young folks. The mother needs to sit down and have a good chat with the lassie and get to the bottom of why. There is always more to it than simply theft at that age, especially with lassies. I'd maybe ask your own daughter the background of why the two lassies don't get on.

Jayzus, I'm dreading having kids.

Tudorp
02-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Thanks again people. Im glad it all worked out. And Stan, I agree with you. I really do think the girl took it out of jealousy myself.

And yes the girls do have long history. This girl and my daughter have lived here their entire school life from kindergarden. They were friends as most the kids around here are/were when they were younger. My daughter is not a perfect kid (there is no such animal) and she has her teenaged girl attitude sometimes, but that said, she is an awesome kid. Very caring of others, and very loyal to her family and friends. Casey has always been into the sports thing since she was 5 years old, and quite the little athlete. She also has sang with crazy talent since she was able to talk, and always getting asked to sing at school, and other functions for as long as she has a memory. This girl kind of took the other path. She's not a "bad" kid, but does have the makings. She has some learning disabilities which may contribute to self image issues. But she is also in most the sports too, but always seems to be in trouble with the coaches due to lack of caring and effort. A few years ago, she started being very mean to Casey and trying to tarnish her reputation around here to no avail (it has always been common knowlege that the girl is also a trouble maker, and a chronic liar). She tells teachers that Casey did, or said something that she hadn't. The people that know Casey knows that Casey doesn't talk or do the sorts of things this girl tries to claim she did. That sort of thing. It makes me sad, more than mad though, because the girl can overcome her issues and lead a normal life if she choose to. My middle son also has learning disabilities, and took some rough paths due to self image issues, but we stayed positive with him and addressed his issues growing up head on with compassion and got him grown up and leading a good, honest life as a man. I hope this happens as well for the girl, which I think it might because her parents do seem to be good people and trying. I knew them of course, but not very well. They showed allot of charicter last night. I pray for the girl and her family that she gets her head on straight.

I stole one thing in my life. But it was out of greed and not spite. When I was about 9, I used to stop by a little mom & pop store on the way home from school almost every day. It was a popular store for kids because it was near the school, and had candy, slushes, and things like that the kids used to treat themselves with after school. They had the usual small trinkets and things at the counter. They had a cardboard display with little pocket magnifiying glasses on it. They were cool, and all I thought about were the ants and bugs I could set on fire with those, hahhah.. I wanted one bad, and looked at them every day. One day, I picked up one, but sneakingly palmed a 2nd one at the same time. It was the perfect crime, and genious. I put the one back as I did every day, but keeping the palmed one hidden in my hand and walked out. I was shaking in my boots, and ran home. I pulled it out in my bedroom and guilt was all over me I shook. I put it back in my pocket only to not being able to pull it out to play with it, or show it to people, because of the shame and guilt. I was ashamed enough I could not enjoy it, or even show it to friends. It was my dirty little secret and I was miserable for a couple days until I decided I could not live like this, on the lamb, peeking over my shoulder. A couple days later, I palmed my loot and reached up to get another to look at, looked at it, and put it back, secretly slipping the other one out of my palm and back into it's slot on the cardboard display. So, I was able to sneak it back where it belonged, and even though I still felt ashamed, I knew at least I did the right thing. hahha.. I never stole anything else from that day forward. The guilt just wasn't worth it to me..

Plainsong
02-10-2011, 02:32 AM
I think if we really think hard about it, we can remember some person prone to trying to drop drama bombs about us, and it falling flat because it was just too silly to even be considered as true. Lots of stuff easily gets on our drama radars at that age, but some stuff is just overreaching a bit. It's especially dumb when the instigator involves teachers. Protip: Adults know better. I remember a few of those types and I just felt bad for them. I remember even trying it myself as a preteen, and feeling so bad about it that it still makes me cringe.

Even if the mom keeps her mouth shut, the girl will give herself away. People can do simple math. This probably won't go away, for her anyway.

I'm so glad your daughter got her LP back. I was in a community theater play and one of my costume changes called for lots of bling. We didn't have much in the way of bling props, so I one of the necklaces I grabbed was a very gothic 24k crucifix that my Grandpa gave me before moving here. I'm not religious, but he's a priest, and picked this out for me and blessed it. So it means the world to me even if I can't wear it.

And like an idiot, I took that necklace as a prop! It was a small cast, everyone knows everyone else, and I don't leave my stuff there. It goes home with me, only a few performances.

And still, between the time of being on stage, and getting back to the dressing room, it was gone after the next costume change. The cast was mostly pretty religious. Religious enough to love the design of that cross, but not too religious to not take it.

Grandpa would probably say that someone obviously needs it.

Edit: Sometimes people say that I'm wrong about Grandpa, he couldn't have been a priest. Just to cover that bit, he went to the Seminary after Grandma passed away. He took his vows was was ordained sometime after that. The running joke was the 20 or so First Masses we had to attend at all the various churches in the diocese. There were articles about him in the paper and he met the pope a few times. He was still celebrating masses well after his official retirement, and up until the point when his cancer came back for the final time.

Bill Mc
02-10-2011, 05:58 AM
I'm happy for you and your daughter the guitar was returned. Years ago - like 35or so - I taught at a private school and rode my Raleigh Grand Prix to work and stored it in the basement of the school building. We had a field trip one day and that afternoon when I went to get my bike it was gone ! An inside job and I never found out who stole it despite my best attempts to discover the thief. That kind of stuff sticks with you forever.

Nickie
02-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Congrats on getting the guitar back. I bet Casey won't ever let it out of her sight again. And congrats for not getting even.
We live in a large metro area, and somebody stole my daughter's new bike. We never saw it again, even though we looked for it.
I remember stealing a pack of gum from our farm community's grocery store when I was a kid. I felt pretty bad about it, so I took it back in and gave it to the owner. I must have been silly stupid, I confessed. He told me he was glad I changed my tune,but if it ever happened again, no more store privileges for me. I know he watched me close after that... last time I ever stole anything.
If that little guitar thief were my daughter, I'd ground her for 3 months!

sailboats
02-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I had a terrible theft experience before. (in a small town too)

My father owns the bowling alley in my home town and my band used to practice there after it closed just about ever night. It was great we could play as loud as we wanted all night.

Anyway a guy broke in one night stole 2 drumkits, a amp, bunch of guitar pedals, laptop and a bunch of other musical gear. He got caught and handed back the amp and said that was all he had.

Being a small town word traveled fast he stole from me. His aunt came into my old work and said "I am house sitting their place for the weekend, The drumkit is still there...i dont know what else is yours just come by on friday and grab what is yours"

When I did I saw my guitar neck sticking out of his closet. I was so relieved until i opened the closet and saw it was in pieces. I only got back one drumkit, which still made me happy as it wasnt even mine.

The guy never appeared in court and felt the Provence. I wont even get into how 'helpful' the police were in the matter. (don't get me wrong I like police just not the individual I had to deal with.)

I am glad she got it back!
I could never imagine stealing anyone's instruments. Music plays such a big part of my life

Plainsong
02-10-2011, 09:25 AM
So he took your guitar just to destroy it? People, I don't understand them.

I better close the macbook for a while, this is just grinding my gears!

It's a shame Tudorp's daughter had to find out that some people just suck, but it's one of those lessons you have to get sooner or later. In her defense, leaving it by her locker in a gym after school when everyone knows everyone who's going in there, it's a reasonable amount of safety. It's like being in the band room after school where only band members are allowed, and being scared someone will steal your instrument.

Then again, if Drama Girl or any of her kind was around, no way. ;)

Tudorp
02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
yeah.. As far as Casey. It's a tough one, because I wouldn't want to change anything about her. But, her downfall is always her trust in people. My daughter is VERY much the optimist, and always sees, and wants to see the good in anybody. That is an awesome trait in her, but at the same time, if not prepared, can be a fault too. This gal has hurt her several times over the years, and it seems just a day or two later, the girl comes to Casey wanting to be her friend, so Casey forgives her and takes her in again. That has not really been the case over the past couple years, because Casey has learned after being betrayed by this girl for years that she needs a defensive wall in regards to this girl. But, I know just the thought of closing anyone out tears her up. Casey forgives this girl for taking her Les Paul, but I do think she will never put any trust in her again at all. This was the straw that broke the camels back sort of speak. But again, I can tell it bothers Casey more that she has to be that way with her, than her own loss of the guitar if she was to loose it. That's just my daughter, and I am proud of her and scared for her at the same time with that trait in her. But, the good thing is, she is loved around here, and there are TONS of kids, and parents that has her best interests at heart, and has her back. She has never even known what an enemy was until the past year or so. Hard lesson, and not a great one, but at the same time, will help you be better prepared to protect yourself.

Plainsong
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I think I may have been a bit like that. I had a "best friend" that was just about the opposite. It was like a relationship where one emotionally abuses the other. I couldn't see it. Everyone else could. It wasn't like she was a stereotypical bad seed. It was just she was manipulative and would glom on to something or someone until she got bored, and then moved on to the next big thing. Neither of us had siblings, and we called each other sisters. I meant it. She may have meant it until she got bored. It's a long story, but it ends with me not seeing what everyone else saw, because I didn't want to believe that some people just don't have the same moral compass.

It sounds like Casey is doing the same thing. I totally understand that feeling of feeling worse about loosing the trust and friendship of the girl. You hate to tell someone "Don't buy it, don't believe it, don't chat on the phone with her, don't invite her to go do stuff, be nice to her, but draw a boundary." - but while the girl should have a chance to redeem herself, the most she should get in return is acquaintance status, and the girl should understand she's lucky to not get kicked off the team and expelled from school, and charges pressed against her. She should take that lesson for what it is, and redeem her reputation with herself if with no one else. I hope the coach is made aware of it. She shouldn't be able to letter in basketball in return for stealing from a teammate. At the same time, kicking her off the team would be a bad idea. It would be a further kick in the teeth as far as she's concerned, and an excuse to rationalize getting worse.

yeah.. As far as Casey. It's a tough one, because I wouldn't want to change anything about her. But, her downfall is always her trust in people. My daughter is VERY much the optimist, and always sees, and wants to see the good in anybody. That is an awesome trait in her, but at the same time, if not prepared, can be a fault too. This gal has hurt her several times over the years, and it seems just a day or two later, the girl comes to Casey wanting to be her friend, so Casey forgives her and takes her in again. That has not really been the case over the past couple years, because Casey has learned after being betrayed by this girl for years that she needs a defensive wall in regards to this girl. But, I know just the thought of closing anyone out tears her up. Casey forgives this girl for taking her Les Paul, but I do think she will never put any trust in her again at all. This was the straw that broke the camels back sort of speak. But again, I can tell it bothers Casey more that she has to be that way with her, than her own loss of the guitar if she was to loose it. That's just my daughter, and I am proud of her and scared for her at the same time with that trait in her. But, the good thing is, she is loved around here, and there are TONS of kids, and parents that has her best interests at heart, and has her back. She has never even known what an enemy was until the past year or so. Hard lesson, and not a great one, but at the same time, will help you be better prepared to protect yourself.

molokinirum
02-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow...vey glad all turned out for the better!!!

Howlin Hobbit
02-10-2011, 11:06 AM
A friend of mine named Roger had a music shop here in Seattle called London Music (after his hometown). I was always jealous of this vintage gold-top Les he played. One time we were talking about it and he told me when he was still in London it got stolen from backstage at a gig. He called the police, etc. but was just gutted, figuring he'd never see it again.

The very next day the police called back. Turns out some nice little old lady went out to her back garden that morning and was surprised to find she'd grown a Les--in its case yet--overnight. Nearest anyone could figure, the thief was cutting through the back alley and saw somebody. Thinking he was about to be caught with the goods in his hands, he threw it over the wall into her garden.

Roger said it didn't even knock it out of tune.

Glad to see your situation had a happy ending too.

Plainsong
02-10-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't play guitar, but I wouldn't mind having some of those seeds that grow Les Pauls. :)

rem50
02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Don't tell your daughter who it is either or that would be just like fingering the kid publicly~kids don't usually have much of a lock box. Congrats on the return. That is tough situation. Glad you bit your tongue with your daughter. the guitar is replaceable, she isn't.

Tudorp
02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't play guitar, but I wouldn't mind having some of those seeds that grow Les Pauls. :)

hahah.. tell me about it. it would be much easier to grow one or two than it is restoring an old Gibson LP I am at present.. My daughter is frothing at the mouth to get her hands on that one to play it too.. hahahh.. yeah, like THAT will happen.. <grin>

If ya find a pack of those seeds, put me down for a pack.. ;)

pdxuke
02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Hello Pappy:

The other great thing about this is the life lesson for your daughter--the natural consequences. I will be you the farm that she will never again let that guitar out of her sight.

Pappy

PhilUSAFRet
02-10-2011, 03:28 PM
And don't forget the local pawn shops.