My Mom Isn't Supportive of My UAS...

mmorris1333

Reaction score
... and I don't have a credit card. Haha. I just need to convince my mom that a uke isn't a "conversation piece." She believes that I only want a nice uke (compared to my Lanikai LU-21) because I am obsessive. This is completely true, but she doesn't think that i'll play it. I really need a way to convince her. She sees me play it and such, but she is always a naysayer. I need to win her over somehow because she won't lend me her credit card to buy it.

I want to buy a Mainland Mahogany Tenor. Any reviews?

I WILL pay her back, I didn't expect her to buy it for me... But she simply doesn't want me to buy it. Since her card is the only way that I could buy it, I can't.

Help me out?

Thanks!

Play, play, play, play, play, play, play. Play every moment you're not doing homework or eating or whatever. As a parent who has raised three children and participated in raising 11 grandkids I can tell you that one thing impresses us - and that is the thing that can pull a child away from their favorite TV shows and video games! If you're playing uke thirty minutes a day, and watching TV or playing video games an hour (or more) a day, guess what, your mom is right and it really is just a "conversation piece!"

John

My parents refused to buy me any ukes too other than the two Tangis that we already had. So I ended up just saving and buying one for myself in cash...well actually credit card so I could get points. Eventually, I did get my dad to start playing too, and he's picked up a few ukuleles too. So that may be the secret. Get your mom to start strumming and maybe she'll come around.

You should practice a lot, and learn to play one song really well, to prove how dedicated you are to the activity. If you are feeling creative, write a song that expresses your ideas. Once she sees some results from practicing, maybe she will be more supportive. I don't think you should buy a new one behind her back, but once you save up the money, you could probably get a money order and mail it to Mike at Mainland. They are great on the phone too. I don't have a Mainland tenor, but I do have a concert in mango, and a mahogany soprano. I think you would be happy with it.

Remind her it could be worse... you could be a drummer.

–Lori

My mom is exactly the same way. Sucks huh? I play probably 3-4 hours a day, but her response when I find a good deal on a uke is "you already have one." >.< she totally doesn't get it :p good thing I'm getting a job soon ;)

Is it because you want her to use her credit, not just her card? If so, you say you will pay her back, but that's right up there with "I want a puppy and I promise I'll take care of it" then a few weeks after getting the puppy, mom's the one who has to feed it and clean up after it.

Work odd jobs, save up, do whatever it takes so you can pay for it outright. Then when you have the money, offer it to her to use her card to buy the uke. Show that you were serious about saving up to buy it.

Or you could go buy one of those pre-paid Visa cards or a money order as suggested.

I don't think you should buy a new one behind her back, but once you save up the money, you could probably get a money order and mail it to Mike at Mainland.

+1 for the money order and for not trying to hide the order or the uke. If you're old enough to save your money, figure out how to call in the order, get the money order (hint: post office) and mail the money order to Mike at Mainland, you're old enough to have the uke.

Remind her it could be worse... you could be a drummer.

:biglaugh: Ain't that the truth.

I totally understand you're wanting to have another uke. My little obsession started last spring and I'm up to five. Big difference is that I'm older, have a good paying job, and have a bit of discretionary funds. For you - my best advice mirrors that of others here (I'm also a mom who's purchased countless high dollar items that were used about 5 times):

Now is the time to put your commitment to uke on the line. Go get a job - any job. Ask what you can do around the house to make a couple bucks. Hit up your neighbors for yard work, snow shoveling, whatever. And ask Mom if she'd be willing to believe that you'd pay her back if you first earn 1/2 of the price. Us moms are pretty soft-hearted in helping our kids, but we also need to make sure you don't get sucked into this "buy on credit" culture we have in this country.

Go forth - conquer. You can do it!

Never try to hide the purchase of a uke.... It always turns out bad. I'm sure more than a few people here can confirm that.

Show your dedication, and if you're already dedicated, just make sure they realize it more. You can always slip in a soft "I wish I had a better uke" but don't over-do it.

As for things to tell your mother that might help you out... well I'm a firm believer that with a nicer-sounding uke, comes better inspiration. So it is a very worthwhile investment if your mother enjoys your ukulele playing.

Earn the money yourself. Credit - even from Mom - is a bad habit if you can't back it up immediately. Credit cards should be a convenience, not a substitute for money you don't have. I learned it the hard way - start yourself off right.

Seconding to earn the money yourself, or at least put some effort to it that shows you're really serious. It also doesn't hurt to take the advice of really practicing and kicking the butt of one of her favorite songs. It won't hurt your skills to practice. :)

Also, did she ever play an instrument? Does she notice how the band kids do it? Everyone has a concert instrument and a marching instrument. Just because you have the "beater" marching horn doesn't mean you don't play the nice expensive concert one more! The one helps you appreciate the other. You appreciate that you can take the beater out, and it responds and isn't fussy. That makes you appreciate the complex tone, and feel of the more fussy nice instrument. :)

Earn it yourself. Then get yourself a prepaid Visa card. Problem solved. Might take a little longer before you see your new toy. But the satisfaction of knowing you've gotten it all by yourself is well worth it. And that my friend is priceless..
Happy uking and working to ya.. ;)

Don't buy it if you don't have the money for it

Or you can simply "forget " the Lanikai on the couch and hope that your mother sit on it, inadvertently…

Oh no… Wait… Just don't do that !

just kiddin'

Practice loads and save up as well. Once she sees your determination she might help out. If your more patient and work harder that new uke will be more satisfying.

get a big jar put ' my mainland uke savings' on it. do jobs round the house, for the neighbours, clear out your old crap and sell it on ebay, whatever, but a few bucks in there , let her see you are serious about it. then when she seems impressed enough to mention it ( on no account mention it to her) propose a dollar for dollar deal with you mum, every dollar you save she matches. half price uke!

Hi mmorris1333

I've seen good advises here, but I also add

(a) You cannot neglect school work - one thing parents hate to see is that a kid comes from school, throws a bag away and start playing ukulele (or computer game etc). To look good in your parents eyes, you come home and do all school work diligently, maybe throw in some minutes to help your mom out in house chores, and then at your free time, play play play. Hopefully within the ear shot of your parents so they will know. Even when you have money to pay for a new one, parents may veto if they feel you're not doing your duty.

(b) You can enter a school's talent show, or even go to a local open mic. You can perform there. Nothing pleases parents more than watching their kids in spotlight. If you can bring in grandparents, the better. Along a same line, you can gather some friends, and visit a local nursing home to entertain residents. The key is to show that you're serious and dedicated.

(c) Once you show them that you're serious and yu won't neglect your school work, you will be in a better shape to talk to them. When you do, assure that you will pay back but *if they help you get one now, you will be happier*

And I don't have kids so take my advise with a grain of salt. I do deal with kids daily (I teach) so I kinda know.

Good luck
Chief

PS: And Lanikai is not a bad instrument either.

(c)

I agree with the above post, I love my LU-21!! Change the strings out, try some Martins, etc. until you find a kind you just fall in love with. You can do a lot with that little laminate uke, and it will make a great "anywhere" uke to bring places you don't want to bring your solid.

Top Bottom