Bluegrass for Beginners

emily95

Reaction score
Hi people out in uke world! :cool:
I have have a question: I love bluegrass music, but most of the strumming techniques I find are really complicated, and i'm a pretty mediocre player :eek: Any ideas?
Thanks!
Emily

Do you have the Bluegrass Uke book? http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Ukulele-Jumpin-Jims-Songbook/dp/1423493168
Then there is this
[video]http://ukuleleunderground.com/2010/08/uke-minutes-97-simple-bluegrass-strumming-for-the-ukulele/[/video]
and then- everything Ken Middleton does

I like Bluegrass quite a bit too....
Learn the Stanley's Angel Band first- top tune and easy to play for when you get frustrated...

I have have a question: I love bluegrass music, but most of the strumming techniques I find are really complicated, and i'm a pretty mediocre player :eek: Any ideas?
Thanks!
Emily

Emily

Bluegrass strumming doesn't have to be that difficult. You can actually use pretty much any strum you want as long as it fits in with what the person playing the tune is doing.

All of the videos and arrangements I have done are bluegrass picking, not strumming though. If can already play the uke and read simple tabs, some of my free arrangements form my website should be easy enough to learn.

Emily

Bluegrass strumming doesn't have to be that difficult. You can actually use pretty much any strum you want as long as it fits in with what the person playing the tune is doing.

All of the videos and arrangements I have done are bluegrass picking, not strumming though. If can already play the uke and read simple tabs, some of my free arrangements form my website should be easy enough to learn.

Which of your tabs free or from your books would you recommend to the beginner? OK, maybe not a beginner, but which are easiest to start with?

Thanks!
Emily

i play with a bluegrass band . i use mostly a down up strum with adding some chunking.

Yeah, Ken Middleton is a great source for this. A lot of the blue grass patterns can get broken down into finger picking pattern and strums (and combos of those), then speed the whole thing up double time!!! I get cramps in my right forearm at high speeds with some of that breakneck stuff. At first the patterns seem tough, but before you know it, you're switching back and forth with ease. Ken is a great improvisor, too. His vids are very inspiring. Start slow and master one bit at a time until you don't have to think about anymore. Try all kinds of keys on the same tunes, too. You find all kinds of things in there that never occur to you. Later stuff just pops out and you find yourself pushing it more and more. But that stuff takes a lot of time for me. Sure fits the uke, though. Keep it up!

Thank you so much guys! I think those suggestions will really help! :)

Top Bottom