let's see your favorite at rest..

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
I want to see some pictures of your favorite Uke at rest. Here is "Iz" in his bed after a long day singing.. Nestled all snug for a good night's sleep. In here is my home made humidor made from a 35mm film can. And the brown leather bag is Iz's aroma therapy. I smoke a pipe, and have always loved the smell of good pipe tobaccos, and so does Iz. I keep Black Cavendish Vanilla and Amaretto tobacco in this pouch and leaves Iz with very pleasant aromas of vanilla and almond. The grand kids love it when I break out Iz. They always climb up on my lap just to peek in the case, and sniff his odors. When he is played, even the vibrations cause his vanilla/almond aroma to fill the air. I know Iz is not all that compared to many of the awesome masterpieces some play. But, he is my favorite, and what I can afford for now. I love this uke, and among my small collection, my favorite.

180389_201718346510630_100000173975723_870811_5622949_n.jpg

Here is a close up of his Humidifier. Made from a 35mm film canister, packed with cotton and clay disks for his comfort. The clay disks are bought from a Pipe/Tobacco shop and normally used in Humidors for cigars and pipe tobaccos. They are perfect fit for the 35mm can, and work very well for a Uke humidor.
168418_201718316510633_100000173975723_870810_4606566_s.jpg

Last edited:
Some neat ideas Tudorp! I am also a pipe smoker (outside, wifey won't tolerate it in the house :)) and never thought of putting a cachet in my cases. How often do you replace the tobacco for smell? my wife loves the smell of some of my blends OUTSIDE on the porch, just not in the house. I haven't had to worry about humidity control in our area. Seems humidity maintains around 50% inside and out most of the time. Lozark

That is an awesome man! I'd almost want to throw a cigar in with mine, although I guess a pipe tobacco would be more public "friendly"! Plus it makes a great place to keep tobacco humidified...cigar or pipe blend...hmmm I wonder how a nice balkan blend would work?:cool:

The tobacco lasts a long time seeing I don't smoke what I put in the uke case. I use it just for the aroma for the uke. I put about an ounce or so in the little bag. It's no good for smoking anymore because it's been in there 8 or 9 months or so maybe even a year or better, never really did the math, or know exactly when I started doing that. But even dried out, it still maintains the aroma for the purpose it was put in there for. Im sure I will have to dump it and put new in, but after 8 or 9 months so far, I suppose an ounce will last a year or more in there for the purpose. I buy McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish, & McClelland Amaretto (6 ounces of each) every couple to 3 months, and sacrifice about a half oz each for the uke every two or three orders. I blend the two of them myself for my regular smoke and they smell the house up nice. My wife don't like the smoke either, but the aroma before and after the actual burn is very pleasant so she tollerates it when I am burning it.

But the coolest thing about it, the Uke produces the aroma when it is played. I assume it is the vibration of the strings and wood that releases it. The grand kids love it, and I get a kick out of them when they jump up in my lap and want me to take the uke out so they can smell it, hahhah.. They sit there and sniff the sound hole all the time, lol.. Cute, and will leave cool lasting memories for them when I am long worm food I think. I have very fond similar memories of my Dad and Grandfather. I used to steal their pipes and just lay on my back in the middle of the floor sniffing their pipes as a kid.

Here's one of mine trying out a new ukulele display cabinet I made in the shop. There's room to hang three. I'm busy working up a base cabinet to complete the display.

koaloha-concert.jpg

Aloha Tudorp,
I put car air freshners by the tuners....pine, rose, strawberry etc..I ljust cut the corner of the plastic bag it come is and leave
it in the bag.. as if you leave it out it may stick to the finish and damage it. It take about a month to get the full effect of it.
When I strum my ukulele, it forces the sweet scent out of the soundhole and permeates the air....real good aroma therphy...
Believe me it's an experience...females and kids seem to notice more, and seem to really like that...and ask.. Happy Strummings

That would work too Stan Brudda.. My wife is really big into aroma therapy. In fact she is a certifed aroma therapist. She used to sell custom concotions (I used to call it her witches brews, lol) of different essential oils, many of them that even help relieve arthritis, and other health issues. Ya have to be really carefull mixing some of that stuff because many of them if done in wrong porpotions can be caustic and poisenous, so she is really into knowing what she is doing with some of those oils. She makes some mix she puts on my legs that really does help blood circulation, and I believe allot of the reason I can still walk today. The more healing blood you can get in and back out of parts of the body help and speed healing and good health.

Anyway.. One of my favorite aromatic oils is Euculiptous oil. I add a drop or two in the case with Ku'u Poki'i ever so often. She loves it too.. ;)

Wow you take really sweet care of your beloved Ohana. I am not letting my ukes anywhere near this post or they may start getting ideas. They don't have names, they do have cases, accept my KPK's case is a box with duct tape outside and bubble wrap inside. However they are loved and get to come out and play often. I love the tobacco in the case. Certain perfumes make me sneeze but the earthy natural smell of tobacco. Sweet.

Wow you take really sweet care of your beloved Ohana. I am not letting my ukes anywhere near this post or they may start getting ideas. They don't have names, they do have cases, accept my KPK's case is a box with duct tape outside and bubble wrap inside. However they are loved and get to come out and play often. I love the tobacco in the case. Certain perfumes make me sneeze but the earthy natural smell of tobacco. Sweet.

No names? I have always since a teenager named my instruments, as well as my cars. In my sig is the names of my current toys, with the exception of the 98 Gibson LP, I am waiting for a name to come to me with it. I need to spend more time with that one. Since I am restoring it, I am waiting for me to get heavy into that to see what it's "personality" is. My 1948 Plymouth Sedan has always carried the name "Eleanor". That has just fit since the 1st day we owned her.

Top Bottom