Pineapple Ukulele

savagehenry

Reaction score
Looking to pick up a Pineapple Uke, not sure what to get. My budget is tight and I don't want to spend a lot, but I don't want to regret my choice. (My first thought was <$100) I was thinking that maybe I should double my budget and try the Ohana because it's solid wood.

Are there any other pineapple soprano ukes I should consider?

Under $100Makala MK-P
Kala KA-P
Kala KA-PSS

Under $200
Kamoa EP
Ohana PK-25g

Thanks,
Brian

Mainland Mahogany

I was going to get the KA-PSS but then I thought I could add a little more and get the Ohana. I guess you guys are telling me what I already know, save up and get the Mainland instead.

I honestly think the only difference between a mainland and ohana is the HoosierHiver set up and mojo.

I would get the Ohana. I have owned several Ohana made ukes and they have all exceeded my expectations.
For cost and value, I think it is hard to beat Ohana.

Looking to pick up a Pineapple Uke, not sure what to get. My budget is tight and I don't want to spend a lot, but I don't want to regret my choice.

If there is anyway to stretch the budget a bit more to around $315 (I know it's a lot when the budget it tight)... The Kiwaya KS-4P Koa laminate would be an excellent uke. Reviews of Kiwaya laminates often say they surpass many of the solid wood ukes in the same prace range in terms of sound. Build quality and intonation on Kiwaya ukes is outstanding.

The basic Flea with a poly fretboard is much more of a Pineapple sound than a standard sound. It's a bomb proof uke in the sub $200 price range.

I have a Kiwaya KTS-4 (solid mahogany soprano) and a Flea. Both strung with Worth CMs. They sound very different. Both sound good, but very different.

I honestly think the only difference between a mainland and ohana is the HoosierHiver set up and mojo.

Plus, if you buy the Mainland through UkeRepublic, you get both the original HoosierHiver mojo and set up, but also the Sailor Jim mojo and additional care if needed. Both super guys.

The Flea is indeed a pineapple, and I am happy with mine, but it just aint as pretty as the Mainland. I am happy withy my Ohana soprano (non-pineapple), so I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices.

Last edited:
Plus, if you buy the Mainland through UkeRepublic, you get both the original HoosierHiver mojo and set up, but also the Sailor Jim mojo and additional care if needed. Both super guys.

I was going to buy from UkeRepublic and to make matters more confusing he sells both, but the Mainland is $20 more.

I was going to buy from UkeRepublic and to make matters more confusing he sells both, but the Mainland is $20 more.

That rope binding is worth way more than $20 in classy looks. Heck, you can't even get an ugly hooker for that price.

Last edited:
Actually Lori, your review of the Kiwi is what made me want to get a Pineapple. I thought about getting the Pineapple silk screen like your kiwi and the more I searched the more money I was willing to spend. Not sure to stay within budget and get the KA-PSS or blow all my money on the Ohana PK-25G or Mainland.

I know, I want the concert with slotted headstock, but am saving for that. I didn't want to spend that much on a soprano pineapple.

but isn't it under $200?

If you just want a pineapple you could get a Makala for 39 bucks.

Done deal, thanks for all your input. Ken Middleton and Mike from Uke Republic helped me out: I'm buying the Ohana PK-25G with a hard case tomorrow, can't wait!!!

Top Bottom