Help me decide - Mya-Moe headstock

Chap

Reaction score
I have a Mya-Moe chocolate heart myrtle concert resonator on order (So expect to see a number of my current ukes in the marketplace soon).

But, I'm waffling over the headstock choices, so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

1- Standard (leopardwood & maple)
2- Low contrast (leopardwood & cherry)
3- High contrast (ebony & maple)
4- All chocolate heart myrtle (without the signature zig-zag)

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Signature Zig Zag for sure.
Good luck!

Gotta go with the signature zig zag. I'm not a huge fan of the high contrast...both the standard and the low contrast are nice. I chose the standard for mine.

If you're gonna Zig, you might as well Zag. High contrast. Ebony would look good with the grain of the chocolate heart.

I like the zig zag, but I like it when the lighter wood is sort of forming the Z pattern. I've seen a few of them that came out like that, and that's what I'm going to request if at all possible.

Gotta go with the signature zig zag. I'm not a huge fan of the high contrast...both the standard and the low contrast are nice. I chose the standard for mine.

I'm with Nuprin - the Mya-Moe headstock is what lets you know from a mile off that you got the real thing. And the Standard or Low Contrast also have a bit of understatement. But... digeridoo2 has a point w/teh ebony & the chocoloate heart. Dang! Now I see your dilemna!

And when you are ready to let go of that KoAloha Longneck sop, I'll be looking!

It seems unanamous. Go with the stand Mya-Moe design.

But you might consider alternate woods (leopardwood and myrtle?).

It seems unanamous. Go with the stand Mya-Moe design.

But you might consider alternate woods (leopardwood and myrtle?).

I have to stick to the options above, as they apparently pre-make them in batches.

Thanks for all the input! I'm definitely leaning toward the high contrast combined with the ebony binding now.

I have the ebony & maple on my black & white ebony resonator.
You definitely want the Mya-Moe design as others have said, that's what tells everyone you're a member of the brotherhood.
Ask Char & Gordon which looks good with the woodset for the body, they have great taste.

Go with the standard!!

I would choose ebony/ maple combination. The leopard wood is kind of a red-brown, and myrtle tends to be a cooler color tone. I think, depending on your chosen piece of wood, the ebony/ maple would be more harmonious (but very eye catching). I didn't get offered a choice when I ordered mine... but you can see the leopard/ maple combination on my myrtle concert... just got it this week!!
389Full.jpg

–Lori

I would choose ebony/ maple combination. The leopard wood is kind of a red-brown, and myrtle tends to be a cooler color tone. I think, depending on your chosen piece of wood, the ebony/ maple would be more harmonious (but very eye catching). I didn't get offered a choice when I ordered mine... but you can see the leopard/ maple combination on my myrtle concert... just got it this week!!
View attachment 20508

–Lori
Congrats Lori! How you liking it?

–Lori

Yeah, I found out it was an option by browsing the gallery on their site, it's not on the order form. I saw yours announced on Mya-Moe's Twitter....I really like it! Let us know what you think of it!

Congrats Lori! How you liking it?
I have only had an hour or two to play it since it arrived. I had them string it up in Worth low G unwound, which they warned might not have enough sustain to it. I might try some other low g options on it before I find the ideal. The other strings sound great, and the ukulele is beautiful... the feel and finish of the neck is really nice, and I really like the Peghead tuners. The high gloss polyester finish is very smooth. I had been concerned that the mahogany neck color might not go with the myrtle color, but the neck turned out really beautifully, and, though warmer in tone than the myrtle, is in harmony with the color of the sound box. I was concerned that the neck would end up looking too foreign next to the body, because occasionally I will see that on other ukes. But they made it work nicely, and were able to combine the myrtle, mahogany, walnut, maple into a cohesive design. I love the way the rope binding looks, and they chose some choice abalone for the fret markers. I went with neck binding in walnut with light colored side markers, and they look really good too. They say the instrument will "open up" in the next few months, so I not sure how much experimenting I will do with the low g string at this time. I might just leave it, and then see how I feel about it then.
The resonator sound is like I expected, different than my other ukuleles... somewhere between a regular ukulele and a banjo ukulele in tone.
–Lori

If it ain't got the zig-zag, how's everyone supposed to know it's a Mya-Moe???? You GOTS to have the zig-zag. I have no opinion as to WHICH zig-zag you should get.. but a Mya-Moe without the zig-zag is just.... somehow wrong.

I think I was one of the first to get the ebony and maple , I love it
Mya-Moec2sm.jpg

ooooooh Chap, what a choice mate!!! The only one I would rule out automatically is the low contrast option. So tough to decide. Instinct says go with the standard, but with the chocolate heart myrtle the ebony and maple would look gorgeous.

I'm having my myrtle concert built in June and am swinging between those two options. Probably leaning more towards the ebony/maple head at the moment...

Top Bottom