PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a uke you keep at work? Any recommendations?

Doc_J
02-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Anyone got a uke you keep at work?
Just curious to see who has a uke they keep at work, and what uke it is.
I'm thinking about it. Any recommendations?

I bring a uke from home occassionally (doesn't everyone), but wouldn't want to leave it there. My office has big swings in temps (60-80F) and humidity (10% to 60%).
So, it seems to me a laminate would be required (or is it?) to live at my office.

haolejohn
02-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Anyone got a uke you keep at work?
Just curious to see who has a uke they keep at work, and what uke it is.
I'm thinking about it. Any recommendations?

I bring a uke from home occassionally (doesn't everyone), but wouldn't want to leave it there. My office has big swings in temps (60-80F) and humidity (10% to 60%).
So, it seems to me a laminate would be required (or is it?) to live at my office.
I learned the hard way to not bring a nice uke to work. But I have a few dolphins that stay in my classroom as well as a solid spruce top kala travel soprano.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
02-10-2011, 08:29 AM
I generally have my Applause Acoustic (red) with me everywhere I go and I have it behind me while I'm at my desk.

I've actually left it behind a couple of times. (I do have a few more at home) usually because I'm taking home lots
of stuff.

I used to play in the staff lounge every break, except lunch. I'm currently reading a spy novel or playing with a new
Android Tablet.

Anyway, keep uke'in',

Skitzic
02-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I have a plastic princess uke under my desk. Since it's super cheap, and all plastic I don't worry about it (my office has wild temp and humidity changes as well). If I know I'm going to play at work I sometimes bring one of my others.

SailQwest
02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
My husband and I run a charter sailboat in the Caribbean. Since we live on the boat, as well as it being our business, our ukuleles are always with us.

I keep my Risa concert stick in the cockpit so it's always handy. :D

Ukulele Dude
02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
I usually keep my cigar box uke by Bluegrass Ukes at the office. It works great because the square bottom allows me to leave it 'standing' on the credenza or on my desk when I'm not using it (during the day when I'm there). It makes a good conversation piece sitting out in my office. At night it stays in its case safely tucked away in the bottom drawer of a horizontal file cabinet.

Fleas and Flukes are also good options for the office. Flat bottoms, durable plastic backs, not too pricey....

SailingUke
02-10-2011, 08:47 AM
I have a guitar hanging on the wall in my office, but usually carry a uke to work.
It depends on the circumstance, tonight I go straight from the office to a gathering so I have my DaSilva.

Swedgin
02-10-2011, 08:59 AM
I have a Mitchell MU-100 here at work. It's hanging right next to me. It stays here all the time. Saves me from lugging one in each day. People stop by from time to time and play it as well. Met a few uke players, and several more who have said "I have to get me one of those!"

grammy
02-10-2011, 09:18 AM
i keep a dolphin by the desk, it is cheap so i am not worried abotu it getting broken or nicked. it bemuses the students when they come to see me and i am strumming away though. ( i'm a head teacher in a language school)

mm stan
02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Aloha Doc_J,
A good choice is the Captain's Backpacker...it fits in your desk drawer and it's quiet enoug to play there...and if you plug it to a honeytone battery amp you can rock on..and it's light and the
overall concert length is shorter since it is headless....Check out and google Captain Ukulele....it is a reasonable priced too....a lot cheaper and other it's size and type...but well worth it...
I play mine at night in my apartment buillding with no problems...Good Luck and I hope you find your perfect office uke...MM Stan..

bbycrts
02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I have a Koloa KU-600 in my desk - solid mahogany soprano. Decent little thing, nothing fancy at all. I work in IT and the office is very climate controlled with virtually no variations in temperature or humidity. It lives locked in my desk except lunch times.

joekulele
02-10-2011, 01:09 PM
I keep one of my Fleas in my classroom during the school week but I always bring it home over the weekend. It is durable and pretty much student-proof!

fleadoc
02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
pineapple eleuke-solid- with earbuds and MP3 nice and quiet for them, loud as I like for me!

mds725
02-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I keep a tenor flea and a travel soprano in my office. My primary ukulele, a Big Island Honu tenor, sometimes spends the night in my office if have more than one ukulele event in the same week.

kayakdiver
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
I didn't before this thread started. However, tomorrow will be my trusty Makala soprano's first day at work! Such a great idea...

Susie A
02-10-2011, 02:58 PM
I usually keep my cigar box uke by Bluegrass Ukes at the office. It works great because the square bottom allows me to leave it 'standing' on the credenza or on my desk when I'm not using it (during the day when I'm there). It makes a good conversation piece sitting out in my office. At night it stays in its case safely tucked away in the bottom drawer of a horizontal file cabinet.

Fleas and Flukes are also good options for the office. Flat bottoms, durable plastic backs, not too pricey....

I have this Vineyard I keep on my desk. I am in a cube farm and so far (knock on wood) it has not strayed.

http://shop.compassmusicsales.com/assets/images/ukt55sg.jpg

pdxuke
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
+1 on the Dolphin

bluesuke
02-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes I do. I drive a Concrete mixer truck and I keep my fluke in it all the time. The fluke is darn near bullet proof and sounds great

TCK
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I have three Makala's at work- I am a teacher so they come off the wall all day. Wish I had a picture of them on their really cool hanger that ToucanMango (fellow UU'er) made me, but alas, I do not- it is exactly like this one though
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17913
He made it for me on request- I love that guy:)

bbqribs
02-10-2011, 06:29 PM
NVS! There rare times I'm at my desk at work, I'm working. I sometimes have a few minutes to play when I run home for lunch.

philxbx
02-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm a nurse in a mental health unit, and one beaten up Mahalo is having better results then a handful of Diazepam!!

Hippie Dribble
02-11-2011, 12:46 AM
similar to philxbx, I work in a dementia unit in a nursing home. I keep a little concert scale batik flea there and get to use it often in my work as a carer and diversional therapist. Music can often reach much deeper than words or medication can...so can smiles!!! :)

Mim
02-11-2011, 01:34 AM
I keep about 150 ukes at work. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I win I win! Well, unless MGM, MM, and UR chimes in... haha!

Ukulele JJ
02-11-2011, 01:52 AM
I answered "yes", but it's really only "sorta".

See, I keep my car at work, and I keep a uke in the car. So I could go down and get a uke any time I wanted. But it's not like I keep one right there in the office.

JJ

micromue
02-11-2011, 03:11 AM
Keepin a Brueko Slim-Line in my office. Best program for preserving my mental sanity.

dnewton2
02-11-2011, 05:30 AM
I used to, but I got a new job and work out of a truck a lot. So I thought it would be best to just bring one when I know I will have time to play. I dont want to keep one of my ukes in a car over night.

eleukeusa
02-11-2011, 06:49 AM
I installed string swing hangers on my desk.http://chesbrocatalog.com/corykerr/uke_desk.jpg

xjumper
02-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Currently, I have an MP baritone pineapple, a Pono mango, and a mystery baritone from the '60's. I also have a weissenborn and a tri-cone resonator guitar. And yes, I am running out of room for me.

Doc_J
02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Great to see so many of us with a uke (or more at work). I definitely have get one to keep there.
Seems like flukes, fleas, and dolphins are the most popular.

Since I really prefer a concert size I'm going to see if I can find a good used fluke, or possibly a Kala KA-C. Both should be able to take some temp and humidity swings.

experimentjon
02-11-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't. But if I did, it would probably be my flea or fluke. Maybe one day when I get a corner office, I'll keep a uke there so I can close the door and play. :)

stmace
02-21-2011, 12:36 PM
I should have a uke in my office! I work in a School of Music at a university, so the only problem would be that the next-office neighbor would pick up his guitar, come over, and we'd never get anything else done. Actually, I have merely a low-grade UAS fever, so I have only one uke at the moment, but that problem will be solved soon enough.