What do people mean by "plucky" sound?

I'd rather have my ukes sound plucky rather than plinky.

What do you call an almost banjo like sound? That's what I thought plucky meant.
Sound samples anyone?

That's what I thought as well. An almost metallic tone. For me, the opposite of plucky (when describing 'uke sound) is warm. Plucky is a derogatory term.

Plucky is almost like a dead sound, not allowed to ring out, muted, muffled, muddy, low to no sustain. The oposite would be bright, plinky, tinny. The Banjo ukes have a bright plinky sound..

"Plucky" is just one of many terms that I hear used that I wonder about. In a perfect world (a ukutopia :)) i guess there would be descriptive words linked to sound samples so that there could be some kind of agreement. Has something like this ever been done?

If anyone are willing- I would LOVE a hyper-linked sound bite, or video so I can hear what "pluck" or "plinky" or "whatever" sounds like to you. Surely this would benefit many? Sorry if I'm being obnoxious.

Tudorp- I just read your reply. That was helpful!
Is it weird that I love my ohana sk-30L because it is incredibly "plinky" (going with what you said). It is VERY banjo like. Are there other ukes out there that are well known for this quality? (Other than a bajo-ukulele that is)

Last edited:
Top Bottom