I need cheering up!

joeybug

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D

Despite the smiley at the end of the above greeting, I'm not as happy as I usually am, things at home are not good and I'm having a rough time of things. Trying to find time to always play at least one thing on the Uke so that I can put a smile on my face at least once a day. This morning my randomiser drew "The Alphabet Song" for my Daily Ukulele Challenge over at my blog and I had stopped putting it up here because of not thinking people wanted it but got some comments today to see that wasn't the case so will continue with it :D

My point, if you followed that rambling is, what's the simplest song that brought a smile to your face? I know it seems silly but I'm gonna enjoy doing The Alphabet Song, just for its simplicity..reminds me to stop and smell the roses from time to time..

Take care all and try to wear a smile, not a frown!

Joey

Aloha Joey,
Sorry to hear you feeling so down.....but I think you have the right idea, play a song that's easy and you have fun with to cheer you up....I hope it makes you happy as it should...Happy Strummings Girl! MM Stan
Take Care and God's Blessings...and Keep warm up there...

Watched the video on your blog. I thought you did a great job. Your chord changes were on the money. Keep it up. Sorry things are not going well since music cheers you up do the "sun will come up tomorrow". I bet you could do a good job with that vocally. (I don't know the chords)

Hi Joey.. Cheer up gal. The worst thing can happen to me, and all I have to think of is there are people who love me. What puts the biggest smile on my face is that the most important love I have is the love of God. I can be at my worst and he still loves me. He doesn't care what I did yesterday, or today. He only cares what I am going to do tomorrow. Find time to play. But more important, find time to pray. It works..

We all love ya here girly..

I love to play 'Sunny Afternoon" by the kinks.. Pretty easy to play. Lately I been also playing "Fat Bottomed Girls", and my wife even loves it, because she also knows "They make the rockin world go roun..." <grin>

Hi Joey,

I just checked out your cool blog, great job on Daydream Believer! The song that I first started on was Somewhere Over the Rainbow which seems to always bring smile, although I think the ukulele always sound so happy.

Cheers and cheer up!

Here's a tip that usually helps.
"Don't let your expectations exceed your achievements, but do the best you can"
This philosophy can help keep from you feeling like you have failed.
Take sometime to play music, it is relaxing and soothes the soul.
Most importantly remember your WORST day is better than some folks BEST day.

Now QUIT reading this and go play your ukulele.

Hi Joey,

Sorry to hear that you're feeling blue. "When You're Smiling" has gotten me through lots of sad and tough times. Here it is as a tutorial from the great Ukulele Mike, so you can learn to play it. You can also find a version of it on page 265 of "Daily Ukulele."

And if you can get access to it (on DVD or streaming video), watch Charlie Chaplin's "Modern Times."

Oh, and this was my 1,000th post, which made me smile. :)

Last edited:
Aw, c'mon Joeybug!

I'm 53, and I probably sing the Alphabet Song at least once a month - if for no other reason than to help with alphabetizing!

I never thought about trying it on the ukulele, though... I'm having enough problems with "Do-re-mi".. the one from the Sound of Music, not the Woody Guthrie one. (That, oddly enough, is easier for me to play.)

Keep playing, keep smiling - and remember the wonderful old Latin phrase (which I will probably get wrong): Illigitimi non carborundum est.

-Kurt

I use "Keep On The Sunny Side of Life" for that purpose. The original lyrics aren't really to my liking, so I've been singing:

[C] Well we all have our days, when [F] things don’t go our [C] way, and it seems that we can’t do anything [G7] right. But those [C]days soon come to pass, and those [F] hard times never [C] last, if you keep on the [G7] sunny side of [C] life!

[C] Keep on the sunny side, [F] always on the [C] sunny side, keep on the sunny side of [G7] life. Wear a
[C]big smile every[C7]day, and you will[F]chase the clouds[C]away if you keep on the [G7] sunny side of [C] life!

[C] Some times you’re gonna laugh and some[F]times you’re gonna [C] cry. It’s just part of a game that we all [G7] play. But [C] you can always win, if you [F] slap on a big old [C] grin, and then every day will [G7] be a sunny [C] day

[C] Keep on the sunny side, [F] always on the [C] sunny side, keep on the sunny side of [G7] life. Don’t let
[C]grey skies bring you[C7]down. Don’t let[F]raindrops make you[C]frown. Just keep on the [G7]sunny side of [C] life!

MELODY SOLO

[C] Keep on the sunny side, [F] always on the [C] sunny side, keep on the sunny side of [G7] life. Wear a
[C]big smile every[C7]day, and you will[F]chase the clouds[C]away if you keep on the [G7] sunny side of [C] life! [C7]

[Modulation]

[F] Keep on the sunny side, [Bb] always on the [F] sunny side, keep on the sunny side of [C7] life. Don’t let
[F]grey skies bring you down. Don’t let[Bb]raindrops make you[F]frown. Just keep on the [C7]sunny side of [F] life!

Thanks all of you, nice to be both reminded of some cheerful songs and also that I am cared for. I will have to have a go at some of the songs mentioned :D Thanks all of you! Bless UU for being such a great place!

Top Bottom