best strings...

UkEdman90

Reaction score
for a concert ukulele?? anyone? d[-_-]b

Best strings for a concert is not enough information.

However, everyone puts on nylguts and are pleased, you would probably be pleased as well.

It kind of depends on what kind of sound you like, what string tension you like, and what sounds and feels good to you on a particular uke.

So experiment!

I tend to like bright sounding strings with a fast and bold attack, and relatively low string tension - that means I tend to Aquila nylguts best on most ukes. I like how they feel, I like how they sound, and they enahnce my playing style, making my playing sound phatter.

Lots of folks love flourocarbon strings, like Worth Brown's (mellow sounding), Worth Clear's (brighter sounding), Fremont blackline (on the brighter side), Koaloha Clear's (bright sounding), but I don't care for them. I don't like the feel of their super thin gauge, and most importantly, when I play my ukes with them, the tone sounds thin to me and lacking in sustain.

I also tried Ko'olau gold's which I totally hated - sounded deader than a doornail to me, but I've heard other folks play with them and they sounded super mellow/cool. I just don't have the technique to bring out their qualities.

I have found that different strings can make a ukulele sound like a completely different instrument.

So everybody and every uke is different - I had a lot of fun spending $50 just to try out different strings on my ukes to see what I thought. I've gone back to my Aquila's in every case though.

Uke strings made by "Howie".......tee hee

What LoMa said in paragraph 1 about Aquila Nylguts, I am exactly the same.

But, the other day I picked up Mahao Concert which had D'Addario strings on and they sounded pretty good and the feel of them seemed ok as well.
Couple that with the standard strings sent out with Flea's and Fluke's, Hilo I think they are called, and they sound ok to me as well, although they do seem a little thin on the fingers.

Which convinces me that there is no set answer to your question because I to will be trying out lots of different strings because although I may still settle on the Nylguts in the end, there might be something out there that I may like better - or better for the kind of Uke you have.

LoMa gave you a good guide though.

If you read a lot about strings you'll see that Worth Browns and Aguila Nylguts pop up a lot. They are both excellent strings, but different as night and day. A lot of people play both, since they can be more suited to different ukes.

I have Hilo Blacks which come on the Flukes and Fleas. On my flea it took them two months to mellow out and for some of the annoying satin finish to wear off the strings.

Top Bottom