Your uke and airport security

pepamahina

Reaction score
I'm getting on a plane on Saturday and carrying my uke on. Should I take the humidifiers out and check them? I have an oasis humidifier and a separate little humidifier that I keep near the headstock in the case. Also, anyone have any experiences to share in general regarding airport security and your uke?
Thanks!

Might not hurt to check the humidifiers just to avoid having to explain what they are and hope that security believes you. The uke itself is no problem. If you have an electronic tuner make sure the batteries are good (yeah, security actually wanted me to turn the Fishman on so they could see it was really a tuner a few months ago).

John

Can you bring a tenor as carry on?

I'm getting on a plane on Saturday and carrying my uke on. Should I take the humidifiers out and check them? I have an oasis humidifier and a separate little humidifier that I keep near the headstock in the case. Also, anyone have any experiences to share in general regarding airport security and your uke?
Thanks!

I usually take mine out & put them in the "quart sized zip-lock" & sometimes w/checked baggage... but, this week, I forgot to take them out (an oasis hanging from the strings & a herco) and it went through w/o a problem. Pickup & all - go figure. Guess I would have had to have been an 80 yr. old w/a walker to garner any suspicion. (I fly every week in/out through Atlanta - it never ceases to amaze me who gets flagged & frisked.)

No problem going through security last month with my Kamaka soprano, humidifier and tuner. Left the humidifier and the tuner in the case. Travel quite often and have never had a problem.

Top Bottom