Anybody else's pets love their ukulele?

Lola

Reaction score
We have three cats and two big dogs. Until about 2 weeks ago, the cats didn't pay attention and the dogs were indifferent or slightly afraid if I was walking around with it. Nobody paid much attention to the sound.

All of a sudden, my cat Olivia can't get enough. If I'm playing on a couch or reclining in a chair (which I've done a lot lately after my concussion :(), she must be on me, and ideally with her face touching the ukulele. (Yes, that makes it difficult to play.) I gather she likes the vibrations? If I'm playing at the other end of the house, she finds me. I'm not usually one to brag about adorableness of my own pets, but this is just too cute.

237183447.jpg

The only song she can't abide is Barenaked Ladies' "Hello City," but that might be more my, erm, enthusiastic strumming on that one.

I was really worried that the pets would hate it, but I lucked out. Who else has had happy pet-ukulele interactions?

I adopted an Italian Greyhound puppy from rescue about six months ago. She is alwaya around me when I play uke. A lot of times at night I play on the sofa after my wife goes to bed and early on the greyhound started falling asleep next to me while I played. Now, when she has crazy puppy energy and we want her to mellow out my wife tells me to take the dog in the front of the house and play uke.....and every time the pup curls us next to me and goes to sleep. One night I was playing and set my Kamaka down next to me....and she stretched out and put her leg over it.....so I snapped this picture.

attachment.php

When not in use, my cat likes to sit on mine.

My pets seem indifferent to them when I play them, want to sleep among them but that could just be them being weird...the cats not the Ukes!

My dog has to sit by me everytime I play. Have a brother-in-law who has three parakeets. When I play you should hear them sing. When I stop they stop. Kinda cool.

My cats can be in a dead sleep, and when I start playing, they awaken, and gather around me, purr like crazy and want to be loved on. The two videos I just made, you can see, when I'm playing the Eleuke, they're both hovering and sniffing around the amp like they can't get enough. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.... if they start meowling when I start singing, then I'll start to worry. :D

Not so much with the uke, but my one cat loves guitar music. He comes out of no where whenever someone starts playing guitar and watches.

My cats can take it or leave it. The uke playing puts my dogs to sleep...but almost anything makes them sleepy.

I almost started a thread like this a few weeks ago.. I have 4 cats, and unlike the other 4 family members in my house, they seem to enjoy my playing. One cat in particular is always sitting on my case when I am playing or not, loves to sit. Like he is protecting it.
My uke has abalone inlay on it, and sometimes when the sun hits it, it sparkles on the walls.. so that is distracting to both of us because then I start tormenting him with movement of the sparkles..he loves it. On another note when I play, he just sits nice and listens to me... The other ones come around too not as much. I rely on Cupid, as my regular audience and confidence booster.. Pets are the best!

Freckleduker my 15 yr old son was watching your eleuke sound video with me, I was trying to show him what I would be getting.. instead he giggled incessantly at your cats playing with the amp! I dreamed all night about he unveiling of my own eleuke... How am I going to survive until I can get one?

One of my dog is the kind of dog who eats TV remotes. Unsurprisingly I never let him near my ukes.

My other loves my uke, will come sit on my lap as I play it. either that or he's jealous that I'm giving it more attention than him.

Both of my dogs love when I play guitar and Uke. They both will curl up on the couch next to me an fall asleep.

My dogs love uke and singing... they zone out and fall asleep when I pick up the uke. My birds really love the upbeat tunes and one of them, Atticus, will hop around and whistle at the top of his voice when I sing high notes.

Oh, and I also "caught" Bessie the other day with the Kamaka. ;)

007-3.jpg

Pets are the best!

Freckleduker my 15 yr old son was watching your eleuke sound video with me, I was trying to show him what I would be getting.. instead he giggled incessantly at your cats playing with the amp! I dreamed all night about he unveiling of my own eleuke... How am I going to survive until I can get one?

I didn't even realize they were back there! I watched the video and laughed, too. My first Rogue baritone video I made yesterday was a bust because my cat kept jumping on my lap wanting love. I'm glad your son enjoyed it. I could barely stand the anticipation of waiting a week to get mine, I'm not sure how you can survive! Keep yourself busy, I suppose. Bake a lot. Your family will enjoy the spoils. :D

My Jack Russell (Jessie) loves to sit near me when I play the Uke, but when I bring out the harmonica she growls along with it.

It does crack up the family, me on the harp accompanied by Jessie.

I didn't even realize they were back there! I watched the video and laughed, too. My first Rogue baritone video I made yesterday was a bust because my cat kept jumping on my lap wanting love. I'm glad your son enjoyed it. I could barely shtand the anticipation of waiting a week to get mine, I'm not sure how you can survive! Keep yourself busy, I suppose. Bake a lot. Your family will enjoy the spoils. :D

Luckily I have my beautiful luna to strum on.. UUU starts next week too.. SO I will be busy, I have hardly made much progress and hoping UUU will help and of course getting a new uke will be awesome too..

Top Bottom