PDA

View Full Version : First jam session

docryf
02-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I went to my first Jam in a local Pub last night. Still buzzing and humming the tunes this morning.
I only got my Ohana Tenor just before Christmas and I've never played in public like that before so I was nervous but pleased to be taking part instead of just listening full of envy.
The format is that all the players sit round the edge of the room and each player takes his turn to play whatever.
It's simply acoustic music so I took my Trumpet along too and it seemed to go well.

Everyone there was most supportive and any mistakes were just treated as part of the act.

At 59 it's great to be doing it at last instead of just dreaming about it and I want more:drool:

A highly recommended pastime.

bottlegreen
02-11-2011, 02:03 AM
That's fantastic! I just had my first jam session, too: I visited a guitar-playing friend and we played through all the songs I knew. He showed me some new songs, and introduced me to bands I hadn't heard before (or perhaps dodn't pay much attention to). We covered everything from the "Rise Up Singing" book to Ween and Pulp. It was hilarious and fun, and I learned a lot.
It's such an amazing experience, to be able to create music with someone. I felt... changed in some way. My perspective had shifted and suddenly the world just seemed like a sweeter, brighter place. Now I'm home, in my little town where I have no musical friends, and I'm lonely.
I really needed that pos. reinforcement, though. My friend had tried to teach me guitar for 6 years and I was dismal. It was such an ego boost to hear him say he was impressed that I could play all that after only a few weeks. It makes me want to work harder - and it makes him want an uke! :D

roxhum
02-11-2011, 02:20 AM
I am so happy for you and totally understand. I too am getting older and never played a string instrument in my life until August 8th of last year when my little ukulele came in the mail. I go to a monthly ukulele group and just week went to an all acoustic jam session. I never knew what a thrill it was to make music with other people. I think it also is good for learning and my experience has been that the people are awesome and just want to make music together and help and encourage the newbies. A whole new world is opening up. Congrats!

Blisters_left
02-11-2011, 02:32 AM
Wow - that's absolutely great !!!
I've not been part of any jam session yet, but I can imagine how good this has to be - congrats for mastering your first evening playing in public - hope 4u there will be many more !

B_L

Nickie
02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
WTG, guys! This is the kind of stuff that makes me feel good. I'm 59 too (Going on 21) and just started with the ukulele. This evening, I'm having dinner with a friend who found out I bought one, so she bought one too, but can't play it yet. I've agreed to try to teach her some things. Hope I don't screw up!

Skadar
02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Very cool! I went to my first ukulele meetup a few weeks ago. I was definitely nervous while driving there, but after stepping through the door everything was okay. Everyone sat in a big circle and we each got to choose a song from a song book in turn. Everybody played together. It was pretty cool.

SailingUke
02-11-2011, 10:34 AM
I think the really cool thing about ukulele groups is how new folks are always treated well.
I have played guitar for many years and would go to jams where it was a big cliche, outsiders were treated like outsiders.
I have never been to a ukulele group where I got that feeling, even with long established groups.
I do encourage all to practice good jamming manners, don't be overbearing or hog the spot light, don't play over the leader.
The ukulele is a very social instrument which is one of the reasons it is so popular.
One of the quickest ways to improve your playing is to play with a group.
Learn a few 2 or 3 chord songs that everyone knows. Lead a few of those in a group and you will be an instant hit.
Look at the age of the players in the group, if they have grey hair, pick some old standards.
If they are all 20 somethings, then you pick some modern popular stuff.