Cracked, Split Fingers

Papa Tom

Reaction score
As my brand new Rally banjolele sits patiently waiting to be played, my hands are finally beginning to heal a little bit from this brutal New York winter.

One thing that MAY have helped is a laborer's hand cream someone recommended. It's called O'Keefe's Working Hands and it's available at Lowes Home Centers and other hardware retailers. It's a bit expensive (I paid $8.99 for 3.4 oz at a Mom & Pop shop) and it didn't perform miracles right away, but I believe I am seeing an improvement now - even though the weather is still frigid and I am still hacking away at ice and snow with my hands.

If anyone else is having trouble fingering their frets or strumming their strings because of dry, cracked fingers, give this stuff a shot!

Or try a product called "No Crack." Seriously, that is the name. They have formulations for day use and night use. The stuff works.

If it gets really bad, the dr. can give you a prescription for a steroid based cream that will work great overnight.

>>>>Or try a product called "No Crack." <<<<<

I would throw away my nine dollar tub of O'Keefe's and buy this one JUST for the name!

Sounds like you have dyshidrosis..

..or "hand dermatitis", dyshidrotic eczema (various names). Google dyshidrosis for more info on available treatments.

Good luck!

Hope it clears up soon Tom. The harsh winters will come to an end before you know it.

I get occasional bleeding, painful cracks around my fingernails in the winter. Try to keep my hands dry, but that's not always possible. Have used liquid bandaids, etc. Nothing has worked really great. Believe it or not, I've just started using superglue and it's the best by far. You have to be careful while it's drying not to touch anything or other fingers, but once dry, it's the best and lasts the longest. The cracks really have a chance to heal up and they don't seem to come back as easily. I've also been applying it to my strumming fingernails and it builds them up nicely and makes them stronger. Once again, just be careful.

I get sore skin everywhere, but am blessed to not have it on my hands so I can still play without discomfort...hope your hands heal quickly!

Yeah this is the reason Anders won't jam with me. His hands are a disaster area. Even something like a low-action uke would kill. And forget the bass. Nothing he's tried in all his years works. There's no way I'll get him to try glue though. :)

I just use a few different unscented hand lotions. Have done so for years.

Face it - I spent 24 years as a firefighter/paramedic in upstate NY winters, with the constant handwashing, chapping, wet leather gloves in sub-zero temps... My fingertips crack and bleed like there is no tomorrow. I find that I just apply the lotions, and strum rather than fingerpick until it gets better.

My MD recommended slathering my hands with Vaseline and wearing cotton tubesocks on my hands at night. Some folks I know use bag balm, and wear gloves over top. If the cracking is really bad, Ill load the fingers of the gloves with lotion, and wear either vinyl or nitrile gloves overnight.

Since my current job as a barista entail frequent hand-washing, as well as using an ammonia-based sanitizer solution, the cracking is back. But the Shakai hand lotion I use (also way expensive) seems to work.

-Kurt

Last edited:
Another thing that can help quite a bit though it's no miracle cure is plain old water - inside you, not on your hands. Many skin and nail problems result from inadequate hydration - and it's very easy to get dehydrated in winter because you don't "feel thirsty" like you do when it's 900 degrees in the shade!

John

>>>>Or try a product called "No Crack." <<<<<

I would throw away my nine dollar tub of O'Keefe's and buy this one JUST for the name!

No Crack is available athttp://www.duluthtrading.com

Duluth Trading Company has a LOT of classy work clothes for men and women, and much other stuff, too. I think the No-Crack is $14 for a 16oz tub. There are both unscented, and lavendar versions. (they also sell "longtail" t-shirts, to combat "plumbers butt".)

-kurt

Last edited:
>>>>I never realized they made something for this. I got a bad one a few months ago and it really hurt when I played. <<<<

You mean Plumber's Butt? Why would that hurt when you play the ukulele? ;)

>>>>I never realized they made something for this. I got a bad one a few months ago and it really hurt when I played. <<<<

You mean Plumber's Butt? Why would that hurt when you play the ukulele? ;)

Well, it could hurt badly if you're on the receiving end....

-Kurt

>>>>Well, it could hurt badly if you're on the receiving end....<<<<

Cheez...and I thought MY post was tasteless!

Ah hum...'guess we ought to move on now. :)

Top Bottom