Suspended Chords

hansb

Reaction score
I've become a fan of the suspended chords, both sus2 and sus4. When arranging a song, I like to put the chord names in-line (in parentheses) within the song text. Unfortunately, when switching back and forth between, say, a major and a suspended chord, the lines can get long.

Is there a short-form symbol that can be used in place of "sus" in the name of the chord?

Alternatively, I'm tempted to just add comments for the song indicating that a particular chord really means alternating between the chord and some suspended chord. I could use a tab notation, but I like to be concise, with as big a text font as possible and still fit songs on one page.

Any comments or suggestions?

Hello

I've never come across a shorthand for sus chords.

This is a rahter comprehensive article about chords and their shorthands, but the only thing it says is "sus4" can be shorted to "sus". You save one letter!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_names_and_symbols_(jazz_and_pop_music)

Suspended chords are unique and have their own sound so I don't think you want to neglect that in your notation.

Cheers
Chief

True. Suspended chords can make or break an arrangement. The song I'm working on now is Heroes, by David Bowie, where the signature riff goes like this:

| D6 D D D | D6 D D D | G Gsus2 Gsus2 Gsus2 | G Gsus2 Gsus2 Gsus2 | ...

I never like to omit the "4" from "sus4" chords, especially if a song includes both "sus4" and "sus2" chords. But sometimes, I'm tempted to use "s2" and "s4".

I've seen them written sometimes without the "sus". G2 or G4, for example. Although I guess it helps if the number is raised up slightly (superscript).

JJ

I've seen them written sometimes without the "sus". G2 or G4, for example. Although I guess it helps if the number is raised up slightly (superscript).

JJ

+1 - the G2 and G4 are pretty standard notation. Just as most guitarists, at least, will recognize G5 as the so-called "power chord."

John

Top Bottom