PDA

View Full Version : Trade Kanilea Tenor

d-mace
02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I have a mint condition Kanilea Tenor K-1 SF with case that I am interested in trading. I love the sound...which is why I bought it. Try a2055520555s I might I just can't get into the higher tension of the strings without tuning it down. Build quality, action and intonation are outstanding.

Looking for the following to trade for:
- Kamaka concert
- Kanilea concert
- Longneck Koaloha soprano

Let me know if you've been wanting a tenor.

WhenDogsSing
02-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Have you tried lighter gauged strings?

ukedude808
02-11-2011, 10:55 AM
yeah, I would look into different strings. I use the D'addario hard T2's on my Kanile'a tenor and I get great tension. You really just have to experiment with different strings.

d-mace
02-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Have you tried lighter gauged strings?

I have...I tried some Worth concert/soprano strings but thought they sounded really thin, especially when strummed. Any other string recommendations?

d-mace
02-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I use the D'addario hard T2's on my Kanile'a tenor and I get great tension.

These have been my favorites so far. I even bought the smaller guage ones but I still was tuning it down to A# because I didn't notice any drop in tension. The other thing I found with these strings was difficulty keeping them in tune. I would tune it up and then a minute later they would be really sharp.

PhilUSAFRet
02-11-2011, 01:48 PM
How about Worth browns?

d-mace
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
How about Worth browns?

I tried the BM's on it which are fantastic on the soprano but they were really thin sounding on the tenor....especially when strummed. I did try some CT's but thought the tension was really high....it mostly irrates my thumb. I've always assumed that the browns and clears were the same tension...no?

Teek
02-11-2011, 06:21 PM
They aren't the same. Clears feel higher tension to me and are brighter, and are what I finally settled on for my Kanile'a tenor. I did just get some Southcoast Ukes strings, including a set of linear tuning for tenor, but have not tried them. I have Worth Browns on a vintage mahogany tenor and they are very nice for that. I did have a Pono and replaced it with the Kanile'a because the tension seemed so awfully high with Aquilas and the uke wasn't very loud, then I tried Worth Browns and the voice was still soft but the tension much better; it was not until I put the Worth Clears on it that it really sang, and by then I had the Kanile'a and had to pay for it, so the Pono had to go.

If you love the sound and the feel but have issues with the strings, it may be something you can work out. Some ukes take a number of tries to get the right match.

I have Worth Brown medium tenor strings on a baritone, and it sounds awesome! Tuned to A.

d-mace
02-12-2011, 07:00 AM
They aren't the same. Clears feel higher tension to me and are brighter, and are what I finally settled on for my Kanile'a tenor. I did just get some Southcoast Ukes strings, including a set of linear tuning for tenor, but have not tried them. I have Worth Browns on a vintage mahogany tenor and they are very nice for that. I did have a Pono and replaced it with the Kanile'a because the tension seemed so awfully high with Aquilas and the uke wasn't very loud, then I tried Worth Browns and the voice was still soft but the tension much better; it was not until I put the Worth Clears on it that it really sang, and by then I had the Kanile'a and had to pay for it, so the Pono had to go.

If you love the sound and the feel but have issues with the strings, it may be something you can work out. Some ukes take a number of tries to get the right match.

I have Worth Brown medium tenor strings on a baritone, and it sounds awesome! Tuned to A.

Teek, thanks for all the info and sharing your experience. Which South Coast Uke strings did you buy? I know they have a heavy set that is made for tuning down to A. I really like their light set for soprano. Also, you mention Worth Brown medium tenor strings above. Are these the BM's?

Teek
02-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Brown medium tenor strings on the vintage tenor, but they are reentrant. The uke is a Japanese copy of a Martin tenor from the 60's-70s. Looks, feels and sounds like a Martin but at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. I had it out last night for two hours and it is settling in with the strings and is finally getting a proper level of humidity because it's sounding really sweet and clear. It was not cared for and was strung up with something horrible when I got it, maybe Martin Crystal strings? They look like something you would call crystal, but feel like crap, very thick, horrible tension and sound.

I got Southcoast's linear ukulele set and a combo pack of light and medium gauge. I have no idea if I will like them, but have two ukes in mind to try the light and medium on, and was going to try the linear on the Kanile'a. I did listen to all of their sound samples but those are their own ukes too.

The same WBM tenor strings on the baritone are super. You'd think the sound might be thin, but it's clear with nice sustain. The bari is an old circa 60s Ginannini, mahogany, and it really is a neat uke. The tuning never matters because we usually don't even try to play together yet. The strings at this tuning are supple and easy to bend but there is no thunky sound, just very clear and bell like to my ears. I paid $50 for this uke on eBay plus $15 shipping and a cheap set of Gotoh tuners, and have never felt the need for another bari because it sounds so sweet. It solves the problem of wanting linear tuning on unwound strings that sound great. John Kavannagh is the one who told me how to string it up like a long scale tenor.

If I get a chance to swap the Worth clear strings out on the Kanile'a tenor for the Southcoast this weekend I will let you know how they sound and feel.

I don't think anyone here is trying to talk you out of selling so much as we have had the experience of being frustrated with a uke that we have not found the right strings for. I never would have bought the Kanile'a if I had found the right strings for the Pono (not that I would part with the kanile'a NOW, I just would have been content with the Pono, which was a lovely PKT-1, all koa). I thought it was the uke. When I played them side by side (Aquilas came on the Kanile'a) I could barely hear any difference. The Aquilas were new and hadn't gotten muddy yet. The volume jumped right up on the Pono and the tension felt fine. The Kanile'a's superior build showed, but it wasn't worth $500 extra for the Kanile'a new over what I paid for the Pono used. I got the Pono because the PO had had the same problem with finding the right strings. He had Aquilas on it, they weren't right for that uke. I think they are overrated personally.

d-mace
02-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Silly me....I had tried out BL's which is why they were so thin sounding. I just put on some BM's I had and they sound good. So far they are only tuned up to A#. Anything higher and it starts feeling stiff and really bright for my style and thumb. On another note, every string set I've tried on the Kanilea has sounded good and I haven't noticed as big of a difference like I have with other uke string changes.

I think I need a longneck soprano that sounds like a tenor.

Ken Middleton
02-13-2011, 07:27 PM
pono made a major survey of all solid mahogany uke looks amazing .. Remember that sound is much better and mahogany high pressure laminate. or you can go with a K brands.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that a laminate Pono has a better sound that solid wood uke?